Sign in to follow this  
coca

Traveling Far

Juz wan to travelling far and get out of normal working life. juz got the feel of wan go hk but maybe is go hk alone . but as long as i can speak cantonese , its not a big problem at all to me. going alone is very fun too biggrin.gif

COca,

Yes, travelling alone is fun as you are not stressed with a friend who maybe have different opinions than yours. then you'll be thinking 'if i eat here, she may not like it' etc etc. smile.gif do it. it's only HKG!

You feel excited, anxious, a bit scared, but in the mean time you'll feel free, proud that you've taken this step. It's like when you passed thru the immigration and customs, there's no going back until you've made your trip.

Wow~ I love that feeling. wink.gif

There was this one time, my friends and i just got back to the hotel after a whole days' tour of Paris. I then realised that i forgot to go to HRC to get t-shirts. I told my friend 'hey, i'm gonna go to HRC, dun worry, will be safe'. I felt so free taking the subway on my own, at the same time afraid of losing my way and not being able to speak french. it was awesome. well maybe this isn't categorized as 'travelling alone' but i made it from hotel to HRC and back to hotel... safely. i even managed to buy the subway ticket from the counter!

I went to Japan alone the second time. I made lots of friends in turn and it was the best time of my life. As long as there's shopping and food, you'll never get bored.

ohmy.gif it seem that u always travel alone before dry.gif where hv u been to ? biggrin.gif

Shaz : whens ur next trip tongue.gif need some motivation here

Feet : LOL yeah im saying you tongue.gif where else did u go travel alone before ?

share a bit la biggrin.gif

Fu : WOW going there more than once. it seems that ur pretty brave for a girl ohmy.gif

hmm....i always think that if go travel self. it's always good that u can make ur decision on what to do. but if eating , will ppl be looking at u with a strange look ?

or when u arrive in a tourist spot , so there will be a bunch of tourists but you just self . . . tongue.gif will ppl look at u strange ? coz tat is really annoying . espeically when eating

Coca,

I'm planning for New Zealand next year. Actually was planning for May 06 but now have to postponed to August or September maybe. But then i'll still go and get the ticket during MAS Fair.

I change my mind alot so these are the places that i may want to go next year. New Zealand (Auckland, Wellington & Rotorua), Australia (Melbourne & GOld Coast, i love aus!!!), Italy (Rome, Milan, Florence, Venice), Switzerland (dunno the city's name tongue.gif), Paris (AGAIN! maybe want to go to disneyland the next time around), HKG (disneyland la!), Spain. That's bout it at the moment. I'm gonna go to the places that i've never been to first..... later only make 2nd trip!

why u so scared to makan urself? If ppl stare, let them stare, just think 'never seen lenglui/chai b4 isit?'. hahahaha just be yourself. it doesn't matter if ppl think you look touristy or not. Don't worry, most of the ppl that you meet overseas (when u ask for directions n stuff) are really nice. They say that there's a lot of thieves n etc in Paris. Where got.... as long as you dun expose ur belongings and not wear tons of jewelry, shouldn't be a prob. dun worry too much, the more u worry, the worse u feel. MALAYSIA(n's) boleh!

Went from Malaysia to Changi Airport in Singapore, then flew to Seoul, South Korea, then to Toronto, ON, then to Thunder Bay.

biggrin.gif planning some trips too huh dry.gif do u know wats the cheap accomodation can get in HK ?

If stay in those hotel in HK , its like RM200-300 averaging for low season which means can't stay too long in HK mad.gif Is there any way or place to stay in HK for a cheap and long ? Any hotels ? except those "hotels' la tongue.gif

Come share all the solo experience too so tat can get motivation to solo travel dry.gif

Coca,

Try booking from websites. They do offer cheaper rates than actually booking through travel agencies or calling the hotel urself.

some sites u should check out.

www.lastminute.com (not sure if there's an asian website for this)

asiarooms.com

Try to do a search!

Good luck!

i went to sydney march last yr wif my frens.. they went for buss and i follow them for vacation. they need to work from 9 to 5 so i decided to travel myself around the city..

i was very excited but not scare at all becoz i did a lot of homework before i went here so i kinda familiar the streets and etc.. i spent 3 days there and the 1st 2 days was travelling alone... it was fun to travel alone, i can stay in a shop as long as i want without worry that my fren is waiting.. i can change my plan anytime i want...and the most important thing is u'll feel proud of urself coz u din get lost in the city biggrin.gif

so, some advice here, if u want to travel alone, make sure u plan ur trip well, do a bit of homework, get a good map (i like those map wif details of all the public transportation) and plan ur trip like where to visit and wat is the special food over there.. i actually send an email to the tourist department at sydney and request for a free guide with map. they post a travel guide wif lots of discount voucher in 1 week time thumbup.gif

other than that, make sure u check the weather forecast. if it's a rainy season then make sure u bring ur umbrella wif u..

the only bad thing of travel alone is u will need to ask stranger to take photo for u wink.gif

what aileen said are all true so pls do ur homework b4 u travel. I do my homework b4 I travel! It's much better to know what to do rather than reaching there and then only plan. a waste of time, really.

I always go travelling alone but not recommended for first timer. For first timer you should go somewhere like Sillypore or Thailand.

Backpackers are for more experiences traveler cause you don't want your tour turn sour right.

Just my 2 cent

I havent quite travelled alone although I've spent some time discovering Auckland and Singapore on my own (bunked with friends but ventured through the cities with just my camera as companion). And what liberating experiences they were!

Anyways, I recently browsed through an online travel journal and came across this superb idea. When travellin alone, the one thing I'm most concerned of is accomodation so i'm making this offer to anyone who's travelling to Brisbane, Australia; you're welcomed to stay with me (ladies only, sorry =P). Just let me know earlier and I'll be glad to be your host.

And I wish to see more babes offering to take part in this fun 'partnership'. Who knows what great new friends we'll make along the way?

Cheers,

i've been travelling a lot in my life...and backpacking as well...

been to NZ and Australia on my own...it's a mix type where some areas I stayed at the motel and some I did hometsay with locals...

yes, homework is very important...

If you are planning to do backpacking, few items that need to be prepared before you make a move from one place to another...

1) Always keep the emergency numbers (police)

2) Know where the nearest medical center and police station

3) Get the tips of DO/DON'T stuff to avoid you fall into trouble..

4) Map...

5) Do not go in a big group (backpacking) ..I would suggest 4 is max...

I'm planning to go to Tibet sometimes next year..yes, backpacking...

To those who are planning to travel and backpacking, wish you all the best and have fun!!!

I found it very convenient and easy to walk around Sydney by myself. All I needed was a travel guide which I can easily get for free at the airport and hotel. The nite before, I studied and marked the places that I intended to go and next day I set out on my own. Their subway train is quite easy to use although can be a bit overwhelming with all the directions. I walked around Sydney city and it was quite fun.

The main thing is to prioritize the places that you wanted to go so that you won't feel so lost in the city. I favor vacationing alone cos there is no hassle or argument over what to see and where to go or how long to shop. The only downside is eating alone... :(