Sign in to follow this  
Alzier

Interesting places in sarawak

What can we buy from Kuching? I mean Kuching/Sarawak's specialties....I know there's Sarawak pepper. And where is the best place to get them (cheaper)?

I think the price is more or less the same. You can try main bazaar or the pasar malam(this you might need a friend to bring you there).

Pepper, pepper sweet, bird nest, bird nest sweet, belacan, some snacks from their pasar malam where i don't know what they called, wooden stuff, sarawak rice, etc.

Sibu just have a nice landscape, a lot chinese garden, park and recreation place.. it is a quite special place than anywhere in Malaysia...

Well, I'm from Kuching as well. When you come to Kuching, if you're not staying with someone local try staying at this place called Singgahsana Lodge (singgahsana.com) or Holiday Inn Kuching. Kuching Hilton isn't too bad either, but Merdeka Palace is a little off the beaten track though it is a nice place to stay.

If you're at Singgahsana, look for Richard, Donald or Chris (me). We're always happy to make new friends and would love to introduce you to Kuching. We're not professional guides (well, Richard used to be!) but we love our hometown and have travelled a bit.

If you're staying at the Holiday Inn try looking up Patrick Lau see if he's free to chat and give you ideas. Or you can still look for me.

Kuching is somewhat stronger than KL in the areas of eats, history and nature. Also Kuching is much smaller and less congested than KL, so an hour's drive will take you clear out of town (and out to the beach!)

There's a bit more to Kuching than our locals tend to think of offhand. People tend to forget the things they get used to. Look us up if you run out of ideas.

And if you like wine you really should look me up. :)

Yin is it just selfairy, you & me in Kuching? Or is there anyone else?

Selfairy also from kuching? great~ didn't know bout that :D

hmm...i dun think there's anyone else from kuching that i know in MYB...from sibu,miri got lar..

Cyber where's singgahsana? i dunno about that place...

Hey im from kch as well~ :P Well...if wanna go clubbing, if u wan to see more fashionable ppl, more chinese~ then now most happening is at Travilion...from there u can find MC3, Barzing, and some few more pubs... beside at Travilion, u can go Soho & Grappa and 99 too..but there got more bumi and usually those western ppl go there more lor..coz its at centre of town...

If for food, actually u can find it everywhere tat r not bad tho... like at Carpenter Street (its da name like Fred said "atak street") u can find 1 store selling "cheng", :thumbup1: it's a soup tat mix wif lotsa ingrediant 1, and can ve their kolok mee or rice if u wan... if go there at weekend, unless u reach there very early in da morning, otherwise u will need to stand and wait for quite a while :shakehead: ... Btw, kolok mee got few kinds oso wor, some is hand made, some is straight 1, some is "flat" and some is "curly" 1... hahaz... Can try Kueh Chap, laksa, all so nice... :thumbup1:

For beach then can go Damai Beach or Damai Lagoon (usually tourist go 1)... or if got fren here, can let them to bring u to some other beach tat r far away from kch town here... like Palm Beach and some other private beach tat no name 1... Actually if u dowan to stay there overnite, u can actually go to Holiday Inn there and use their shuttle (RM10 per way if im not wrong :P ) then u can go there for day trip only...

If like nature then can go Matang Family Park, Ranchan (tis located at Serian, jus need abt an hr car ride will reach)...can play water there (da water there very very cold 1) and oso ve water fall there... then can go Wind cave to go inside da cave (there oso can play da cold water)... at wind cave oso ve jungle tracking! For mountain climbing, can go climb Mount Singai (at da top of da mountain ve a Catholic Church), Mount Santubong or Mount Matang... and at Sri Aman if im not wrong (If go Sri Aman need few hrs car trip) there's a Mount Hosanna.. oso a Catholic church there... then at 17th miles if im not wrong, there's a crocodile farm..

For seafoods, if u go Damai then must go Buntau (sori dunno how to spell :P ) there try their seafoods... :thumbup1: very nice... and other seafoods places like at da above da Tapanga 1 (Tapanga oso a bistro/pub at da town area , opposite da Tun Jugah).. if go there u will see tat all da ppl there intro u to go their stalls... :shakehead: hate tat, so juz tell them u look for ppl enuff...then only u find where u wan to sit... o else they keep bla bla and even pull da chair for u~ :doh: Actually can find many kopitiam tat sell seafoods tat r nice oso...

