Sign in to follow this  
Daphsta

Modeling Agency Scams

oh yeah..someone actually contacted me to ask more bout TFS coz she was approached by them. Well, another soul saved from TFS I guess.

cool...well...looks like lotsa babes here have been approached by tfs. it's gud dat we dun see them hanging round ne more biggrin.gif

when dey 1st approached me, i was like whoa. coz dat time was a foreigner mar..bt after ta excitement went off...i was like thinking...hm...ta add book she used 2 scribble my hp num n ta piece of 'card' (it's jz a piece of paper) den i tot it might be a scam.

cool...well...looks like lotsa babes here have been approached by tfs. it's gud dat we dun see them hanging round ne more biggrin.gif

when dey 1st approached me, i was like whoa. coz dat time was a foreigner mar..bt after ta excitement went off...i was like thinking...hm...ta add book she used 2 scribble my hp num n ta piece of 'card' (it's jz a piece of paper) den i tot it might be a scam.

Yeah exactly.it happened to me before bout 2 yrs ago haha klcc sumore.pyramid also got. but no interest la.. ph34r.gif

erm actually those girls who approached u girls are juz normal talents like u all but was recruited by tfs juz to get all ur contacts for them, and so they dun hav any real namecards on them! ya know wut, they hav to approach aroun 30 contacts in a day.. unless u go to their office then u will get a real namecard lol.

erm actually those girls who approached u girls are juz normal talents like u all but was recruited by tfs juz to get all ur contacts for them, and so they dun hav any real namecards on them! ya know wut, they hav to approach aroun 30 contacts in a day.. unless u go to their office then u will get a real namecard lol.

perhaps they're running these MGM (member get member) sort of thing or maybe it's like a MLM (multi level marketing) too, they get the ppl who've purchased the products to further get more ppl/contacts to purchase their product+training n bla bla..

it might sounds like a scam to some ppl but well.. if they're running on this kinda recruitment/selling method they can easily get alotttttttt of ppl so tat could be a reason they dun have a job to offer to u tat soon, some did get a call for a job after all rite ? it's just another marketing stratergy.. ain't really a scam though

well tis is just my 2cents bout it blink.gif

well, nickster, it's still considered a scam cos the girls joined the program because they were led to believe that they were being 'recruited' as potential talents/models...

if the company told them upfront that it's a MGM/MLM program... it would've been a different story, don't you think?

hmmm.. im not really in a good position to comment further coz i din go thru the whole thing myself to understand it better, but well.. not tat bad at rite ? since they're selling proper products which u can eventually use it rather than getting some craps which is worth like 10% of wat u actually paid for..

anyway any girls/guys interested to be profiled ? i know a place where they would want ur profile biggrin.gif

I came across this webpage after a search on “TFS Creative” and “scam”. I did the search because my friend was approached by one of them. I have to say I am very impressed with how insightful and articulate the posts are. I referred the webpage to my friend and she has decided for now not to go for it (she was suspicious before this). Maybe one way to rationalise their scheme is that modeling does take some skill – it’s not just about standing around right? RM600 for make-up and classes? I guess only people who’ve seen the make-up and gone for the classes can tell whether that’s value for money? So after that, any work you get from them is just a bonus? Who else is going to spend time and for free teach you how to model?

They probably built in the RM2,000 fine to make it seem like the classes are valuable. What I mean is this ….

If they are only concerned to profit from the make-up, it’s to their benefit if you turn up for the first class, buy the make-up, and then you bugger off, since they’ve made their money (and you don’t take up space and maybe talk bad about them to new recruits). So in this sense, the RM2,000 fine works against them, because it encourages you to stay on.

However, this can be balanced compared if they don’t have the RM2,000 fine. In which case, you are likely to be more suspicious, because the only money talked about is for the make-up. There is no second amount of money (ie. the RM2,000 fine) to distract you from the make-up money. The money you make from work you will or will not get, is not part of the picture here.

To conclude, the RM2,000 fine is probably built in to make it seem like the classes are valuable (‘wow, worth RM2,000!!?’) and distract from the RM600. More so because (from the posts) they don’t seem to put any effort in making people actually pay the RM2,000 fine? Quite a lot of money to let go, if the classes really do “cost” that much.

Personally, if you’ve been conned (or think you have) I wouldn’t feel too bad about it. Unfortunately there are plenty of people who want to take our money and these things just happen sometimes. Sharing the information is really useful for others so that they can decide on their own though, thanks.

yalah,... i kena approached too in klcc but lucky they didnt call me. i suspect they are up to no good. i always see them approaching girls...

and there was once this girl approached me n my friend.. before she could finish the sentence, i said, "no need..." and walked off.. rude??

yalah,... i kena approached too in klcc but lucky they didnt call me. i suspect they are up to no good. i always see them approaching girls...

and there was once this girl approached me n my friend.. before she could finish the sentence, i said, "no need..." and walked off.. rude??

the girls who approaches you are just victims. i was one of the naive ones few years back.

the biggest culprit is the one sitting behind the desk, earning the $$.

