Sign in to follow this  
dotti

Working in Singapore

Unfortunately I am a graduate at the worst time during our economic downturn (can I guess that's whats happening)?

It's darn difficult to find a job in MSIA right now.

Friends and family suggest I work in Singapore.

Any babes in Singapore or have friends working there currently?

How's the situation over there? Any better generally?

Unfortunately I am a graduate at the worst time during our economic downturn (can I guess that's whats happening)?

It's darn difficult to find a job in MSIA right now.

Friends and family suggest I work in Singapore.

Any babes in Singapore or have friends working there currently?

How's the situation over there? Any better generally?

me too...

any1 can gv sum info and tips?

Sg now is in technical recession. Many companies is having retrenchment and freeze headcount. Now is not the employee's time, it's employer period. So must not picky on ur job. Many ppls are q-ing up to get job now too. Good luck ya!

Yah, a lot of companies in Singapore is freezing their headcounts, but I believe there will still be chances. Some of them may lay off more experience(expensive) stuff and get a cheaper one :)

My advice is, don't don't be picky, get a job first, be it salary lower than what you expected, job scope is not what you expected, longer working hour(5.5 days), small company, etc etc. Just get it first, settle down then aim for another job. Once you got work permit there and you stay there physically, is so much easier for you to go for interview and switch job. The first step is the hardest, especially in current situation.

If you need more information about Singapore, I will try my best to help. Cheers.

When you see how crowded is the restaurants, how packed is the boutiques, and how ppl buy things here, you don't really feel like there is a recession lol.

But anyway, even if recession got higher impact for Singapore, it also doesn't mean looking for a job there is a bad idea if compared to KL.

I've noticed many of my friends and their friends are going to Singapore frequently. I can't make any assumptions based on that alone, but am I wrong to think that Singapore's tourism is boosting and forever growing? Surely will have many jobs.. Again, I'm not an economist so..

hehe...shud starts watching bloomberg/CNN then you know hows the ecomony. dont talk about restaurants or the crowd, we now looking on company aspect, work force.....most company preparing for recession in 2009. our malaysian news dont tell all this. but depands on individu lor...hehee lol

:D just my opinion huhu :P^_^

I believe in Malaysia can still find a job. I see jobstreet got so many jobs. At least if you work here and stay at home you save a lot lor. But sg will be a good opportunity as well :)

i suggest you try to get in Msia first.. If anything happened, you still have your family as your back up.. yea, dont be picky..

I'm joining this Experience@Singapore 2009 forum/career fair convention. Anyone here from Singapore? Wanna take me and my peeps clubbing? hehe..

I'm joining this Experience@Singapore 2009 forum/career fair convention. Anyone here from Singapore? Wanna take me and my peeps clubbing? hehe..

When and where is the convention?

Now I'm looking into internship or work opportunity in China or Italy hehe..

As a famous person said.. in your 20s - really a stage a of self-discovery. Should travel the world!

Plus want to improve my Chinese and Italian!

Anyone got any advice? Suggestions?

I really wish I could go to Singapore and work one day. with the attractive exchange rate, I think a lot of ppl will be attracted :woot:

But definitely not now. If really want to go I think it'll be early 2010. but then right now I still got a lot of doubts in my head lo. Need to do more research :)

singapore is having recession now. when i flip through the newspaper everyday, it is always news abt retrenchment, salary freeze, etc etc.

my dept was outsourced to kl last yr. almost cut half of the headcount in my dept. fortunately, i was not affected.

but all of us are not sure whether will there be another round of headcount cutting.

so i guess it's not a suitable time to come now, i remember the newspaper said this round of recession will be much worse then the one happnened in 2001. total retrenchment may hit 20k ppl. when it comes, the 1st to go will be foreigner & PR. as a PR for more than 5yrs here, i'm kind of worried too.

but then again, if u do not have much financial burden, u can always try. anyway u will be compensated if u r ask to leave. like what was mentioned earlier on, you must not be picky as there are many Spore poly & university grads looking for job now too. i once heard a degree holder settled as a receptionist in the end

Now I'm looking into internship or work opportunity in China or Italy hehe..

As a famous person said.. in your 20s - really a stage a of self-discovery. Should travel the world!

Plus want to improve my Chinese and Italian!

Anyone got any advice? Suggestions?

dotti

hows the career event in sgpore?

Well basically I have two options: EPEC and NPR

For both, I know that I might have very little chance given my mere 8 month work experience.

Apparently you can only get such passes for employment if you are 'exceptional'.. education, work history, CGPA...

So right now, I'm gonna work on my work experience first before I apply :)

You're interested in the career fair? I heard there's another one this month.. great for networking.

However if you have read the newspapers lately, the job market is very compeititve. Too much labour supply coming from everywhere.

Why not working in Malaysia? I dont think it is so difficult to get a job here compared to SG...it is just that most of the fresh graduates are very picky and very demanding, demand for very high pay but with no experience...

To be honest, it is very difficult to hire a good fresh graduate to work nowadays..

Umm well it depends... not all fresh grads are like this. But employers need to learn a lesson too. You see sometimes employers never tell us really what the value of having us in your company will be... what can we learn from you? Will you even take time to train us?

Students know that in Malaysia, employers are lazy to teach and train new employees, expecting them to learn everything from scratch the hard way, not like other countries which considers putting new employees through induction period, training, development, then actual work.

So, students mentality is that Malaysian employers don't really give either, compared to equal rights and HR practices that other countries, such as Singapore adopts. Therefore as motivation we expect increases in compensation for this extra effort. Otherwise employers can expect this from their employees, 'Fine, I'll work for RM 1600 per month eventhough I have a degree. But goodluck in motivating me to work at my full potential". Which way do you want it?

But back to the topic, I am a foreigner and working in Malaysia as a fresh grad is virtually impossible because Malaysia only gives Employment Permits to the experienced (5 years or more). Singapore on the other hand has several programs that allow freshies like me apply for EP regardless of no Work Experience, based on my potential, previous work experience (part time is counted), and CGPA. What a great system it is over there. It makes sense.