Sign in to follow this  
sharyl

Bachelor of Pharmacy

I'll be finishing my A-level soon and it's time for me to choose my degree route. I wish to do pharmacy yet I'm not sure which university to choose. Monash University Malaysia campus will start its Pharmacy programme on Feb 2009. Since graduates are given the same certificate like those doing Pharmacy in Monash Australia, I'm thinking this might carry some weight when I'm looking for job in the future. However, Monash Malaysia campus has just introduced this pharmacy programme lately, will the quality of teaching be on par with that of Monash Australia? Do Monash Malaysia campus provides great facilities and resources ?

Whereas for IMU, is its BPharm a good programme ? Anyone doing BPharm in IMU out there ? Do you have anything to say about IMU ? I wish to gain more opinions before coming to a final decision. Thanks in advance !!!

as for the undergraduate esp. in pharmacy..i dun think its matter very much which uni u got ur degree..as for the pharmacy the most important think is when u sit for ur forensic exam and got the licience..without it, its pretty much useless unless u r going for the master or phd..

as for the undergraduate esp. in pharmacy..i dun think its matter very much which uni u got ur degree..as for the pharmacy the most important think is when u sit for ur forensic exam and got the licience..without it, its pretty much useless unless u r going for the master or phd..

i m nw doing my 1st year pharmacy in UCSI.....n i STRONGLY AGREE with stryker tht i doesnt matter where u get ur degree in pharmacy coz no matter where u wanna choose things tht undergraduate pharmacy students study will b omos da same throughout da whole world!!(this is according to my dean of pharmacy sch in UCSI)but da differences is dat if u plan to go to countries tht practice dispensing seperation such as UK,u will get much more chances 2 apply ur noeledge in dispensing n prescribing....but i wanna say here is dat u can easily learn this at da moment where u step into hosp to do ur government service.....no probs

both uni dat u mentioned r good places to obtain ur degree :)

Hey there I graduated from IMU but not from Bpharm I'm from Mpharm but as far as i noe IMU's Bpharm program is quite allright as for Monash i'm not that sure about their pharmacy program here but the one in their australia campus is very well recognized. Actually i agree with what others say it doesnt really matter which uni u decide to go what matters most is being able to graduate, pass ur forensic exam and of course get ur license to practise and as far as i'm aware of all these programmes are accerdited by LAN and also recognized by JPA and the pharmacy board so u would have no trouble practising here :) Maybe the only difference between the IMU programme and the Monash one is that if u decide to go for the Monash one it might be easier for u to apply for registration in Australia later on if u decide to practise there Well i hope what i;ve just typed may give u some info that u need to decide Good Luck!

Thank you for all the advices. :) I'll try comparing other aspects of the two Universities like their fees, facilities and so on before making a decision.

By the way, I understand that we need to do one year of houseman after graduating and another three years of compulsory government service. Can I omit the three years government service if I'll like to practice in Australia ? What if I decide to do my postgraduate right after obtaining a degree ?

Hey there I graduated from IMU but not from Bpharm I'm from Mpharm but as far as i noe IMU's Bpharm program is quite allright as for Monash i'm not that sure about their pharmacy program here but the one in their australia campus is very well recognized. Actually i agree with what others say it doesnt really matter which uni u decide to go what matters most is being able to graduate, pass ur forensic exam and of course get ur license to practise and as far as i'm aware of all these programmes are accerdited by LAN and also recognized by JPA and the pharmacy board so u would have no trouble practising here :) Maybe the only difference between the IMU programme and the Monash one is that if u decide to go for the Monash one it might be easier for u to apply for registration in Australia later on if u decide to practise there Well i hope what i;ve just typed may give u some info that u need to decide Good Luck!

Hey, where are you working now ? Where did you complete your houseman ??

I'm currently working in Hospital Tuanku Jaafar, Seremban and i also completed my houseman at the same place Emm as for wanting to work in Malaysia i dun think it is possible to skip the government service unless u have a PHD in pharmacy or if i'm not wrong a qualified pharmacist from UK, Australia and some other places i think but this only entitles u to skip the 3 years compulsary service i.e u still have to serve as a hosueman for a year hope this helps :)

my votes go for IMU, perfectly nice IMU degree is recognize and it is good. btw miss gingerbaby, UCSI the BOPharmacy still on probational Lan accredition. if the government don't give accredition then then? but in terms of price comparison,

here is IMU history, starts from 11+ k , then 127k, then 137k and now is 145 k increasing every year. IMU i think is cheaper than monash but more expensive than UCSI as it cost around 104 k in UCSI . UCSI just gain university status , so i think it would be a volatile status as UCSI is producing own degree.. furthermore according to other students of UCSI , UCSI is good at applied science and music(60% true).

