Sign in to follow this  
babybb

Is Hotel Management Gd ??? Plz advise..

Hi, i'm a newbie at here. I need some help at here hope any senior can advise me. I'm 20yrs old & i currently working. I was thinking wanna further more my studies since it was a waste if i continue to stick to working. I don't have much opinion on what courses that i wanna choose. <_<

My mum suggested Hotel Management, i have do some research & find it quite ok but i still not sure. Hope those who taking this course before or currently taking this course can kindly advise me. i reli so confuse as my sis told me if i choose tis as my career then b prepare as hotel line is not easy as i think plus there is not easy to get promoted even is start from lower level and salary is not much too.. OMG i dont care salary low o high i just care for my future & career. Plz help.. Ur reply is very much appreciated. Thank you so much :praisegod:

You know what? I took hotel management before ... and now I am working in a hotel lolz. Well, if you love to meet people, if you love to serve people ... or just be in a service line ... by all means go ahead. But, before doing that ... think properly if you are well prepared to face all kinds of people from very nice people to stupid people, get scolding for nuts ... long working hours standing. Also, ask yourself if you can take it seeing your friends having day offs on weekends and you can't as mostly you will only be having a day off on a weekday and you gotta work on shifts, round the clock. Most important in hotel line, you have to love your job. Or else, you will be torturing yourself ... badly. There is no such thing as going back on time, I guess this also applied with all the industries lolz. If there is someone on MC, you gotta stayback. BEar in mind, the rate of turnover in hotel line is very VERY high. Do more research and ask yourself if you can really take it

You know what? I took hotel management before ... and now I am working in a hotel lolz. Well, if you love to meet people, if you love to serve people ... or just be in a service line ... by all means go ahead. But, before doing that ... think properly if you are well prepared to face all kinds of people from very nice people to stupid people, get scolding for nuts ... long working hours standing. Also, ask yourself if you can take it seeing your friends having day offs on weekends and you can't as mostly you will only be having a day off on a weekday and you gotta work on shifts, round the clock. Most important in hotel line, you have to love your job. Or else, you will be torturing yourself ... badly. There is no such thing as going back on time, I guess this also applied with all the industries lolz. If there is someone on MC, you gotta stayback. BEar in mind, the rate of turnover in hotel line is very VERY high. Do more research and ask yourself if you can really take it

Oh my.. Thank u very much elle 4 ur info it reli help me so much. Actually i have work as an Administration Assistant since i graduate from high school until now. During the past 2 and a half year reli is torturing i change more than 5 jobs because every job was a unhappy job for me. i cried everyday and i lock myself inside my room not willing to talk with anyone :( then i was thinking i couldn't be like this forever maybe i should go for higher level of education so that my job will be much better and i was not thinking to find back office work after i graduate cause i find it very stress as what i doing at the moment. Anyway thanks elle ur info reli help me a lot :praisegod:

Edited by babybb

hello there!!

i was just browsing around and i saw this..

well i'm studying hotel management in YTL ICHM.. and it's great.. 

subjects from F&B, housekeeping, cooking, public speaking.. so on and so forth..

what elle said is true.. u gotta love what you're doing so then u won't be mentally and physically torturing urself..

well, hotel management is one of the best course, at least in my opinion.. because there's so many departments u can choose from..

and besides, if later on u decided to go out from the hotel environment with the shifts and all, the skills that u've learned will be a great help for other industries as well..

but do bear in mind that hotel and service line are one of the most challenging industry.. but it's all fun if u like it..

Well, if have not decided on the college u want to go and u're still in M'sia.. I like to suggest u to YTL ICHM..

In my opinion, this college is the best, because there is three times of industrial training while most of the colleges only once in their study modules..

and the lecturers that they have there are all experienced and they are mostly in manager position in some even was a general manager in a certain hotel.

so i hope that u will be able to find what you like and good luck!! =)

Thank you so much amichristie for your info on the courses & on the college as well. I have search your college on the net and i find it very gd i'll put it on my list. Haha.. cos actually i have few colleges on my mind rite now which i was looking for the best yet affordable for the hotel management course which now i have more interest on your college. :clapclap:

So amichristie are you still studying? or already graduate? Well at 1st i was thinking changing the courses but after hearing wat elle and you were saying i starting to like tis course :P

It's my pleasure to help =)

I'm still studying in the college, I've just finished my Sem 1 and now had just started my Sem 2.

Well, YTL ICHM is one of the affordable college compared to some other colleges, the fees for the Diploma in International Hotel Management is just around 25k.

It's a 2 and a half year course with 8 semester. 3 semesters we'll be going out for our industrial training in any of the YTL chains such as the world famous Ritz Carlton Kuala Lumpur, JW Marriot, Pangkor Laut and so on...

