Sign in to follow this  
Alzier

Interesting places in sarawak

Anyone here from sarawak that can give me some idea what's nice place to go visit in sarawak area. Kuching to be more specific. thank you.

hmm in kuching...

there's a few shopping complexes.. Tun Jugah, Sarawak Plaza, Riverside(inside got parkson,we always call that parkson cuz that's the only place with parkson grand in it), Seberkas.....

at night u must go to riverside ( i dun mean the shopping complex), i meant the riverbank.. u can enjoy the riverbank view..at night very very pretty :thumbup1:

or u go to the riverside at morning..u can rise sampan to the opposite to visit fort margareta, it's only 30cents per person.. remember dun ask the person how much cuz he will know u're not from kuching so they will mark up the price.... just give him 30 cents...

then there's muzium sarawak lor....

hmm can go to india street to walk n see.. a lot of ppl there n alot of cheap stuff if u really dig inside...but beware of theifs lor..cuz it's very crowded there especially weekends...

and erm.. for beaches..u can go to either damai or santubong...damai is better lor :D

hope these help~

Alzier, how long is your trip to S'wak?

Drop by Kuching asked Yin to show you around. :lol1:

If you have long enough vacation time, you might wanna to drop by Miri, Labuan, Bintulu and Sibu.

Basically, when you come to S'wak, Don't expect the shopping or clubbing, as these 2 entertainments are not as colorful or excited as West M'sia; especially KL. You come here to enjoy natural and visit some historical area.

This is summary i can provided to you as a S'wakian!

Kuching - Beaches like Damai, Santubong. I prefer Damai!

Museum, national park! Lot of them.... Yin can show you around! Need at least 4 days or 4 nights!

Sibu - Nothing over here. Only if you've friends, too bad i am not over there. Or else i will tour you around. 2 nights are more than enough over there. Try some famous food over there. Kom pian, Kampua, Different taste laksa from West M'sia.

Bintulu - Errrrrr....not too exciting! Not much! Drop by take a picture you can skip that!

Miri - A second large city in S'wak. Also natural scene.Not much too! Night time, usually ppl gather at uptown.

Labuan - Duty free port! Well not too much different from Langkawi!

Conclusion, you come s'wak for relax and enjoy some food!

Hope this give you a bit of picture how s'wak looks like!

Thank you.

Kuching has lots of place to eat , and enjoy the foods. go to kuching try some laksa sarawak and mee belacan. Its something you cant get in west msia. Taste nice.. yummy.. :) If you love fish, can go to market and get ikan terubuk, its very nice but bit costly. You will love the eating places in kuching alots.. I would prefer to eat in stalls as most of it are still fresh and it still depends where you go. Kuching is a busy place too. If you thinking to go clubbing main places are not actually in town, its abit outside town. I think yin would be best to assist you. I dont really remember names, but roughly can remember the roads and where to spend most of my time.

Oh sh**t, it that true?

Ppl there always tell me is in S'wak.

I went there, is near to s'wak territory!

My bad. Failed in Geography!

:( too bad i can't tell

cuz i never go clubbing b4~

but i heard many ppl said that MC3 at travellion is :thumbup1:

can see many ppl dance suffle there~ many professional dancers

Basically if u want clubbing/night entertainment, the places to look for would be around padungan(the stretch between holiday inn kuching to the centre part, the rest not much), travillion (a new commercial area just outside the old padungan shops, next to HSBC), golden triangle area (behind parkson, hilton), hilton itself has a nice bar/lounge/club, tribes at holiday inn, victoria arms at merdeka palace hotel(near padang, next to museum). there's another 1 called 99 at harbourview hotel behind the tua pek kong temple, a stones throw from kuching waterfront. the waterfront itself also has some mamak stalls, though prices are quite steep.

For food, depends on what u want, there's 1 famous sarawak laksa in padungan near to airasia office, it's an old independent shop unit, open usually in morning to noon only. sarawak kolo mee can be found almost anywhere, but nice ones u have to search. the temple at carpenter street(back roll opposite kuching waterfront) has some nice food, i like the fishball noodles there. u can also try some of the food courts, but not all nice. eating establishments like ming tien food court abound but operate out of shoplots. major chains are xiang xiang, expert etc. you can find them at places like 3rd and 4th mile area, and at batu kawah new township, bdc area, and kings centre. (Central park commercial centre at 3rd mile has some food and minor night life). these are situated at the outskirts of the city. about 10km from waterfront.