but at the end as said by gingerbaby, it does not really matters quite true as indegree level all depends on own. but in terms of pricing i would go for IMU.. so hurry up IMU only got 1 intake<<---i hated the most july if lapse then need to wait another year.well , i am not doing any course in IMU my sister does, biomedic.

and the loans, u can apply up to 80k plus minus for courses on a science- doctorate level. all the best. another thing IMU degrees is not recognise in UK. dunno why? hmm other UCSI and Monash also same? <<--answers ?haha

Hmm... I think I'll go for IMU since Monash's intake is in February. I'll be finishing my A-level in June 09 and if my registration to Monash is being rejected, that means I'll have to wait for IMU's July 2010 intake. One year will be wasted then...

I've always wanted to do my degree overseas but can't, due to financial problem. Sob... And all the twinning programmes with Austalia universities have been closed down. Haiz....

Anyway, thanks for all your advices :wink3:

p/s : Feiyinz, is your sister renting room nearby IMU ? How much is the rental ?

I did the same as u too! Glasgow was a blast! Saw your blog. Having fun huh?

no my sister travels because she live kajang .. bout 30-35 minutes train reach di.

bout renting rooms, got few friends stay though near bukit jalil aprtment there, just oopsite IMU cost bout Rm500 everything. but a very big room shared with 2 ppl.

i bet u can get cheaper room ranging from 200-300. or can stay further like sri prtaling or serdang maybe even cheaper. are u driving with car? u can stay further then.

finally because IMU has its own recognize standard, an entry to pharmacies is not 100% guaranteed as there are requirements for it minimum B's for all A-level's Cambridge or edexcel.

one important ting, to enter on july intake, means that u have not obtain ur A-levels result u will be using trail exams results if ur a levels is bad or not meeting the requirement, the IMU will still kick u out. my sister's friend enter for pharmacies pre-preliminary but turn out can't reach requirement and force to drop to bio medic. u will burn a certain part of money for downgrading course. u will need to have certain level of confidence in ur Alevels. However if UCSI, i understand that principals pass for 3 subjects will do good di to secure a conviction in pharmacies..HOWEVER i stressed entry to IMU, to enroll in degree programmes before Alevels results release is very common in IMU evryone does it. so dun worry so much...

All the best, future pharmacy wait till u enroll first. let u know some breaking news got a senior in IMU pharmacies final semester scored almost CGPA 4.0 and crowned as miss 4.0 in IMU. Name is... haha but for her results starts with a 6k and above pay hahaha

my guess is don't think too much, study what u really wanted to study.

Edited by feiyinz

Yeah i did enjoy myself there but sad lah still have to come back here to work. Sharyl why dont u consider the IMU Mpharm twinning programme? I did that its allright 2 and a half years in IMU and 1 year in Strathclyde, Glasgow. About the financial stuff u can borrow up to about RM60'000 with PTPTN, i borrowed it as well . The total tuition fees for my time was about RM160,000 not including expenses la :) Good Luck with ur A'levels and i sure hope u do enjoy studying Pharmacy :)

my votes go for IMU, perfectly nice IMU degree is recognize and it is good. btw miss gingerbaby, UCSI the BOPharmacy still on probational Lan accredition. if the government don't give accredition then then? but in terms of price comparison,

here is IMU history, starts from 11+ k , then 127k, then 137k and now is 145 k increasing every year. IMU i think is cheaper than monash but more expensive than UCSI as it cost around 104 k in UCSI . UCSI just gain university status , so i think it would be a volatile status as UCSI is producing own degree.. furthermore according to other students of UCSI , UCSI is good at applied science and music(60% true).

but at the end as said by gingerbaby, it does not really matters quite true as indegree level all depends on own. but in terms of pricing i would go for IMU.. so hurry up IMU only got 1 intake<<---i hated the most july if lapse then need to wait another year.well , i am not doing any course in IMU my sister does, biomedic.

