Sign in to follow this  
nei22

Can we really be independent without family?

I have moved into Inti-UC in Nilai and started my hostel life there. I like the campus as you can see here, Building of Inti-UC, it's spacious and new. However, I got a home-sick just after a week I stayed in the hostel by my own. I felt so lonely especially at night when I have to sleep alone. I missed my sister so much who always sleep together with me. I miss the food of my mum and I miss the laughter of my dad. I miss the moment we all sitting in the living room and watching news together. Suddenly I'm thinking of going home. But my sister advises me to try to be independent and think on the positive side. yeah, I should not give up so fast. But how many of you here can really be independent without being together with family member? I really doubt that.

I was like that when I first get into university. But after a while (probably 1 or 2 months) when you got some good friends to hang around with you will get used to the campus life.

Yeah, we still looking forward to go home for holiday, but if we can't make it (exams, projects, etc) we still happily staying in the campus with bunch of friends.

Actually during the campus life you can do a lot of funny things with friends from other states, although all of us have different background but it's kind of enjoyable to listen to their stories and taste food from their hometown. :) during semester break can go visit their hometown... those are really good days :) and I still keep in touch with most of the friends

Just make a lot of friends and enjoy your campus life :)

Goodness...

Being alone gives a lot of time to self reflect and answer the question, "who am I in the real world?"

Without your family, you can really discover a lot about yourself. How you handle situations without relying on others.

I truly enjoyed all the ups and downs of living on my own. Even though I did not know that then.

You're lucky that you have this chance. A lot of others can't afford to stay on their own at such a young age.

Enjoy every moment :)

Hey,

I have been living out alone since I was 18. I am 21 now, still living alone, overseas.

I do agree much with dotti. U do understd urself more when u r out and about alone.

U will see things different. Learn how to care for urself, etc.

Things will be fine after awhile, since u've just moved into your new place.

What I think u shud do is Look for a bunch of BFF's!!!!!! I can guarantee you won't be homesick then!!

All the best ;)

thanks all for giving me some light :) i feel better this week, and I think I start adapting to the new environment. have been going for gym and swimming since last week. appreciate there's big swimming pool and fitness centre in my campus so that i can fill up my time with this kind of healthy activity. of coz i still suddenly miss my family so much but i'm lucky to have some nice hostel mates who take care of me.. hope things will get better and better ;)

Some people can, some people can't. I'm 27 and I still can't be away from my parents for too long, lol, this is despite being married. But it's good that you miss them, shows you love your family alot. I know of people who can be away from their family and not even bother to keep in touch with them which is quite sad, really.

I've never been away from my family for a long period before. Not that I can't be away from them but it is I don't need to be away from them. Some ppl say I'm lucky but I said it depends on what you want. I stay in Klang and I choose to study in PJ and work in Shah Alam so that I don't need to move out and save cost :) Some of my frens who stay here moved to KL bcos they want to work in MNC. But I guess for some ppl, it is really no choice :unsure:

But I believe staying away from family for a few years will really let you learn a lot of things and also taking care of yourself. you start to be aware of all the things surrounding you rather than just let your parents took care of everything for you. Although I stay with family, most of the time I'm outside and I eat outside cos my mum don't cook. most of the days I'm out from morning tilll nite so I'm pretty much on my own as well.

i agree with zenwell, staying away from family let us start to be aware of things surrounding us, i realized many things that my family helped me to do previously are not easy... appreciate their care for me so far. and it's lucky that my college still maintain its price in this difficult time though it has invested so much in the institution, so the burden to my parents won't be so heavy.. i'm enjoying my hostel and college life now, going gym, swimming, play badminton & squash frequently :) i feel that i'm getting much healthier. everytime after exercise i'm so relaxed. like this feeling...