Maybe you can even try for the scholarship, just go for through the procedure and they will let you know whether u're eligible for the scholarship.

The fees includes uniforms!

Yes, in this college there's uniform, every student will be having three white collar working shirts, 1 coat/blazer, 1 vest, 2 skirts, a pair of pants, a tie, and kitchen wear including safety shoes.

All students there must wear uniform, no casual clothings. 

For me this is one of the main attraction for me too, cause we get to get used to the uniforms we have to wear once we're in the hotel industry and grooming is one of the most important thing in this industry...

The college is located at Titiwangsa in a HOTEL itself. (Vistana Hotel)

Yeap, we are able to experience how an employee should register themselves to work and we get to see the back of the house operations.

Houskeeping and other departments are easily accesable because we get to go up to the guest room and train ourselves!!

And Free food provided at the cafeteria, all students are entitle for it.. XD

Well for the subjects, we have lots of extra subjects too.

We have Accountings, Business Operation Rooms(Houskeeping), B. Communication, Kitchen Operation, Wine Tasting, F&B sevices, and many more..

We have extra subjects based on soft skills, like public speaking, learning to carry yourself... etc etc

And the lecturers we have are all mostly experienced in their department.

And every intake, it's only around 20 students that they accept, so that it's a small class and the lecturers will be able to give personal attention to everyone.

For my class, I'm from the April 2008 intake and there's only 18 of us, which is good, compare to other colleges that have almost a hundred of people in a class, because i personally prefer smaller class too..

So far, there's no intake that reaches 20 students, and we're happy to maintain that.. =)

Hmm, let's see what other info..

Oh yeah, the next intake is 2009 January, we just had our new intake on 28th of July..

Well, i think that's all.. 

feel free to ask me questions, glad that i can help! =)

Edited by amichristie

woah i found a hotel-kaki lolz ... well the good thing about going into this line is that ... you get the chance to work anywhere in this world because hotels are worldwide :D

Wow amichriste thank you so much for your kind infomation. Looks like your colleges is very good among all the colleges that i ask.. Oh my every intake they just accept 20 students only? well..i think that's good cos i like classes to be small groups also but how if when i register that time it already more than 20student? will they still accept maybe 1 or 2 more? Wow looks like i have to be fast to make my decision :P

Hmmm.. amichriste do your college have any open day in this coming few weeks or month? i would like to have a look at your college facilities and enviroment so that i can understand more. Oh vistana hotel i know where is it.. is at the LRT Tititwangsa just 5 minutes walking from there rite?

Amichriste just wanna ask you 1 more thing do your college have PTPTN Loan? If apply the scholarship what is the qualification?? cos my result is not very gd .. haha.. and is the accounting subjects hard?? honestly i'm not very gd in it i scare i cant catch up. wow Free food provided at the cafeteria?? is that true?? Looks like your college is best among the best leh..

lol.. elle hotel kaki.. high 5!! haha

well, babybb, they will try to maintain a small group of intake, cause they want to be able to pay personal attention to everyone..

and for the open days and stuff, i'm not too sure about it, but i do know that we will be in the education fair during december most probably at KLCC Convention center, but i'm not too sure about the exact day and everything..

the next intake will be on January 2009 so u do still have a little time to think..

well, I can find out for u whether it's alright to come to the college..

And yeah, the vistana hotel is the one that is near the LRT station..

the college is in 2nd floor and the 3rd floor where it is the kitchen that we will be using..

hmm.. there's not PTPTN loan though.. but u can apply for a scholarship and go through an interview before recieving the scholarship..

Yeap, free food is provided!! every hotel they have a cafeteria for their hotel staffs, so we are consider one of them too so we have free food!!

don't worry about the accounts..

it's the basic one... and besides everyone will be learning together, so there's no worries about it..

baby, did you take accounts for spm? if you did, accounts will be peanuts for you. I dropped accounts in form 4 and of course spm and when I knew that I had to take accounts in college, i almost bang my head against the wall and guess what with me being too good in accounts also i can pass, i guess everyone will be able too lolz ;)

Lol elle actually i do take account for SPM but i fail for that subject.. Since form4 i already dislike account but i force myself to take also and i just couldnt believe that i fail account in my SPM :tear: ..i try so hard.. Oh well guess it just not my luck :lol: .. hmmm actually i been waiting for education fair also but since every college nx intake is on jan while education fair is at dec so i tink its kinda rush 4 me 2 make decision that time. So :beta: make now lo..

Yes amichristie please help me to find out from your college course consultant whether it's alright to pay a visit to your college.. your help will be much appreciated :P .. Hmmm if cannot den i have to wait until education fair to go to ur college booth lol..

