Sign in to follow this  
shadowprincess

Recipe Discussion and Request Thread

I was wondering...can we actually make mash potato with potatoes?(i know the packet says ingredients potatoes but what i'm saying is DIY) I mean...how long we have to cooked it to make it totally smashed???? :unsure:

Ahh, I don't use rice wine and corn flour. That's the problem! Thanks!

And as for the mashed potato, basic recipe is:-peel potato, cut them in quarters, boil them with a little salt in water till tender, drain potato in large bowl and use hand masher to mash them with a some milk, butter, salt and pepper. At that point you can chuck in some herbs as well if you want.

Not too sure where to ask for a recipe, but does anyone have the recipe for stir fried baby kai lan with garlic? It's always so yummy in restaurants but I'm sure I'm missing something when trying it out at home.
Hi, you can look out for my recipe Brocolli with Chinese Wine and replace the brocolli with Baby Kai Lan. Works the same. This dish is cooked on the highest possible flame of your stove. It is difficult to replicate the flavours, however this is the closest you'll ever get to a restaurant-grade dish.

What you are talking about is Cantonese cuisine, which emphasizes on the natural taste and colour of the main ingredients, hence short cooking time to preserve the flavours. Sauces and condiments act to complement the main ingredient, not overwhelm it.

Most Cantonese dish main ingredients are either blanched or flash-fried before the main cooking to seal in the juices / flavours and preserve the natural colour / shape. Due to the high temperature and relatively short cooking times involved, more often than not it is not feasible to use a ladle. Therefore, most chefs prefer to toss.

Not much needed...Oil(much is better)Take note that the fire they use ouside r heavy, our normal stove can't produce fire as heavy as theirs :) ....i dunno how to explain in english but it's called "wok hei"...

It just like when u cook with coil n fire is different....

Good Chinese restaurants use a specially made stove called the "Hong Kong Stove" i.e. a high pressure gas stove. Air is compressed and pumped together with cooking gas to produce a "hotter" flame. It works similarly to a turbo charger in an engine, in essence. It is very very noisy in operation. Don't blame the chefs for yelling at you, they can't actually hear each other in the kitchen ;) One of these babies cost over RM 20,000.00 to construct due to the nature of cast iron works involved. All Hong Kong Stoves are made to order.

IPB Image

The actual burner is made out of cast iron and is surrounded by bricks (think circular chimney) to retain generated heat. It also acts as a insulator to prevent the surrounding metal works (usually stainless steel) from melting. The typical temperature of a Hong Kong Stove flame can come up to 2,000 degrees celcius. I have seen chefs heating their wok red hot in seconds. That's why there always is constant water supply at the stove itself, mainly for cooking but also to cool the counter.

The wok that Chinese chefs use are made out of cast iron, and is able to distribute and retain heat for a long period of time. The Cantonese wok is a deep wok with a long protruding handle whilst the Szechuan wok has two "ears" on opposite sides of the pan and is more shallow and heavy.

So there you go, a brief insight into the Cantonese kitchen.

Cheers! Leo

Edited by leo-chan

Question: wht the diffrence between sponge mix and normal flour + sugar + salt?....normally i bake cake i use sponge mix...just add tht + eggs etc...
Sponges, or more commonly termed Genoise (pronounced je-nuah, French) is the result of whipping air into a sugar / egg mixture followed by folding in flour. The sugar acts as a binder to hold the protein strands in the egg together, allowing it to gather more volume as air is incorporated into the mixture. If you take a look at my cake recipes here and in my blog, you will see how it is made. The basic formula is 25g sugar and 25g flour to each egg used. Hence, a 4-egg recipe will use 100g sugar and 100g flour. Melted butter is added to lend a richer flavour and softer texture.

Sponge mixes are similar to that. However, you will use less eggs due to the fact that emulsifiers are added in the mix (which functions similarly to sugar / egg mixture).

I always refrain from using instant / mixes whenever possible due to the fact that it is artificial. Sponges made from mixes are more dense and don't taste as good.

Besides, what's more impressive than making your cakes from scratch? ;)

Edited by leo-chan

Ooo, thanks a bunch Leo-Chan for the recipe! Will post here once I try it out!
No probs, as Shadowprincess puts it, "sharing is caring" :lol:

Looking for chuka iidako recipe desperately (baby octopus tat can found in Sushi King etc)

Thank you.

Uh Chuka Lidako... A bit perplexing as you can't really buy baby octopus fresh in KL... Even if you could, cleaning it would be such a hassle (trust me, I know...)

You're better off buying the prepared ones from Jusco or Isetan Supermarket. ;)

Anyone have Chiffon cheese cake recipe (like those Japanese cheese cake)

Preferable without waterbath baking method.. Coz i have a very small oven :lol:

hmmm.... i wonder anyone hv any recipe that i can cook with a microwave oven?

coz i hv a microwave oven in showroom, tot of make lunch n dinner myself, can save money.....

Apple pie....the McD style..does anyone know how to make one?

Edited by berlyn

ABC Soup recipe please.

I once ate a nestum horlick/chocolate layer cake once and it was SOOOOO yummy... I think its the kind of cake without flour... would anyone have a recipe? :P plz plz share

ABC soup.

Basically the ingredients are potatoes, carrots, big onions, tomatoes. Can add tofu and mushroom if you like. Amount is based on what you like. For me, I like potatoes, so I put more. Pepper and salt to taste. You just have to cook everything till the potatoes and carrots become soft. If you like 'sweeter' taste, then can add in some ikan bilis also. Simmer for a longer time. About 30 mins will do. Remember to fry the ikan bilis before adding in or else it smells 'fishy'.

*hands up

requesting for Rojak recipe......

i once ate in subang jaya...the gravy is sooooooo thick,..its nice...anyone have thoose recipe?

Anyone have a good cream of tomato recipe?. I tried one in a cafe which is abit cheesy and i love it , somehow the can version just doesn't taste like that.

ABC soup.

Basically the ingredients are potatoes, carrots, big onions, tomatoes. Can add tofu and mushroom if you like. Amount is based on what you like. For me, I like potatoes, so I put more. Pepper and salt to taste. You just have to cook everything till the potatoes and carrots become soft. If you like 'sweeter' taste, then can add in some ikan bilis also. Simmer for a longer time. About 30 mins will do. Remember to fry the ikan bilis before adding in or else it smells 'fishy'.

What kind of meat should we put in the soup?

anyone know how to brew chinese herbal soup. E.g : black chicken with ginseng or etc...

I like to drink herbal soup very very much, if you know how to use D.O.M. to cook any other dish, I also dont mind. Pls. share any recipe, so long it's good for health & complexion, all are welcome.

Thanks!

errrm normally i buy from the shop tat sell chinese herbs. They have those ready packed form n everything is inside dy n only need to buy chicken.

Assam Boi and Kedondong juice recipe wanted

Does anyone have any NICE TASTING detox juice recipe ma?

i just buy a juicer.... he he but lots of d online recipe i see got funny things like spanish onions (??) or celery *yucks*

anyone has good bread recipes?