Satok area has some food establisments as well as minor shopping. That area is famous for it's Sunday market which starts on saturday evening till sunday noon. Interesting to visit, consists of a pasar tani+pasar malam. bigger than any i've seen in kl so far. but haven't been there in a while, so dunno if its still as lively. But worth checking out, if u like to frequent pasar malams.

Seafood can be found at permata food centre in kuching city itself, (behind parkson, on top of the car park building). or if u got transport, can go to santubong area, set up similar to kuala selangor. the ones i've been to are dolphin and another one toward the end of the road (turn in to santubong village road, most are situated there).

For beaches, you can try damai area, sarawak cultural village is also there. (quite developed area, due to resorts)

If you have time and transport, can go to lundu area or semantan. (very quiet beaches there)

If you like nature/wildlife, can always check out the national parks and reserves/parks. Nearest 1's would be Matang, about 35 kms from kuching. There's a family park there, there's streams and stuff. you can trek a paved road up matang mountain if u like, just next to the family park. Matang wildlife centre is situated towards the end of the road, another 10-15km from the family park. For something more exotic, try Bako national park, you have to take a boat ride as it's the only access. lots of trekking/hiking here. Lundu has the Gunung Gading national park, u might be able to see rafflesia if u r lucky. You can also go hike Gunung Santubong, and get a view of the sea coast. Borneo Highlands resort is situated at the border of sarawak and kalimantan, indonesia. it's a few hours drive form kuching proper. I haven't been there but hear that it's similar to to a mini cameron, just privatised. Outside of Kuching, u can also go to Serian town, also about 40-50kms away, there's a park with waterfalls there. THe indonesian border is about an hours drive from serian. Batang Air is some distance from kuching, (not sure how much, 100+?). it's a dam area, like kenyir. Hilton has a resort there. Haven't been there since i was a young kid, so can't comment on current situation. There's a crocodile farm in kuching as well, about 20kms+ from city centre, jong's crocodile farm. located along jalan penrissen, 17th mile, i think.

If you are looking for some indigenous life, can always go to the interior for longhouse visits, available through tour agents in kuching. Some are located along the Skrang and Lemanak river.

Edited by MikeJ

Hmm..

let me see

for food...

there's Laksa, Kolo Mee, Kampua --> these couldn't be found in West Malaysia...

but of cuz kolo mee n kampua is no halal

Laksa... the best place here is ermm... Hui Sing Garden( next to a small police station)..but have to go at morning lor..usually afternoon finish edy..and erm...actually laksa there's a lot of place which is very nice..some places have big prawns~ yummy~

Kolo mee ... u can see them in almost every kopitiam!~

Kampua..i suggest u go to sibu to test the original ones~ haha cuz it's originated from sibu..i've never tried the kampua from sibu though..

and if u wanna eat western food..u can go to Richmond's Place o Westwood --> very cheap lor~ the cheapest is chicken chop which is RM7 only and it really taste very nice!

if u wanna splurge go to Jambu( opened by an ang mo)... very expensive very really very tasty!.. i went there once on valentine's day... RM170 for 2 ppl...

or i suggest u go to The Junk or Bla Bla Bla which is very near Alakat... they serve western food...hmm prices ranging from RM20-RM50 per dish... i went to The Junk a few times on special occasion..the inside is really :thumbup1: very romantic n nice... hmm spent less than RM100 for 2 ppl... :D

yes rite....if u love natural. why dont try out national park, ...

dont forget to visit cultural village if you wanna know more about swak culture ^_*

kch is full of clubs these day..shud try it out as u normally dont reali get that cheap liquor and free entrance in KL! ehhee..njoy!

