Sign in to follow this  
La Di Da

Sugar Gliders

IPB Image

Cute aren't they?

These critters are absolutely social creatures (if tamed from young). And they are the kind of pet that you can bring out to anywhere eg. college, work, shopping, etc. All you need a pouch to keep them in. I've kept two baby sugar gliders in a spectacle pouch before.

IPB Image

IPB Image

The eat a variety of fruits, veggies, insects, honey, baby food, boiled egg and other suitable food.

They are nocturnal creatures that means they are active at night. Also a plus point cuz you can take them out jalan jalan in the day and they won't be a bother cuz they'd be mostly sleeping :P

Being marsupials, the females have pouches where they keep their young.

IPB Image

IPB Image

anybody here keep sugar gliders? :clapclap:

Not me, but they really are adorable looking! However, they are wee bit too small... is it hard to take care of them? Cleaning, feeding...

How do you feed them? And where do you keep them?

Doyou keep them caged or do you let them roam freely around yr house? If they are captive bred and raised from young, most probably they can be free roaming.

I bought my sis a chipmunk and after keeping it for two years I asked her to let it go and see whether it will come back. She didn't want to take the risk. To me, if it runs away then ok, enjoy yr freedom but if it comes back then i have got myself a free roaming chipmunk. After all a chipmunk only costs RM50. I can get another easily but with sugar gliders, you have to be more careful. They should cost around RM400.

I like free roaming pets. Imagine if you have a sugar glider living free in your bedroom, running in and out as it likes and responding to your call. Of course you would have to train it to defecate outside and not on your bed. That would be cool.

later these fella's kena hentam by my doggies and take them as chasing toys/treats LOL ! but they are cute and adorable nonetheless.

Not me, but they really are adorable looking! However, they are wee bit too small... is it hard to take care of them? Cleaning, feeding...

How do you feed them? And where do you keep them?

nah. they're easy pets. Lol. the full grown size would be around 5 inches in body length. they remain small enough to fit into your pocket ;)

they are clean pets in general. from what I noticed, they usually only poo in their cages. reason for pooping outside of the cage would be because the poor dear's spooked but not too worry, as long as you keep the diet right, you'll get "firm" poo. basically I've been pooed and peed on but absolutely no harm done.

oh yeah, and u don't even have to bathe them! cuz they enjoy grooming themselves so they make sure they are kept clean. if you do feel the need to clean your gliders, just use a baby wipe.

feeding wise.. they can either eat from their food dish or right off your hand ;) that's usually what we do when taking gliders out go jalan jalan. keep fruits with us (grapes, piece of melon, etc.).

sugar gliders are arboreal so they would require a tall enclosure. and also, slightly wider than your average bird cage since sugar gliders can "glide" as proposed in the name... they'd enjoy gliding from one end to the other. or maybe just jump if the distance is too short. :P

you don't need alot of patience with them. If you get baby ones, they will bond with u easily. most ppl would just keep them in pouches (like I mentioned before, a spectacle pouch) and put it close to them. it's a way of bonding. then during your own lunch break, just offer the glider a piece of fruit. when u come home, just pop the little fella into the cage and give it its daily meal. and you're good to go!

only problem with sugar gliders I'd say is housing them. The cage takes up quite a bit of space. but other than that, no problem to it ;)

Doyou keep them caged or do you let them roam freely around yr house? If they are captive bred and raised from young, most probably they can be free roaming.

I bought my sis a chipmunk and after keeping it for two years I asked her to let it go and see whether it will come back. She didn't want to take the risk. To me, if it runs away then ok, enjoy yr freedom but if it comes back then i have got myself a free roaming chipmunk. After all a chipmunk only costs RM50. I can get another easily but with sugar gliders, you have to be more careful. They should cost around RM400.

I like free roaming pets. Imagine if you have a sugar glider living free in your bedroom, running in and out as it likes and responding to your call. Of course you would have to train it to defecate outside and not on your bed. That would be cool.

yeah. sugar gliders are loyal critters but caging is more like a discipline, you know? as in to let the sugar glider know its place to do their business and eat.

sugar gliders can respond to their names but it's still safer to have your sugar gliders in sight when they are not cages. they are curious critters and may consume any foreign objects lying around the house.. or go playing in the wires... or worse... get eaten by the cat ^_^

hamster cage too small and it's low but it's ok for temporary housing for when u want to bring for vacation and such. the cage best be 2 x 1.5 x 2 feet. at least

A fren of mine has one she says she feeds them chicken meat, kfc, whatever she can get hold of.... ^_^

What do they eat really?