I need to clarify some facts after checking again with my friend. She went to their office at Wisma Goldhill, and was clearly told that she didn't need to buy make-up from them, as long as she buys one of the two brands of make-up (maybe they're the sole importer of those brands?). She thinks that the scheme overall is genuine, and those brands of make-up are needed because they are heavy make-up for TV? Maybe they use MGM/MLM because it's just cheaper and more effective than newspaper ads to recruit models. They need a large pool of models because different types are needed for different work. And if they don't have work for your type, then they won't contact you.

PS In case anyone's wondering, this is not one of those cases where I say it's 'my friend' but it's actually me.

Hello everyone, im new here.... please allow me to voice up something, i'm one of the victim last year which scam by TFS before im a professional make-up artist by now. I was another naive one..... sad.gif

During my learning progress of the make-up skills... i found out that, those people that taught the make-up is not pros... they dun even know what is shimmer and what they teach is a bloody hell basic make-up skills which everyone who know basic make-up also can teach. Those really wanna learn, can easily sign-up for a personal make-up course which range around RM 300 to RM 500, may find any of make-up academy to sign up the course, more worth while.

There's 6 lesson to attend as if dun finish, u need to pay up RM 2000. But as some of u guys have already mentioned, my friends who didnt attend the whole thing also they never take any action. They force you to pay the lum sum money before the 2nd class but as u paid, the following class are wasting time.

They do call up for talents on jobs as they do call up some of my friends, but they are not professional in modelling industry. Those job given are most likely "side character", not the main character. Probably a small role in the scene and some normal roadshows girls. For girls who wanna to have a try in this industry.. go for some proper/legalize modelling company... as i know, they just interview or probably do some casting but not calling to buy cosmestic or blah blah blah...

im a make-up artist for quite somewhile... i do go make-up for shows, TV, concerts... i need to clarify that heavy make-up doesn't really use for all TV shooting, it depends on the theme they want....

if they got any commercial job for the models, there's always professional make-up artist there for them, and as i know, some of the agency they do train their models on basic make-up... (no need to buy cosmetic from the agency). So why so worried on the make-up part???

oh ya, another issue that make me so frusfrated is that the so call three brand that they mentioned... bobbi brown larrr... blah blah blah... mad.gif i remember that i choose bobbi brown and all the while i thought they give me those cosmetic is bobbi brown. After im a certified make-up artist and getting more and more familiar about the cosmetic product.... those cosmetic they gave is a brand named "SHADES" (i've check it out with friends which i attended together last time, we all got all the same cosmetic), there's no such things as choice of choosing the brands. It just make-it sounds good that giving people choice of choosing brads. After that, only get to know from one of my friend, those cosmestic are brandless. MY GOD.... really go crazy when i knew it. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

thus.... as summarize, BE WISE!!!!!!!!!!!!! gd luck. smile.gif

Wow...I like where this thread is goin. Glad that I started this to gain attention and awareness of such fraudulent agencies. I actually had a few ppl approaching me through MSN to gain more insight about this topic. Though I have never attended their interviews and classes, it is a scam if any modeling agency ask you to cough up with any upfront fees before they can even offer you a job. A word of advice, always do your homework ie: Google! It's your best friend.

I was "spotted" by someone in TFS when I was 18. Got called up to their office and that woman behind the desk was horribly snooty and arrogant. Told me about paying for classes and stuff. I walked out.

I've been freelancing for TV commercials for 2 years now (no, I'm not a talent, I help produce) and I deal with talent and casting agencies often. There should never be any signing up fee, and they would not make you go for classes.

You go in to their office. They take pictures of you, get you on tape. And then they call you up when there are jobs. It's really simple.

They don't make you pay for anything.

We always have a makeup artist on set. So it honestly doesn't matter whether our talents are able to do up their own faces or not.

There should never be any signing up fee, and they would not make you go for classes.

You go in to their office. They take pictures of you, get you on tape. And then they call you up when there are jobs. It's really simple.

They don't make you pay for anything.

We always have a makeup artist on set. So it honestly doesn't matter whether our talents are able to do up their own faces or not.

Couldn't agree more...

I remembered….it was in 2003, while I was shopping in KLCC, 1 Malay girl “stalking” me and asking me and my best friend to leave my name and my phone number if I’m interested to be a model. So the next day, I’ve received a call from ‘the agency’ for an appointment. I couldn’t recall the name of the agency & their office address but I sure still remember how to get there.

First they interview me, and then they asked me sign ‘the contract’ and so on…..

