Sign in to follow this  
weN

Make up tools

Just thought I'd share all about the make-up tools with the babes here. smile.gif Hope this helps.

Sharpener

Its like the one in your old school pencil case, only this one's for lip and eye pencils. Pop soft pencils in the freezer for a few minutes before sharpening to prevent them from breaking in the sharpener. Note of caution: A shapener made by one company may not work with the eye pencil of another.

Tweezers

Used for cleaning up brows. Look for a pair you can hold easily, with scissors handles or a finger grip. Avoid pointed tips which can pinch your skin.

Brow brush

Helps to tame brow hairs and soften brow make-up. In a pinch, a clean preferably new toothbrush would be a good subsitute.

Eyelash curler

With a steady hand, you can crimp lashes upward to make them look longer. Place curler at the base of lashes, and be careful not to pull or break hairs. Do not curl for longer than 15 secs. Apply mascara after curling, and wash the rubber curling pad often.

Cotton swabs

Perfect for blending and removing mascara mistakes.

Tissues

Excellent for cleaning brushes and for wiping up spills but use them sparingly to blot skin. The wood fiber they are made from can irritate sensitive skin.

Latex wedges

Perfect for cleaning up smudges under the eyes and powdering the eyelids to help eyeshadow last longer. Use it like an eraser to tone down heavy make-up and remove smudges. Keep a couple in your daily kit to clean up old make-up and to tone down shine with powder.

Sea sponge

When damp, a small sea sponge can help to give a soft, even finish to foundation by blending it more easily.

Sponge-tip applicator

When applying eyeshadow, sponges can create more controlled definition than brushes. They can also help prevent shadow from falling around the eye, and are ideal for blending eye pencil for a smooth finish.

Eyeshadow brush

A fluffy brush that is tapered with a rounded head. Used for applying a sheer wash of shadow. Also good for blending, and for removing shadow when you've put on too much. Look for one with soft, supple hair.

Foundation brush

The flatness of a foundation brush enables you to apply a thinner layer wherever its needed. It's also great for mixing foundation with concealer or applying concealer close to the eye.

Powder brush

Used for creating a light, sheer finish with loose or pressed powder. It should be the largest brush - full, soft, and slightly rounded in shape. If it's too large, you'll end up dusting more than just your face.

Blush brush

Smaller than the powder brush and more tapered. It should be soft and supple enough to blend well yet resilient enough to enable you to place brush accurately.

Eyeliner brush

Used to soften and blend pencil around the eye. Also good for applying eyeshadow as liner, wet or dry, and for painting concealer over blemishes.

Cleaning brushes

If used daily, brushes should be cleaned once a week. Otherwise the hairs will be damaged and it will be more difficult to apply make-up. Wash gently with shampoo and warm water, being careful not to rub the hairs the wrong way. Rinse well, and smooth hairs into place, then let air-dry. Or use a make-up dry cleaning solution by pouring it onto a tissue, then gently wiping across the brush. Brushes will dry immediately.

Brush selection

Invest in good-quality brushes like those made from sable. They ensure better results, and with care they will last longer. smile.gif

great info... thanx weN

No prob. ;) Its always good to share knowledge. :)

Never tot a makeup bag need some many tools!As if the bag like a surgeon bag!!

Well, make-up artists carries a whole train case. ;)

Edited by weN

Latex wedges

Perfect for cleaning up smudges under the eyes and powdering the eyelids to help eyeshadow last longer. Use it like an eraser to tone down heavy make-up and remove smudges. Keep a couple in your daily kit to clean up old make-up and to tone down shine with powder.

Sea sponge

When damp, a small sea sponge can help to give a soft, even finish to foundation by blending it more easily.

what are these?! never heard of them before!! got a picture to show?! sound so cool leh, or mayb i hav seen it before just dont know what they call

This is how latex wedges look like smile.gif

user posted image

And below would be the sea sponge.

user posted image

wow...ive seen latex wedges, in fact im using them! but sea sponge, never seen! so cool, so are sea sponges use to blend foundation? whats d difference between this and latex wedges?

I can't tell you for sure. I took those off a book. But as far as I know, the sea sponge prolly has a lil rougher surface but when its damp it helps to glide foundation easily over the face? As for the use of latex wedges I guess it's as mention above. Sorry if I didn't answer the question.

can anyone please tell me the prices of various brands for powder brush?i've seen guardian and watsons selling brushes, but what are the actual differences with these with 'branded' ones?

when u use latex sponge, wun it absorb a lot of foundation?will u end up using more compared to blending foundation with fingers?

can anyone please tell me the prices of various brands for powder brush?i've seen guardian and watsons selling brushes, but what are the actual differences with these with 'branded' ones?

For prices of brush you can ask the other babes at the following topic:

Brushes

when u use latex sponge, wun it absorb a lot of foundation?will u end up using more compared to blending foundation with fingers?

Latex wedges

Sea sponge

Foundation brush

The flatness of a foundation brush enables you to apply a thinner layer wherever its needed. It's also great for mixing foundation with concealer or applying concealer close to the eye.

There was no suggestion at all to use a latex sponge to apply foundation. You are encouraged to use a foundation brush instead to apply foundation. The author of the book doesn't encourage using your fingers due to the issue of germs. Kindly read carefully. smile.gif Hope that helps.

hi girls.. i had this hard bristle angle brush.. could anyone please tell me how to use it? use for what purpose?

this brush is for ur brows or if it's really thin, u cna use it for lining the eyes with eyeshadow

omg...really cool...extremely informative!!

hehe..i feel like im a dummie here..

erm...how to use the latex wedges??where can i buy it?

expensive??

thank you

yea lor..where to get the latex wedges? :unsure: seems like its so useful..hehe

n i cant see the image of the latex wedges posted above..can someone show me here again?

thanks!

Edited by cynnz

need to ask la -> do we really need to buy those branded & expensive brush/tool to get our makeup better than use a normal/cheap/non-branded brush/tool...really got the diff?

Edited by mynicole

fluene..elianto's brush set got include the latex wedges or not? can show us? :D

There is really difference in using good or bad brushes. Good brushes will be able to enhance your make up, making them look more even, natural and smooth. Bad brushes won't be able to do the same. But then, expensive brushes do not mean good while cheap ones do not mean bad either. Say, Elianto. Very cheap but very good.

Cynnz, Elianto's brush set consist of only brushes. You have to buy the latex wedges separately. Sorry, I don't have the pic because I did not buy the whole set. I only have the concealer, eye shadow and the blusher brush. I have just bought the blusher brush (RM12), then only I saw the whole set. Hai yah! You can have a look at www.elianto.biz

thanks fluene..u r right..cheap doesnt mean not good..it depends..

i will get the whole set..so worthy... :P

for those who are using silkygirl's funky eyelights, elianto's sharpener fits it perfectly well! and it's very cheap, only RM4 ! :)