Sign in to follow this  
EveEve90

Which type of hamster???

Hey... I've previously own hamsters... :( Problem is I m scared to hold them. N my last hamster bites me! Sob. It was a cute cute winter white. Which type of hamster is tame??? Wanna buy another 1.

try not to buy it from a petshop. get it from a home breeder who hand tames their hamsters. Personally i like syrians coz they are easier for newbies. :D

I have a ww :D getting a syrian next mth

I love dwarf hamsters, they look so cute. hehe

Care to tell me how much is the cost for each mth to rare one or two hamsters?

Edited by dorlisa

the hamster itself is pretty cheap RM15 onwards. The cage itself, its better to use a plastic tank - like the fish tank type. You can use the metal bars but then some hamsters tend to bite the bars which causes rust and poisoning.

The bedding you can use any of these (or a combination) = Wood shavings such as (brands) Chipsi Classic, Chipsi Super, Delikate and Kaytee. Avoid using other brands for pine and cedar wood can cause breathing problems later in life due to the phenol oils produced by the wood. Dont use those scented ones. One can also use corncob bedding, wood pellets like Woody Pet or Careline wood cat litter or recycled paper bedding/litter like CareFresh or Breeder\'s Select/Celect. Personally I use a mix of wood shavings (cant rmbr which brand) and Breeders Celect (RM22 for a 6l bag).

For the food, please please dont only give kuaci because its fattening. Give better quality food. It might seem pricy but hamsters only eat a little each day and no point to buy those cheap food that has that rabbit food pellets that you end up throwing away. Some good brands are : Harry Hamster, Prestige Hamster Nature, Vitakraft Hamster Menu

Hamsters need a wheel to run around in. Syrians need a bigger wheel, at least 8inches or more.

So in short

Hamster = about RM20

tank = RM25-35

Wheel = RM15

House = RM10 onwards (can also use a cup)

Water bottle = about RM5

Food = RM22

Bedding = RM9 (Chipsi Classic 6L)

The food and bedding will last for a few months and the tank and wheel you only need to buy once.

Perhaps I should show how my hamster tank looks like. Its kinda big for my Winter White (WW) actually. Might want to get a smaller tank for it soon coz im getting a syrian soon.

hamstercage02.jpg

This is a 2 feet plastic tank. I just drilled a hole in it to put the water bottle which is stuck outside via a suction cup. Then use an old (unused) ashtray for the food bowl

kiki3.jpg

Edited by icednyior

thx for suggesting... I noe syrians r gud for beginners... :( But I prefer dwarf hamster... Smaller size ones... Hamster breeder?! Where to find 1?

Thanks icedynor for the tips!! I didnt know there's different beddings lol. Aww ur hamster is cute! :)

syrian is best for beginners that love to hold and tame their hamsters, but it has to be kept one in a cage. dwarf hamsters are usually abit more difficult to tame, can be kept in groups or so. roborovski is the cutest and fastest, also the hardest to tame. for those common species in the market, only left with winter white to try out. I personally love robos so so so much, I dont hv much time to tame the hamsters (as you need to handhold them everyday), robo is the best for observing as I feel it's the "smartest" species or so. :P

I find that long-haired syrian is cute. Lol. But kinda hard to take care of~ I own a Winter White. So cute~ Lol.

Give some time to your hamster. Hand tame is a tasking job if you are not handling with care. I do think dwarfs are tamer.... syrians tend to get angry if you don't handle them with care.

Babes... My robo... :( Dont care bout my presence at all. I own 2 of them. My winter white always come 2 me when I offer it food. But not my robo...

How??? Is it because my robo is kept in pair n they'r still new 2 me? Or is it all Robo r like this?

Hey... I've previously own hamsters... :( Problem is I m scared to hold them. N my last hamster bites me! Sob. It was a cute cute winter white. Which type of hamster is tame??? Wanna buy another 1.

the red eyed hamster are kinda wild,if u want tame hamster,look for those brown/black beady eyed type..

I used to have a dwarf hamster..and it used to bite me all the time T__T I played with syrian hamsters before and they are very tame.