Sign in to follow this  
Analeigh_Ho

Which is better? Elliptical Trainer or Treadmill?

Hi People,

Just wondering, which is better, going to the treadmill or elliptical trainer? I always fidn myself being able to burn more calories in a shorter time using elliptical trainer but is it really in term of quality, not as good as runnign on treadmill? If it is really better to run on treadmill, why am I able to burn more using elliptical trainer instead?

Thanks!

Hi People,

Just wondering, which is better, going to the treadmill or elliptical trainer? I always fidn myself being able to burn more calories in a shorter time using elliptical trainer but is it really in term of quality, not as good as runnign on treadmill? If it is really better to run on treadmill, why am I able to burn more using elliptical trainer instead?

Thanks!

How do you know you are able to burn more calories by using elliptical trainer?

Both are cardiovascular exercises, both has its own pro and cons.

Generally, Elliptical trainer is advisable to be used by people with knee or back problems compared to treadmill.

Why?

Because running causes a lot of pressure to the knee and spine.

How much calorie you burn depends on your intensity that you are going.

I knwo the amoutn of calories I burn because the elliptical machine and treadmill provide a calories-burnt bar. So, that's how I know

Ahh.. I see.

Sorry I forgot about the monitor that they have, i've not been doing cardio on machines for quite sometime. That's a very good source of motivation for me.

Those however are rough estimation, and varies accordingly to individual.

amount of calories burned depend a lot on other factors as well.

Thanks for your replies guys,

Bata, I need to slim down my lower part of body as well. Any advice? and my arms Thanks

hi there, you cant spot reduction of fat on certain parts of your body.

Fat allocation depends on your genetics and gender. For example male, tends to store fat on tummy.

Women on hips and triceps area.

so what can you do to make your lower part of your body and arm's fat go away? just do full body workout consistently, you will make them decrease.

also remember to incorporate weight training to get that "toned" look. Toned is muscle. As you lose fat/weight, your skin might become flabby.

Muscles will help to give your toned look.

If you feel your workout is ok, your diet (healthy diet) is covered, you can also use fat burner to speed up the process ;)

Chow

Edited by bata

QUOTE (Analeigh_Ho @ Mar 12 2009, 05:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi People,

Thanks!

i think both treadmill and elliptical trainer have their own pro and cons. treadmill for example is more suited for someone who like running or jogging. however treadmill can be a nightmare for people with joints problems, such as older people or athletes with knee injury. on the other hand, elliptical trainer is the alternative for ppl with joint problems becoz it offers no impact exercises. plus the elliptical trainer will give you a upper and lower body workout, unlike the treadmill which focuses on the lower part of the body.

i think between the two there is not much difference. i wud say that both of them will bring benefit to you exercises. but if you have a knee injury then you might be better off with the elliptical trainer. Edited by murdoc82