A fren of mine has one she says she feeds them chicken meat, kfc, whatever she can get hold of.... ^_^

What do they eat really?

aiyo... not suppose to feed all those stuff... ^_^

chicken meat is ok but it's supposed to be boiled with just plain water.. no fat.

they actually feed on fruits, veggies, hard boiled eggs, mealworms, crickets, honey, and whole load of other stuff. but KFC isn't one of them :P oh yeah, can feed them baby food and jam too.

OMG...... those eyes.... :wub: so cute!! look a bit like bat hor? i mean the face... i might get one after i graduate.... they sound like really good pets to have :D

haha. cute yeah?? like wanna cry like tht tht thing... haha. well, it's definitely cuter than a bat :P don't have those foxy look... btu I think the ears look similar... kinda rubbery looking.

I think they make good pets too but most importantly must spare some time to bond with them. Although they may require only one hour a day but even that, may seem easier said than done. That's why most ppl keep sugar gliders in pair so that the sugar glider will have a friend to play with when they master's too busy to layan them.

they bond rather easily. The first time i saw my friend sugar glider, it took an immediate liking to my shirt and shoulder. It doesnt even want to be taken off from me =.= My friend would take him away, put it on the ground. But he would climb up to me again...

very very cute and adorable creatures... but must treat with gentle care.... esp guys with strong firm hand.. must be very very gentle to them... :D

Yea, v cute. Those innocent eyes look like da eyes from the pussy cat in Shrek 2, haha. My fren is having it as a pet too but neva got to see it, he lets it move around freely in his house.

i think the funniest thing i seen with sugar glider is this. One time we were gathering at a friend's place and admiring her sugar gliders. There was this guy sitting on the sofa wearing really big shorts.

Suddenly the sugar glider jumped on to him and sneak under his shorts. My friend went hysterical ..

Her: dont move dont move!! u might crush it!!!

Shorts Guy (SG): WAt?!?!?! Get it out !!!!

Me: Dont stand up!! just sit there! or u might crush the poor bugger!

SG: Har?!?! What if it decides to do something??

Her: Dun worry la, it wont give u a job one

SG: its moving deeper inside!!!

Her: ok open ur shorts..

SG: Hey it startitng to do something!! *Ouch* pain pain!!

Her: omg..

SG: *argh* its biting me!!!!

Me: omg......

*louder scream*

i think the funniest thing i seen with sugar glider is this. One time we were gathering at a friend's place and admiring her sugar gliders. There was this guy sitting on the sofa wearing really big shorts.

Suddenly the sugar glider jumped on to him and sneak under his shorts. My friend went hysterical ..

*louder scream*

Dat's pretty funny, I pity da guy though, haha.

*louder scream*

haha. its funny man.

cute thingy u have there la di da

I never seen anything like that before. where to get it and how much it cost u>??

i think most established petshops have it. The one in mid valley selling it for rm 900++ and other places in pj selling it like rm 600 to 800

did they bite..??

oh yeah, they do bite, but depends la. They can be hostile at times... esp if they are not used to ur smell

Hmm..like hamster ler..they bite if they cannot recognize u..my bf wanted 2 buy 4 me..n he say d cost 'bout RM300 a couple..is it current price..??im intrested t cute n small pet..wanna add another kind of pet..hehe:D

did they bite..??

of course! but only for defense purpose la..they'll be friendly towards u once they get used to ur scents.

aiyohhhhhh! so cute! La Di Da....may i know where can i get this little creature? is it necessary to get them when they are baby?

seems she's not here, i can give u her contact if u're intrersted in those creatures. Hmmm..as far as I know, its better to get 2-3 months old babies. They'll bond with u easily and not fierce. Its best if u get 'em (any pets) from breeders, not petshops. Much cheaper & healthier.

pm me if u're interested :)