Oh yeah.. the seafood on top parking .. is the best.. yummy...,

Mike, from kuching a? Wahh.. you really know lotsaa.. place. yeah.. best laksa is in padungan.. the rest just average. I went to travilion for chit chat and relax with frenss. It has one row of shophouses.. would be soo nice if you love trying western menu. :) nice nice...

Yin, kolok me.. got halal ones la.. haiyoo

laksa taste a bit spicy lor~ haha and if u add in some lime a bit sour~ very yummY! :P i love to add in lime...

oh~ ya kolo mee got halal one i 4got

miszchichi since u never tried kolo mee b4 must try it when u come to kuching :D

erm okay my plan to go kuching is not yet 100% confirm it depends on another friend that is stopping over in malaysia while on his way back to australia. he will have about a week here in malaysia. so intend to bring him go to east malaysia for maybe 3 days 2 night kind of thing. hmmm Most likely clubbing may not go. getting bored of it over here in west malaysia. but pubbing at night for a drink maybe can la. Hmmmm Yin what do you do anyway?? studying or working when we reach there maybe you can be our tour guild hehehehe :P We can hire a car not a problem. How's driving in sarawak btw??? i heard they drive pretty slowly... nanti driving cultural shock for me there kekez :P

most likely will be in november if i am not wrong. or early december. Not confirm of his date to malaysia yet.

Alzier

hahaha yup the ppl here drive more slowly compared to KL cuz here not many highways mar..the road small small n bengkang bengkok how to expect ppl to drive fast fast? :P

i drive quite slowly one lor~ around 60km/h until 80km/h...never more than 90km/h..that's pretty slow huh?

i'm still studying ler...

haiz too bad lar alzier..november until december i have my stpm exam~

need to drive for a distance to reach crocodile farm.. the best thing to do in swak is eating out!

as u never get this cheap in west msia.ehhehe..esp seafood! but make sure u know which restaurant so that you wont be "slaughther". =)

laksa swak doesnt taste asam type of sour...but they give u alternate lime for you to add in or mix wif the sambal!

btw..jus bought ticket for going back kch on december! hahaha a break from college life...and time for eating spree =)

agree with rene!

the seafood here is yummy~ n cheap too

hmm actually there are a lot of places to enjoy cheap seafood

such as above the Taman Kereta, Palm Restaurant ( near to damai beach), Batu Lintang, Family Cafe at Hui Sing....& lots more

and if got chance try to go to some hawker stall if u dun mind lar...some ppl think that hawker stall r dirty...but for me i love going to hui sing's hawker stall...must try out ice kacang, ABC, Apachi, Metahon, Marlboro and so on...lots of strange names for the drinks~

and at hawker stall u can enjoy food ranging from RM1.50 - RM3.00... :shocking: this is the cheapest u can get in kuching! imagine mee goreng only RM1.50 ler... :D

welllll... will tell you guys and gals and i'll ask for direction if my trip does come to reality :P still depending on that friend from auzzie :P.

tentatively it should be beginning of november now. If all goes as plan may go over either on 3rd or 4th of november. Thanks for all the info.

so i guess i should lose a few pound first before going over... else i come back and gain more weight with all the eating out kekez :P

I just came back from Kuching !!! So fortunate that got friend to drive around.

Food wise, i think kolo mee and sarawak laksa is a must try. There is this vege called meden(something like that), is a fern type of vege that you must try. We knew someone who run blablabla, and the junk, apparently you should give it a try as well.

Kuching has special coffee culture, there are plenty of home brand coffee houses like starbucks, but it can be better, i only tried Bing.

If you got friend to bring around, try to take a look at "friendship park", my friend lives near by, that is a very nice place, and the houses thare are good.

There is this "atak street" (cant remember the name) near the main bazaar, got a temple that sell very good fish ball and pork satay, must try. around that area, got a shop called kim joo(something like that), sell very good kolok mee as well. We went topshop for see food also, is near the hotel area.

Last but not least, is the cultural village and damai beach.

We didn't visit a lot of tourist spots, but every else, like residential area, local shop area, pasar malam, etc and was so suprise that kuching put in so much effort in landscaping. Do take a look at their library if got chance, amazing.... may be i can post multiply link here once i got chance to upload them :-)