Sign in to follow this  
bbg

Pilates - anyone does this?

I recently lost 8 kgs and only have 5 to lose before I am 59kg (I am 170cm tall). Once I lose all the weight, I am thinking of starting a fitness plan because i NEVER EVER want to put on that weight again (well unless Im pregnant).

I like to swim but apart from that I was thinking of doing pilates.. One of my colleague swears by it. She has a great body, flat tummy etc.

Any of you have tried pilates? Is it good and can you recommend some places which has pilates classes (Around Bangsar, Hartamas or Damansara)

Thanks

Never did pilate before although I am quite interested. Right now I am into yoga. Would like to try pilate at california fitness. However, the class schedule does not fit into mine. Must adjust my schedule to at least try it once and see how it goes

Hello,

I have done pilates before but let me have my own opinion first k..

well i think to have any forms of exercise, you need to eat well..

for that kinda tall person (170cm) i think its consider healthy if you are about 60kg. You could check on your BMI too. :)

Anyway, pilates is a good form exercise whereby you will learn how to breath properly and also doing the exercise correctly. this will ensure great results if you know how to control your breathing.

Breathing is not easy to master in pilates. Compared to yoga, it is more towards flexibility of the bones. For pilates is more towards muscle and body strength. If i am not mistaken, there is another topic under pilates in this forum. Do search for it for more information :)

Hope my words does not bore you. :lol:

WildBerry, of course your words dont bother me :)

Yup I think for my height 60 is ok but I think 60 is the most i want to be. So if i fluctuate between 58-60 is ok..

How is yoga though? Does it help in posture, abs, weight etc

Ever since I started practising yoga, I noticed that my legs and thighs are firmer and leaner. As for weight, not much that I noticed as I am considered quite slim already. Also 170cm tall and weight 53kg. But my sis in law definitely benefited from yoga in terms of weight loss. Posture... a bit but I guess it will take me a long time to correct my posture as I am severely hunched.

Makeupjunk: I think you got me wrong. I have not done any pilates yet but I plan to go for it. I recently joined California Fitness in Mid Valley. They are offering yoga and pilates classes. So one of these days I will join their pilates class. As for yoga, I went for yoga class in Cheras previously but I will stop that as I will go for the yoga class in california fitness as well.

I do pilates by myself at home. I went for a few pilates classes last year and picked up things that I want to work on (abs, thighs n bum, shoulders, overall conditioning) and practise it at home nowadays cause the classes were expensive. I also have a pilates DVD that I refer to at times when I'm doing pilates. Overall I really enjoy pilates, it definitely tones my body and makes me feel healthier :) yup it's also a practice of controlling your breathing so it's quite challenging. I don't know whether it helps to lose weight cause I'm not targetting on losing weight, I'm only looking to keep toned and healthy.

wow, ur tall and slim!!!!!! what's ur secret? :D

pilates is interesting but it isnt all that cheap yea?

fluene, i see. no problem. sorry mis-undertood. ya , i saw 1U california fitness also has yoga classes rpomo, it sd over 100 classes every wk...

actually, pilates & yoga, what's the diff? i am practising yoga at home now, i once took classes but very hard to follow the schedule cuz most of it dont fit my time table. so, i stopped aft i pick up the basic then practise at home, more convenient this way.

BBQ, a friend of mine goes to Nubody in Damansara Heights for Pilates and is quite happy there. The have both mat and reformer classes

There's also True Fitness in Sri Hartamas that has Pilates mat classes 4 times a week. I have the schedule times for that if you want.

And a good Pilates DVD is Pilates for Dummies. Not sure if that's available here. I bought a copy of a friend of mine.

Hope this helps.

Edited by k3n

well, for posture wise, I dont think yoga and pilates will help because both of these exercise is mainly focusing on toning up your body and to gain body flexibility. But for tonning, pilates is good enough!! :thumbup1:

wow, ur tall and slim!!!!!! what's ur secret? :D

Are you referring to me? Well, if yes, then thank you. If not, then paiseh paiseh! Thanks to my parents genes for my height. As for slim, I used to be very skinny. It hurts when people say that you are so skinny. Some people even think that I am malnourished. Now, gained some weight and at least look healthier.

I am not so sure about the difference between yoga and pilates. I used to practice yoga at home through dvd. It was effective but later I joined a yoga class a I wanted to be sure that I practise it correctly.

Ever since joining a class, I realise that there are things you can never learn through dvd and it is best to join a class. Plus, with other people around practising with you, you won't tend to give up so easily. It is motivation.

One funny thing though. The first time I joined a yoga class in California Fitness, I did not bring my own mat as the mat is provided there. Gosh! The mat stinks like .. I don't know how to describe. Ever since then, I brought my own mat.

Did you get my PM bbq? I'm not sure if I sent it cos I think I unchecked my send copy to Sent folder. Either that or I'm just forgetful!

This thread is old but i am interested to add up. I prefer pilates than yoga. no muscle group is under or over trained. tone up the body, relaxing, enjoyable and strengthen muscle. who doesn't like it?

i have done pilates but follow video in youtube! it works wonders!!! but u have to be consistences!!
here's one of my favourite video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdMptxZv4hQ

Yoga is great. Last time I practiced yoga for a year plus. I had a lot of strength and became very flexible. It has been 3 years now. Just a month ago, I started picking it up again and I can feel my body aching all over. And it's very stiff. However, I can feel my body slowly gaining strength and flexibility again.

Wish to try pilates. Bought a few pilates dvd but not disciplined enough to follow through.

i'm not sure about pilates but i've been joining this fitness center in pj called WorldStars Fitness Center for 1 year already, mostly doing yoga. the place is a fitness center for women only. the members are very friendly and i dont have to feel shy when working out with them. i like their yoga classes and zumba dance classes. u tend to sweat a lot but it's really good!

now they have promotion rm100 for 10 classes a month. best part is, no contract! they can even do special class for u at the studio or outdoor (anywhere u like) with min 10 pax in a group. sometimes i do with all my girlfriends at a park nearby our house during the weekend.

u guys should try :)