For shopping places, there r few tat like da babes above mention.. not much places, and da choices r limited too~ expensive too... :shakehead: If for yam cha, can try Water Front (its da Riverbank tat yin mention b4 which ve nice view at nite).. go for da 1st stall there name My Kampong..their teh tarik better than da other stall there 1... oh yea My Kampong oso ve another stall behind da Star Cineplex there (same building wif da cineplex)... weekend there's a band singing there (sometimes weekday oso got)..u can even request them to sing da songs tat u wan... Beside My Kampong, other nice yam cha places r Oregano at Travilion, Bing, Tao, and many more...it's soo many nice cafe here~

For gifts, beside pepper then ppl usually buy bird nest here :X oh yea, some of my frens and relative even buy da butter buns, sio pao and yam pao :thumbup1: (sio pao and yam pao da best is selling at da india street there) back too... ^_^

Edited by Joan Kevin

Soho is for old people and 99 has lost all their customers after rearranging the interior design. I'm highly against going there unless you just wanna sit around and drink alone. The most happening scene now, would be MC3.

If you want laksa, try out the one at Golden Arch, 3rd Mile. & for western food, I'd totally recommend Magento (Though it's quite expensive lar), or Chef at Home (Restaurant in a house, no joke! But the food is delicious~!)

And if you wanna try shisha, you can go to Lil Lebanon, at the "Old Court House" there.

Edited by Selfairy

Selfairy also from kuching? great~ didn't know bout that :D

hmm...i dun think there's anyone else from kuching that i know in MYB...from sibu,miri got lar..

Cyber where's singgahsana? i dunno about that place...

Singgahsana Lodge is a new place next door to the Star Cineplex / Medan Pelita, just celebrated the first anniversary a few weeks back. There was a free-for-all banquet for everyone. It was yummy! :P It was supposed to be a backpackers bed & breakfast place, but the owner got carried away. lol It's fun to book a dormitory bed and get to know all the mat sallehs who stay there. There's some wildlife volunteers from UK staying there all year round. Interesting people. Went up with them yesterday to the wildlife centers to see what they were doing.

Hey im from kch as well~ :P Well...if wanna go clubbing, if u wan to see more fashionable ppl, more chinese~ then now most happening is at Travilion...from there u can find MC3, Barzing, and some few more pubs... beside at Travilion, u can go Soho & Grappa and 99 too..but there got more bumi and usually those western ppl go there more lor..coz its at centre of town...

Hey great - can we make it a group thing? I've got friends who would love to go clubbing, but we're not familar with the clubs. lol

If for food, actually u can find it everywhere tat r not bad tho... like at Carpenter Street (its da name like Fred said "atak street") u can find 1 store selling "cheng", :thumbup1: it's a soup tat mix wif lotsa ingrediant 1, and can ve their kolok mee or rice if u wan... if go there at weekend, unless u reach there very early in da morning, otherwise u will need to stand and wait for quite a while :shakehead: ... Btw, kolok mee got few kinds oso wor, some is hand made, some is straight 1, some is "flat" and some is "curly" 1... hahaz... Can try Kueh Chap, laksa, all so nice... :thumbup1:

Tiang Miang Nguuuuu! Know where to go? I've been hunting for the sibu chap that moved down to Kuching. He's the best!

For beach then can go Damai Beach or Damai Lagoon (usually tourist go 1)... or if got fren here, can let them to bring u to some other beach tat r far away from kch town here... like Palm Beach and some other private beach tat no name 1... Actually if u dowan to stay there overnite, u can actually go to Holiday Inn there and use their shuttle (RM10 per way if im not wrong :P ) then u can go there for day trip only...

RM10 for Malaysians only! Yeah it sucks - I'm embarrassed when I get charged less than my friends!

If like nature then can go Matang Family Park, Ranchan (tis located at Serian, jus need abt an hr car ride will reach)...can play water there (da water there very very cold 1) and oso ve water fall there... then can go Wind cave to go inside da cave (there oso can play da cold water)... at wind cave oso ve jungle tracking! For mountain climbing, can go climb Mount Singai (at da top of da mountain ve a Catholic Church), Mount Santubong or Mount Matang... and at Sri Aman if im not wrong (If go Sri Aman need few hrs car trip) there's a Mount Hosanna.. oso a Catholic church there... then at 17th miles if im not wrong, there's a crocodile farm..

