Sign in to follow this  
trinity

Help! Where to study Fashion Design???

I've always wanted to do Fashion Design as well but I have to put my dreams on hold due to the fact I'm graduating with a another Degree soon and I still have to continue another vocation course or my degree will go to waste.

If I didn't enroll for for my current degree last time, I would have opt to go to Cenfad. The school is near KLCC. I've visited the place several times. The school is small and you get better attention from the teachers. Most teachers there teach on part time basis so they have the latest updates both practical and theory basis. The 3 uni's overseas I would have requested for if I were to do twinning would be

1)Parsons

2)Fashion Institute of Technology

3)central st.martin

I did my research before and found the uni's above most appealing.Whatever it is, I hope you are able to find a Uni that gives you maximum exposure on practical works.Don't go for the Uni's which are too commercial and look out for the topics they offer through out the course. Most of all,go for the Uni you feel most comfortable with. Surroundings does affect your art work. :) Hope this helps you decide better.

Edited by FuFuFly

my friend is doin good in FACT.

many events n fashion shows also ... in clubs as well (fashion show in clubs).

n she even won sponsership from scholl for best design.. (that was for shoe design)

but yeah raffles seem like a pretty good choice if u wanna stand out since they do alot of kl fashion week n stuff..

IFTC offers 1-3 mths course.

As for FACT, they have a one year course (certificate) which I was really interested in... however it costs RM17K (as of this mth lol), just the tuition fees. I just recently got interested in fashion design, currently in another course... i'm thinking whether if it's worth it or not

FuFuFly, yea, the places you listed are the reowned ones... a lot of good designers came out from there!

but of course only if you have the money ^.^;

IFTC offers 1-3 mths course.

As for FACT, they have a one year course (certificate) which I was really interested in... however it costs RM17K (as of this mth lol), just the tuition fees. I just recently got interested in fashion design, currently in another course... i'm thinking whether if it's worth it or not

IFTC offers 1-3 mths course, but their site dun say much like the fees, and time schd. cz i am working full time... sigh

FACT is set up by gillian hung right? pretty new... and $$

I actually emailed both schools two weeks ago... so far only FACT replied. And yea RM17K is too much....

Gillian Hung spoke in my uni before... Man, was she inspiring!!

My sister's studying Fashion Design in LUCT. Previously a TOA (The One Academy) student :D. She changed course because fashion is still her biggest interest. Before joining LUCT, she had a lot of biases towards this school but now that she is there, she feels happy and fulfilled.

I've looked at some of her sketches. They look pretty good! No doubt, her grueling experience at TOA helped in honing her drawing skills.

She has learnt to sew, to design batik and now she has completed a skirt.

The lecturers seem qualified... from how she puts it. But, it's wise to visit all the fashion schools and decide which one is best for you. My sister didn't have the chance to visit LaSalle or FACT. She straightaway chose LUCT because she already has a friend there who is doing very well in fashion design.

Best of luck in your search. If you really like fashion, go for it.

Edited by crystaldi

Gillian Hung spoke in my uni before... Man, was she inspiring!!

wow... wish i can hear too

My sister's studying Fashion Design in LUCT. Previously a TOA (The One Academy) student :D. She changed course because fashion is still her biggest interest. Before joining LUCT, she had a lot of biases towards this school but now that she is there, she feels happy and fulfilled.

I've looked at some of her sketches. They look pretty good! No doubt, her grueling experience at TOA helped in honing her drawing skills.

She has learnt to sew, to design batik and now she has completed a skirt.

The lecturers seem qualified... from how she puts it. But, it's wise to visit all the fashion schools and decide which one is best for you. My sister didn't have the chance to visit LaSalle or FACT. She straightaway chose LUCT because she already has a friend there who is doing very well in fashion design.

didnt know LUCT was good for fashion design... gosh i can't draw la..............

im a graduate from raffles la salle.. what i can commend abt la salle is.. they have the facilities u need.. and although the fees is quite expensive, its kinda worth it cuz they cover most of subject u need to learn from drafting, sewing, sketching, fashion management and lots more.. can't remember all the subjects.. :D

but i heard that most of the experienced lecturers left ady.. replaced by new lecturers..

melinda looi and jonathan cheng also graduate from la salle.. being taught by jonathan for one sem.. and he is so gorgeous.. :P

rachelsly: I'm actually interested to learn patternmaking (= drafting?)... I kinda thinking of learning it from fashion students, since I'm already in another college and I can't afford to go to a proper school. Just curious, would you teach someone else abt what you learnt? (with fees la)

I'm actually interested to learn patternmaking (= drafting?)... I kinda thinking of learning it from fashion students, since I'm already in another college and I can't afford to go to a proper school. Just curious, would you teach someone else abt what you learnt? (with fees la)

which college are u attending now..? izzit a fashion school..? i dun mind teaching... cuz sharing a knowledge with someone else is a good thing.. but the problem is im too far to teach u.. im staying in perak while u were in kl.. that would be a problem.. if u r really interested, maybe i can ask my frens..