and the loans, u can apply up to 80k plus minus for courses on a science- doctorate level. all the best. another thing IMU degrees is not recognise in UK. dunno why? hmm other UCSI and Monash also same? <<--answers ?haha

haha PLS DO NT WORRY BOUT DA STATUS OF BPHARM PROGRAM IN UCSI.coz my father has a fren thts working as a LAN officer n according to him,sooner or later they will recognize tis pharmacy degree in sedaya coz last time da pharm program in sedaya is under usm,but frm 2006,they r offering their own bpharm program....n nw da 2006 batch(meaning the 1st batch) is doing their 3rd year,if still dun wanna recognize the degree den where will these ppl go wif their pharm degree after they graduate?surely da government will nt call all da pharmacy students graduated in UCSI to throw their degree into da dustbin afta working so hard to pass da uni exams :P n futhermore pharmacist is alwaiz in demanding....

anotha extra information:do u noe bout CUCMS it is a new medical college in cyberjaya ,both med n pharm degree in tht place r still nt recognize by government coz they hvnt produce their 1st batch of graduants.... but i do say tht pharmacy students there r at same standard wif pharmacy students in otha uni....cant c differences

in order to get a degree recognised by pharmaceutical society in UK,meaning if u wanna get recognition in UK,u nid to do at least 2 years of studies in UK meaning ur degree muz b a 4 years totally in UK or 2+2 twinning program lite da wan offer in segi or nottingham msia campus...if nt u cant work in uk.

sharyl i wanna advice u to go to da school of pharmacy in both uni u mentioned n look at da daily life of a pharmacy students n oso,if possible,find a pharmacist(edi graduated frm uni) n listen to him/her life as a real pharmacists.aso although da degree in evrywhere is the same,wat may vary among different uni is da FACILITiES,check out which is betta

oooo....n anotha tink:dun tink tht da faster u enter uni for any course,u r better than da others.....coz wat u r doin nw is deciding 4 ur future career.of coz u can quit a course half way if u dun lite it/cant reach requirements but this burns looooooooooots of money n time.For a lvl results,act i tink if u work hard 4 ur alvl den it shud b ok to reach the entry requirements for both uni u mentioned :) .for ur knowledge dun worry a lot coz i haf frenz doin pharm in imu where they oso enter with conditional offer....most of them reach the requirements.... oni 1 or 2 din reach :clapclap: n drop da course in their clas

all da best n gd luck in ur a lvl..... :praisegod:

off bound ler bro. ppl asking monash Ucsi and IMU. CCMS is re negated from the list ler.. just like Liverpool lolz

UCSI easy entry pass will do fine.

I myself will prefer twinning programme actually. At least I can spend 1 or 2 years overseas :D but daddy says he can't afford :( Anyway,I haven't given up yet. Still trying my very best looking for loans, scholarship.. hoping there'll be some ways to reduce the total expenses into my dad's budget. When it comes to the worse that means I'll have to do all the four years in local.

C@rris@,approximately how much you spent on living expenses during the one year in Glasgow ? The fees collected by IMU always follow 1 = 6.5 ? Or it fluctuates according to the world's currency ? Do you mind sharing your life in IMU with us ? What do you think about their facilities, lecturers, etc... Wish to know more :praisegod: thank you in advance !!!

Feiyinz,I'm not driving. So the nearer the better :) Wow..500 for twin sharing room ??!!! Even now at subang I'm paying 450 only for single room (though consider expensive also) but my current room has air-cond. Hehe.. I heard about the 3 condo near IMU. Err...called vista something right ? Is it all owned by IMU ? Is there any private owned units in the condo ? By the way, is air-cond available in the RM500 room you mentioned ? Weather's getting hotter and hotter nowadays :)

Thanks for all your wishes.. Thanks gingerbreadwoman too !! College starting this thursday :clapclap: have lots of fun in taylors although A-level is kinda hard... My AS result will be out just before CNY. Sob... really "mou ngan tai" :shakehead:

Rm 500 is top class ones can view bkt jalil bunglow ones. air corn is a confirm. but whether panasonic purifier or not i dunno lor.. the associated hostel in front of IMU i have not much information but one thing for sure it should be cheaper.

all the best for a levels result.. kacang putih one A levels. u sure can get all A's. all the best

Thanks feiyinz for the info :)

Really ? it seems to be easy when attempting past years papers but hard when it comes to actual. Hmm...just wish it will turn out to be good.

haha ya sure do the pressure level is different and when exam time normally think about the money u have invested on the papers u sitting..

all the best !!!!! pharmacies are steady career, more sickness ,disease are coming up..by future pharmacies can definitely have 5 series and semi-bunglow the Hartamas ones sumore confirm haha...

Edited by feiyinz

A good new here for those who wishes to study pharmacy.

