Sign in to follow this  
k3n

Carmen Soo

I prefer Carmen's look too compared to Amber. Carmen looks like she's got a nice mixture, great complexion, beautiful features, and don't kill me but I know that Carmen definitely makes a better 'spokes' person, considering the times I have heard Amber speak. Carmen has the whole package. Only my 1 ringgit as usual..

carmen soo and i went to the same primary school sultan alam shah in pj.She is pretty since young and i think she live in seksyen 14( her parents house).She was one year my senior and her sister was in the same school i was in.Unfortunately, her sis did not look as good as her , dont know carmen soo personally, but she seem nice.I like both her and danielle graham

i saw carmen soo in person before.. shopping in klcc with elaine daly. she dressed simple and nice.. cropped jeans, tank top and flats. very pretty.. not very tall. but i didnt see her close up, so dunno how she look - without makeup or with...

she's not very tall, but she is natural beauty..she pretty much look the same in primary school and now..i saw her in person at midvalley 5 yrs back shopping by herself, she still look great

Carmen Soo... she's so pretty. She's got that natural looks. She's simple lookin girl. She better

than Amber.. :clapclap:

Ever since I've seen Carmen, I've always thought of her as the prettiest model around in Malaysia. Her face features are sharp and very attractive, and her whole package is sweet, demure, but elegant at the same time. I like the fact that she does not look too "Pan-Asian" compared to some other models. She definitely fits the definition of the word "gorgeous." She would have made it big if she is taller though.

By the way, can anyone tell me if Carmen is a Mixed? She looks like one though ...

what race is she? mixed? shes very natural... all her features are to die for!!!

I've read somewhere that she has Chinese and English blood.

I wonder what's her real height though. I've came across a few sources and each gives a different height, ranging from 5'6" (I doubt she's that tall though) to 160 cm... (hmm...). My guess is that she's around 163 cm.

that's the beauty of photography + photoshop.. :lol:

the makeup is to make sure the photograph comes out nice nice for us to drool over her.. :P

Totally with you. Make-up and photography by a professional makes anyone look ten times better. :lol:

However, I do think, as most of her fans do, that she looks great. Simply awesome. She's transitioned into a graceful young lady, methinks. :clapclap:

Never met her and don't think I will get a chance to do so in the foreseeable future, so I'll reserve the use of the word "beautiful".

Yea Carmen is very pretty...but i think she is a pretty face without that attitude. All her photos look very pretty and elegant to me....but i dun feel that strong attraction to her.

I supposed different people have different opinions. Some may feel strongly towards her and some just don't have any at all. At least she does have a pretty face.. :)

she studied in smk taman sea, which is my current school now.

haha well my school published a book for the students and they has got a page about carmen soo.

haha do let me know if you guys want to read.

i'll type out the article if requested lol. :D

An Interview With...

Carmen Soo Wai Meng

5 Meranti, 1994

Most wouldn't have dreamed that Sea Park could produce the very gorgeous and celebrated model-actress, Carmen Soo. Soo Wai Meng actually studied in SMKTS between 1990-1994. She had served in the Leo Club and as a Quarter-Master, and competed for the school in gymrama and swimming.

Wai Meng became Carmen the model whilst still only in Form 5, and has come a long way since then. Carmen has modelled for advertisements and commercials in Malaysia. Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, Hong Kong, China, Taiwan, Japan, South Africa and Europe. She has figured prominently for Kao Biore and Pantene, amongst others, and is a spokesperson for Longines.

In 1999, Carmen made her acting debut in "Gorgeous" starring with Jackie Chan and Shu Qi. Following that she has appeared on music TV with Aaron Kwok and Leo Ku. Back in Malaysia, Carmen proved her acting versatility in the films "Visits: Hungry Ghost Anthology" (in Mandarin), "The 3rd Generation" (in Cantonese) with Amber Chia and "Baik Punya Cilok" (in Bahasa Malaysia) with Patrick Teoh, etc. She has even tackled the challenge of acting on stage- appearing in the plays "Wish I Was There" and "The Girl From Ipoh" (both in English).

More recently, Carmen has turned into a businesswoman by opening the fashion boutique-"Kushi", making good use of her degree in Business Management and her wide contacts and experience. Beneath the demure petite physique is a feisty enterprising individual who knows what she wants in life. Despite her fame and glamorous career, Carmen remains very much down-to-earth and keeps in touch with her classmates. Ever the filial daughter, Carmen prefers to live with her parents when in Petaling Jaya.

How did you get interested in modeling? Have you always wanted to be a model?