Oh yes 1 more thing i did like to ask you amichristie.. from what i see on your previous post is tht your college is located in a HOTEL itself (Vistana Hotel) so i was just wondering whether is it a half studies half work?? means while study we'll be working 4 the hotel at the same time?? Thank ya amichristie and elle for all your help & info .. reli appreciate tht.. haha :D

Edited by babybb

i think all colleges have both pratical and theory. You study for few semesters, you work as in you work there to experience it yourself how is it like to be working in a hotel, plus, I believe the college wants to get every student well prepared before really going into the working world, as to, not to give the students a real heart attack

Btw, dont worry about the Accounts, you got the basics, I dont. I mean, my teacher forced me to continue through Form 4 but I refused. Officially, I was still taking Accounts in Form 4 but unofficially I have dropped. I never studied anything and whatever happened in class I didnt know lolz .. I was just physically there. Furthermore, you will be studying it again ... so you will pick it up faster ;) dont worry too much about it :D

Edited by elle

Oh.. i'm so relief after hearing wat u have said elle.. i was all shaking & sweating when i heard the words of "ACCOUNT" :P ... haha.. Wor u dint studies any basic of account but u still can pass tats good enuf.. wish i were u 2 tat time.. so elle during the internship is there any allowance or mayb basic salary anything?

hahaha for my 2 internships no because you gotta see which hotel i was with at that time lolz ... and during my first training, it was our economic downturn and to get a place to train in is already good enough. HAHA. It's not compulsary for hotels to pay people but I do know some hotels who do pay some allowance to trainees, but I only know 2 so far haha but mind you, it's not enough, it's really very little lolz but it's better than nothing. However for my 3rd internship, they paid me like what they supposed to. It wasn't in Msia nevertheless. :)

Maybe you can do more research whether you really like this course, and I do hope that your decision is not base on people's words but from your inner-self

hey babybb!!

u can drop by to the college anytime, but it's better if u give them a call first..

and yeah.. it's really base on ur opinion whether u will enjoy this industry or not..

Go do more research it will be better! 

SO that u will know what are u getting urself into.. =)

GOod luck!!

Lol thank u very much 4 ur help & advised amichristie and elle. It's really do help me a lot in making my decision, well like wat u all say i'll do more research & get more info 1st b4 i really make my final decision. Once again thx so much.. will keep u all update ya.. :P

certainly i will be more than happy if you are joining the hotel industry because people who is not from this line will not understand how we feel lolz and if you are a family person, I suggest you not to because you will be working on shift round the clock and when it's time of the year where family get together, you can't be there, it's not impossible, but it depends on situation, also ... you are working round the clock. You can still celebrate all the festivals, but ... in the hotel, with your colleagues LOLLL. Anyways, probably it's not as bad as it sounds ... depending on the department and the hotel and more or less, it is the same

Do update us ;)

Hi All.. ok it's time to update some info i get tis past few days. i have visited 2 colleges last fri to get their info on Hotel Management due to time rushing i cant go more colleges especially i juz wanna find colleges at kl oli so its kinda hard.

1st i have visited Stamford College & i dun reli get a nice services from their course consultants so a thumb down for them :loser: .. They just answering wat i have asked & din even bother to explaining much to u either.. well guess their college is famous so din bother if u reli intested onot plus they going to shift the whole kl campus to pj campus end of next month.

2nd i visited YTL ICHM which amichristie have recommended & i get a extra gd services from their course consultants Cik Faridah if i'm not wrong.. which she show me all around the colleges & explaining to me every single detail that i wanna know, definitely a thumb up for them :thumbup1: .. she such a nice lady. Well she told me that average all classes is start from 10.30am until 8.30pm.. Oh my amichristie is tat true? Then amichristie is your college classes on weekdays oli? sat, sun & public holiday is it off? Haha.. well i forgot to ask Cik Faridah abt tat.. Overall i very like YTL ICHM with all the friendly enviroment & facilities.

Well elle i'm a family person actually.. since small i love to stick wit my mum where ever she go.. play with my mum.. but well at 1st i was kinda worry i'll get home sick but i was thinking i cant stick with my family 4ever its time for me to learn to be indepandent. haha.. said is easy but when come to do it its hard. :P

Amichristie ur reply is highly appreaciated.. thx u..

Christie at ur service!!

lol.. umm the classes are around 10am - 8.30pm..

but it depends though..

the faculty will try to not have classes on saturdays..

but there's definitely no classes on sundays and public holidays.

When did u come here?? Didn't see you... 

Yeah, It's Miss Sharifah.. She's one of our lecturer too..