I climb Santubong myself. Got nice review of Mt Singai, but heard it was a really small trail up. Matang isn't much fun, I don't want to climb a road to the top and have to stop at the signal station...! You're catholic? Know Chris Chen? Father Simon? They're always going out. Been out with them a few times.

For seafoods, if u go Damai then must go Buntau (sori dunno how to spell :P ) there try their seafoods... :thumbup1: very nice... and other seafoods places like at da above da Tapanga 1 (Tapanga oso a bistro/pub at da town area , opposite da Tun Jugah).. if go there u will see tat all da ppl there intro u to go their stalls... :shakehead: hate tat, so juz tell them u look for ppl enuff...then only u find where u wan to sit... o else they keep bla bla and even pull da chair for u~ :doh: Actually can find many kopitiam tat sell seafoods tat r nice oso...

Top spot! Top Spot! Seriously though, the best seafood (and most pricey) is at Rock Road Seafood. Top Spot is convenient and nice, The Dolphin at Buntal is good too, and cheap, but haven't been back there for a while. I don't have any of that problem at Tapanga. Anyone here try Jambu? Belongs to some old friends of mine. Was there last night but didn't feel like eating or drinking cos I just came out of Top Spot... yummy!

For shopping places, there r few tat like da babes above mention.. not much places, and da choices r limited too~ expensive too... :shakehead: If for yam cha, can try Water Front (its da Riverbank tat yin mention b4 which ve nice view at nite).. go for da 1st stall there name My Kampong..their teh tarik better than da other stall there 1... oh yea My Kampong oso ve another stall behind da Star Cineplex there (same building wif da cineplex)... weekend there's a band singing there (sometimes weekday oso got)..u can even request them to sing da songs tat u wan... Beside My Kampong, other nice yam cha places r Oregano at Travilion, Bing, Tao, and many more...it's soo many nice cafe here~

Not much for stuff you can get elsewhere, myself. Bing, Tao, etc are too much of imported culture that I don't go unless entertaining. Good for locals though. :)

For gifts, beside pepper then ppl usually buy bird nest here :X oh yea, some of my frens and relative even buy da butter buns, sio pao and yam pao :thumbup1: (sio pao and yam pao da best is selling at da india street there) back too... ^_^

Yeh butter buns from Padungan are absolutely heavenly! Some people never seen yam pies before, but I think the kong pia is a better option. ;) Love them!

Soho is for old people and 99 has lost all their customers after rearranging the interior design. I'm highly against going there unless you just wanna sit around and drink alone. The most happening scene now, would be MC3.

Do you go clubbing too? :blink: Why didn't you say so earlier??? Would have brought you out long ago! That's it - when my friend comes back you're definitely coming out with us. Or one of these few nights with the other guys and gals, if you're interested!

If you want laksa, try out the one at Golden Arch, 3rd Mile. & for western food, I'd totally recommend Magento (Though it's quite expensive lar), or Chef at Home (Restaurant in a house, no joke! But the food is delicious~!)

You tried the one at Ban Hock Road? Personally I think it's better. =] But of course it's always crowded. I don't like crowded places much.

Because they are usually inferior in quality to the originals in Sarawak. :) It has to do with the quality of the ingredients and how it's prepared.

Hehe i also climbed the santubong mount b4..it was fun! and quite long journey~

and oh liv also from kuching :D

:clapclap::clapclap: wow.... so many things to eat!!!!! many unfamilier places tooo :P

i'm goin to sarawak (kuching) on the 26th oct, hope i can enjoy all the food~ seems yummy!!!

Hope you enjoy KUCHING!!! =D

the good thing about kch. all the good food are not far from each other.

ahha.

if u really want to have a food-ful day. try walking down the shoplots starting from the kitty statue at the start of jalan padungan.

walk down. and you will reach at the end with your tummy almost burst.

hahaha... Ya try everything!

Piglet: Where u staying? Want anyone to bring you around? Don't forget to go Semonggok Wildlife around 3pm to watch the orangutan feeding...!