When I was very young, I wrote down "doctor, nurse, teacher" as my ambitions or career choices. I never planned to be a model.

I was still studying Form 5 in SMKTS when I came accross a contest in the now defunct magazine- Verve, looking for new talent. I jumped at the chance without much thought. Maybe I was also hoping to create an impression that I could be pretty and pursued...

Anyway, as it turned out, I won the contest and that led to doors of opportunity being opened for mein modeling.

I have this friend who worked for an agency at the time, and you came to audition for a "soap" commercial. My friend thought, "This small girl so dark, cannot make it...", and you didn't get the part. This friend is so (envious) proud of your achievements now and conveys his regards.

Thanks. I tan very easily and spent much time outdoors when I was in school and at sports.

I have been getting assignments doing beauty commercials since then. As my career depends on it, I am very careful about maintaining my looks and use sunblock.

I understand that Taylor's College was your first break as a model. But you then studied in Stamford College.

Yes, I did a TV commercial for Taylor's College.

I chose to study in Stamford College upon my father's advice to do management or marketing course locally.

After you finished with your studies, you moved to Hong Kong all by yourself when you were just 21. What a spirit, girl!

That's right. I was persuaded to break into Hong Kong by my agency manager then. Of course, my parents and I were a little worried at first. I gave myself 3 months to try out.

However, the agency over in Hong Kong took good care of me, and the jobs just kept coming in. Months became years!

I quickly linked up with the other Malaysian models in Hong Kong- Irene Santiago and Danielle Graham. When our busy schedules permit, we would get together to hunt for Malaysian food there.

What do you like about modeling?

The money is quite good, especially for the international assignments.

I really enjoy the traveling! I shot a commercial with Leo Ku in the Maldives. Then I was in South Africa for 2 weeks, to help promote their tourism industry. There are so many beautiful and exciting places that I have visited as a result of my work.

I also like meeting people. I have met so many interesting characters, celebrities or otherwise.

However, under the exteriorof glamour, modeling can be very hard work. For example, when I did a shampoo commercial for a Taiwanese company, I had to get up at 2am every morning and shoot outdoors in winter for the whole day. And I had to dress up in a short skirt and thin top. As they had this rule against interaction with the talent (me), no one talked to me and they forgot to feed me. Then there is also the pressure of staying slim and beautiful.

The public is also less forgiving of models and other celebrities. A small mistake can be blown out of proportion. Even a minor imperfection won't be tolerated. We have to be on our guard all the time. But celebrities are also humans. We are not the same as the characters we potray (in the movies and photoshoots).

Why didn't you stay on in Hong Kong to advance your acting career?

I decided to return from Hong Kong partly due to the SARS outbreak. Where my base is not important, as I have etablished myself and still do get international assignments.

The acting profession is very competitive in Hong Kong. You have to do a lot of public relations to stay in the limelight to get noticed. There is also a lot of pressure to do things which I wasn't ready to do (like nudity). I believe that I should hone my skills so I would be hired for my acting and not for the dubious stuff.

Moreover, I didn't depend on acting for my livelihood- it is more of exploring my self potential. I am still a model first, and now I have my business.

Tell me about "Kushi".

"Kushi" is the Hindi word for joy, which I learned from watching Bollywood movies. We sell accessories, bags and clothes of distinctive Thai designs.

I have put a lot of energy into my boutique and have lost some weight. Presently, we are relocating from the crowded premises in Bangsar.

Any tips for school leavers who want to get into modeling? Also some beauty tips for the aging Sea Parkians.

You have to get yourself a good agent because they are the ones getting you jobs. You must have self-discipline and be professional on the job in order to leave a good impression for the future. You must know your worth and have to take good care of yourself. Be careful not to get exploited- the industry has it share of the unsavoury.

Any typo pls msg me.. I was in a hurry.

plumPixie Posted Today, 01:37 PM

Love the interview! Thanks yipi for typing this out... She sounds humbly down-to-earth. May I know when is this interview dated?

welcome (:

Hmm.. they don't have a date there. but this interview is published in my school's 30th anniversary this year.

so i think it's this year (:

WeeMen Posted Today, 08:35 PM

yup thanks yipi! i wonder where is kushi

welcome (:

kushi is in bangsar hahaa, as i know from the article :P

yea she's cute since she's young ..... u can't compare Amber with Carmen cause both have their own beauty .... & Carmen is mix by the way...

carmen is gorgeous man, serious. darn elegant. classic beauty.

i heard she has a diva attitude though but oh well, a woman that beautiful, i guess i can swallow it. hehehe. :drool:

i heard she is a goody two shoes girl. not that it is bad. :D