IMU is going to offer a twinning programme with University of Otago, NZ and University of Queensland, Aus starting this July 2009 intake. :clapclap: I went to the Star Education fair last week and met IMU's dean of pharmacy, Prof. Peter. He said the 2+2 twinning programme with Otoga is confirmed already and the one with Queensland will be finalised in April. :lol: Wow !!! This really is the greatest news in this month !!! :clapclap: Ths is really a good news to those who wish to study in Australia and yet can't afford a total of 4 years there.

However, the fees are not confirmed yet. Application is now opened. This two programme should be applied under BPharm. Do contact IMU if you have any further enquiries. :D

I will be applying anyway :) I personally will prefer UQ but Otago is not a bad choice either. We will see how it goes.

IMU's Open Day -- 18th January 2009

Hahaha....I was so EXCITED when I heard this news. :lol: Wish that IMU will finalise its twinning with UQ and also get the accredition from LAN asap.

Hey Sharyl so sorry for the late reply but i guess u already made ur decision :) Anyway about the fees for glagow IMU collects on behalf of them and if i'm not wrong it follows the current exchange rate ( not fixed at 1 pound = RM6.5) so if anybody going this year i guess untung la. Ok as for the fees please bear in mind that what i'm quoting for is for 3 years agoion i guess it has already changed now. The total tuition fees and the accomodation for 1 year came up to slightly more than 13,000 pounds and as for living expenses i would estimate that i spend about 20 pounds weekly for food, shopping, transport, and etc depends on how u spend ur money really i cant say for certain how much. As for their facilities and all when was looking around other uni's actually during my time only UCSI, SIT and IMU offered pharmacy so i went to all the Uni's to have a look and i must say that i was quite impressed with IMU ( not to say that i'm advertising for them hehe) Well i never regretted going to IMU their labs are great, lecture theaters are also kinda nice, their library hmm i seldom go there :P but it is allright too they have quite a lot of medical books, cafeteria just ok to me but that was 5 years ago d la I think they renovated the whole building since i left. They also have a gym and student lounge , medical museum. My life in IMU oh well i was kinda the one that didnt join too many activities alway want to go back home wan hehe cz i live within driving distance so i didnt stay there. Well there was just one thing that i was unhappy about IMU is their syallabus for us M pharm students they tend to concentrate more on research base more than clinical whereas the local programme and local uni's they concentrated more on the clinical aspect so i have to say that when i came out to work i was really quite lost . But dont worry too much about it though :) Eventually it will turn out fine. Good Luck in ur course and hope u enjoy urself in IMU. Well i also agree with gingerbreadwomen u shud go out and find a pharmacist to interview him/her just so u can be really sure that this is what u wanna do in the future:) all the best well if u have any more to ask dun hesitate hopefully i'm able to share my experience with u

Edited by c@rris@

I myself will prefer twinning programme actually. At least I can spend 1 or 2 years overseas :D but daddy says he can't afford :( Anyway,I haven't given up yet. Still trying my very best looking for loans, scholarship.. hoping there'll be some ways to reduce the total expenses into my dad's budget. When it comes to the worse that means I'll have to do all the four years in local.

C@rris@,approximately how much you spent on living expenses during the one year in Glasgow ? The fees collected by IMU always follow 1 = 6.5 ? Or it fluctuates according to the world's currency ? Do you mind sharing your life in IMU with us ? What do you think about their facilities, lecturers, etc... Wish to know more :praisegod: thank you in advance !!!

Feiyinz,I'm not driving. So the nearer the better :) Wow..500 for twin sharing room ??!!! Even now at subang I'm paying 450 only for single room (though consider expensive also) but my current room has air-cond. Hehe.. I heard about the 3 condo near IMU. Err...called vista something right ? Is it all owned by IMU ? Is there any private owned units in the condo ? By the way, is air-cond available in the RM500 room you mentioned ? Weather's getting hotter and hotter nowadays :)

Thanks for all your wishes.. Thanks gingerbreadwoman too !! College starting this thursday :clapclap: have lots of fun in taylors although A-level is kinda hard... My AS result will be out just before CNY. Sob... really "mou ngan tai" :shakehead:

a lvl ya......i did mine too and finis last year but it was london board.shud b fine wan lol....haha is hard but a lvl is a good pre u programme o.yeah cum on,u can do it.

lolz so lucky sharyl... like that also can . Jealous sia , nevertheless hope for the best.. good luck

Hey there! i'm also interested in Bpharm (d one to otago) in imu. i've got the offer letter yesterday but the minimum requrement is AAA. darn it. i got all A in AS but in A2, i cant be sure. if you guys are in my position, will you take up this risk?