Sign in to follow this  
fred

Analyze your traffic

Nowadays, to measure how many visitors your store has per day is no longer enough, you need to analyze the data in order to plan your advertising campaign property.

I would suggest you to try Google Analytics, which is free and good. I'm using that to track traffic for all my sites as well, including MYB.

You can start tracking your traffic using Google Analytics by following the simple steps below :

1. Sign up for an account at : http://www.google.com/analytics/sign_up.html

2. Create a profile for your website and get the tracking code under : Analytics Settings > Profile Settings > Tracking Code

3. Place the tracking codes in your online store/blogshop's page footer, right before this tag : </body>

4. Check if the tracking is successful by monitoring the Tracking Status of your website profile

That's it. The benefit is unlimited after this simple setup. I strongly encourage all of you to try out this service.

Hi, for zen cart, you need to edit the design template in order to put in analytics' code. If I'm not wrong, it should be a file called tpl_footer.php some where in

includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/common/tpl_footer.php
look at the last few lines and you should be able to see
</body>
</html>

Just put the codes directly above </body>

Just to illustrate what can you get from Google Analytics, I've attached a few screen from MYB for your reference.

1. You can check how many unique visitors, page views you have within a period and you can compare all these values against another period as well. For example I compare MYB's traffic against the same period for last year. It is very easy to tell if your site is doing well or if there is any common busy period, which you might want to know when and why.

1comparison.jpg

2. You can know where are your visitors coming from. Do they key in your URL directly? Link from another site? Search from Google? And you can know the detail of each source, for example which website give you more visitors, where are the pages, which search engine and which keywords give you more visitors, etc.

2source.jpg

3. You can know the geolocation of your visitors, by country and even by city.

3location.jpg

There are a lot more information you can get, is quite hard for me to list them down. If you would like to know if certain tracking can be done using Google Analytics, just put it here, I'll try my best to answer =)

Hi, for zen cart, you need to edit the design template in order to put in analytics' code. If I'm not wrong, it should be a file called tpl_footer.php some where in

includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/common/tpl_footer.php
look at the last few lines and you should be able to see
</body>
</html>
Just put the codes directly above </body>
I could not find </body> in tpl_footer.php But I found it in
includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/common/tpl_main_page.php

So I just paste the code there...

Thank you for your help...

I dont know how to use this google analytical before. Sign up for it long time ago, but never opened since then..

Thank you for sharing your knowledge..hope you dont mind if I ask you more question..

I took at your website, it seems like you have put the tracking code in the correct place.

If you login to Analytics and look at Analytics Settings >> Profile Settings, on the top right hand corner, you should be able to see the status as Receiving Data. Then you should be able to to analyse your traffic already.

Cheers.

Hi Fred, have been trying for the past hour to locate the code that you described above: includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE.

I am using Word Press, with a Theme for their many choices. Can I do the same and where do I go? Manage Design? I checked under "footer.php" and just paste above <body> but I think nothing happened! Please advise? Thanks!

Hi Fred, have been trying for the past hour to locate the code that you described above: includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE.

I am using Word Press, with a Theme for their many choices. Can I do the same and where do I go? Manage Design? I checked under "footer.php" and just paste above <body> but I think nothing happened! Please advise? Thanks!

The one i mentioned above is for whiteazalea's zen shopping cart. For Wordpress, you will have to edit it differently.

For Wordpress, you can try this.

1. Login to Admin control panel

2. Select Presentation -> Theme editor

3. On the right hand panel, choose Footer

4. footer.php will be selected, and in the text box look for

</body>
</html>

5. Just add your codes above that.

Hi there!

I'm Edward Chew from Vios'07 Club and new here.

Glad to found this page. Doh doh zi gao.

I'm actually running forum for above car club, almost a year.

And we are curious about the visitors statistic in an intention to bring more members.

So I would like to know where should I add the above Tracking Codes? I can't seems to find that tpl_footer.php in my template files. There are few xxx footer files inside.

Forum is running on phpbb v3. So is that possible?

Forum - Vios'07 Club at www.vioszeroseven.com

Thank you :)