She's teaching IELTS and Speaker's Club.

So far, I have only classes on Weekdays and if there's class on saturday it's replacement class.

And one class on tuesday till 8pm.

My classes usually starts at 10am.

Hmm.. maybe you can msn me..

It's easier that way.. here's my add: christie_garethfan@hotmail.com

=)

Hav u visited Flamingo International College located at Ampang? They r having their next intake on Sept 8th, and their hotel mgmt course duration is 2 years for a Diploma total cost about RM23k included uniforms knifes etc but exclude City&Giulds external paper fees. N they do provide industrial training as well. Just suggesting :)

BTW their classes starts from 9am to 5pm on weekdays...

I used to study there but not this course la :P

Edited by JenniJane

Hi, JenniJane.. thx for your suggestion ya. Actually that day i plan to pay a visit at your college Flamingo International also but due to time rushing i dont have enough time so i was planning maybe nx week or early next month to go & have a look at your college.. :P oh JenniJane wat courses u studying at there?

Hi, Christie.. Thx for your info as well. Haha.. you reli been helping me so much.. thx. oops.. sorry i have mistaken miss sharifah name.. oic.. how abt En. Khairul? is he 1 of your lecturer also? i contacted En. Khairul before i come that day but i didnt manage to meet him..

Lolz.. i last fri 15/8 around 3:15pm reach your college if i not mistaken.. i wear a black shirt & a jeans.. U sure u nvr see me? haha.. its ok if i really enrol your college then that time u'll be able to see me edi.. :clapclap:

At 1st i didnt know i have to take the staff lift to your college & i took the lift at the lobby which i din see any 2nd floor so i ask the front desk gals at the lobby but everyone is so busy attending customer lucky came this Mr. Jonathan assist me to the college.. He such a nice & friendly guy.. he even told me he is 1 of the student here before.. haha

Oh yes christie i already add you in my msn lo.. thx ya for giving me ur msn add den i'll be able to ask you if i need any info :D

It's my pleasure to help =)

I'm still studying in the college, I've just finished my Sem 1 and now had just started my Sem 2.

Well, YTL ICHM is one of the affordable college compared to some other colleges, the fees for the Diploma in International Hotel Management is just around 25k.

It's a 2 and a half year course with 8 semester. 3 semesters we'll be going out for our industrial training in any of the YTL chains such as the world famous Ritz Carlton Kuala Lumpur, JW Marriot, Pangkor Laut and so on...

Maybe you can even try for the scholarship, just go for through the procedure and they will let you know whether u're eligible for the scholarship.

The fees includes uniforms!

Yes, in this college there's uniform, every student will be having three white collar working shirts, 1 coat/blazer, 1 vest, 2 skirts, a pair of pants, a tie, and kitchen wear including safety shoes.

All students there must wear uniform, no casual clothings.

For me this is one of the main attraction for me too, cause we get to get used to the uniforms we have to wear once we're in the hotel industry and grooming is one of the most important thing in this industry...

The college is located at Titiwangsa in a HOTEL itself. (Vistana Hotel)

Yeap, we are able to experience how an employee should register themselves to work and we get to see the back of the house operations.

Houskeeping and other departments are easily accesable because we get to go up to the guest room and train ourselves!!

And Free food provided at the cafeteria, all students are entitle for it.. XD

Well for the subjects, we have lots of extra subjects too.

We have Accountings, Business Operation Rooms(Houskeeping), B. Communication, Kitchen Operation, Wine Tasting, F&B sevices, and many more..

We have extra subjects based on soft skills, like public speaking, learning to carry yourself... etc etc

And the lecturers we have are all mostly experienced in their department.

And every intake, it's only around 20 students that they accept, so that it's a small class and the lecturers will be able to give personal attention to everyone.

For my class, I'm from the April 2008 intake and there's only 18 of us, which is good, compare to other colleges that have almost a hundred of people in a class, because i personally prefer smaller class too..

So far, there's no intake that reaches 20 students, and we're happy to maintain that.. =)

Hmm, let's see what other info..

Oh yeah, the next intake is 2009 January, we just had our new intake on 28th of July..

Well, i think that's all..

feel free to ask me questions, glad that i can help! =)

hi i'm very interested in the college that u mentioned.i have been to the education fair last sunday.i am so attracted to how passion of the students there.but i have some question to ask.wat is the latest class in the course.will it be over 6pm?? i'm working on to persuade my mum to agree with my decision.i really love to join ytl-ichm but my mum is not agreeing with me.i really need ur help to persuade her.will it very inconvenient about the daily expenses and transport??i really really love to go to ur college but i nid ur help to give me some useful information..thank you...