The next thing I know I have to buy a makeup set which cost me from RM300-800. Stupidly, I choose the set which cost about RM600 (Day & Night Makeup). My best friend choose the RM300 makeup set (Day makeup)

They said it’s gonna be Bobbi Brown but when we received it it’s so not Bobbi….it’s called “SHADES” which I’m sure it’s not the best makeup on the market. On the time, I didn’t think it as such a big deal cause I went for the fun of it and I had a reasons. Oh ya, I also went to Hotel Istana for the makeup course….

I believe some of you girls out there went through what I went through….but I didn’t complete classes so I don’t know what happen next. This is my story….

Well, I am not certain if what happened to me and a friend (who so happen to be a MYB member as well, but it is up to her if she wants to reveal herself, hehe) was a scam or not, but we were quite sure that it was, and we were almost conned.

Few days ago a lady who claimed that she was from ELITE Model agency called me for an "interview", and she asked me to give some referals of any frens who has potential, or who might be interested. Later, she asked if I have a digicam with me, and i told her no. I found it funny that she did not ask much about myself, other than "Do you have a good body?" and "Are you open-minded?", and she did not want to give me her contacts (she was calling frm a private number). She told me she will call me back after calling my friend.

I found out from my friend today that this woman from "ELITE Model" asked her to immediately send in 2 NUDE pics of herself, and that it was urgent. This woman even gave her step by step guides on how to take the pics. Naturally i was shocked to learn about it, although I already had my doubts about this woman. It just never occured to me that she would be asking for nude photos because she did not ask them from me (I figured it was bcause I told her I did not have a digicam with me). I was really pissed off, and I felt soooo guilty for getting my friend into this (sorry again babe), and I really hope that this woman will call me back so that I can play along, and at least try to get her contacts and report her (and send her my "resume" with a picture of a PIG!".

I do not believe that she is from ELITE Models, a very well-recognised agency. I am quite certain that a professional agency will NEVER ask for nude pictures, and I am thankful that neither me nor my friend got conned. I wonder though, how many young naive girls have been tricked into giving her their nude pictures. I mean, MAYBE this woman IS from some kinda modelling agency, but what kind? I am not a model, and I may not know much about the modelling scene, but I am quite sure that a proper agency will never ask for nude pictures.

So, me and my friend, we dont know for sure if this was a scam. IF this woman IS from ELITE Model (which i really really doubt it) then sorry, my bad. But if we are not wrong about her, i hope she gets caught soon before more girls fall prey to her.

Sounds like a con to me because if I'm not mistaken Elite Models changed to Looque International already smile.gif

it's ok serra,not ur fault.

well,as serra has said tht laydee calls on d phone.she does speak like a foreigner.haha..think i kinda annoy her too coz i ask lotsa Qs..cant b too sure.

i asked her how did she get my number n she said it's randomly picked.i was thinking 2 myself tht i didnt submit my name or details 2 any modelling agencies so how could she get my number?btw,d number tht she used 2 call me was a private number.n she told me tht her office is situated in s'pore.i do hv frens who r studying in s'pore n when they call,it's written unknown numbers.so i suspected her

then she asked me 2 take pics of myself.i asked close up or full body?she replied tht she would guide me step by step but 1st i'm supposed 2 b alone in my room.i said my sis was in d room but it's ok.tht so called agent insisted tht i muz b alone in d room.but hiow can i take a full body pic by myself?anyways,i lied n said,ok i'm all alone rite now.she asked me 2 undress n take a pic of me in my bra but dun hv 2 take my face pic.ok,tis is totally outrageous coz i've ad told her b4 tht i'm not comfortable of d idea of posing in inner wear.she insisted tht i take d pics immediately.so i told her tht i need 2 go out as i'm gonna hv dinner wif frens[myb peeps too]

at d same time,i was chatting wif digicrox on msn.i told him, a lil bit of d stuff tht d laydee had said.but of course i didnt give d laydee my pics.i insisted tht i need 2 go out immediately as my fren was ad waiting 4 me.she then told me tht her co's policy.they onli call d talent once but i said uh huh,but i really gotta go.thanx 4 calling.she then said tht she would call at bout 10 or 11pm.but she didnt.

when in mamak,digicrox taught me wat 2 say 2 her.n wat i'm supposed 2 do if she calls again.well,tht laydee didnt call me up as she had promised.but i was not disappointed as she said her co's policy is calling up a gurl once.

then d next day i got a call from her again.tis time,again she asked me 2 undress n take a pic of me wif bra.she asked me whether i had taken tht pic 2 which i said ya.actually i didnt.she then directed me 2 take a pics of me wif d same position but now without bra.i kinda screamed on d phone.2 me,tht's totally outta d Q.so i told her tht my parents dun like d idea of me giving my nude pics 2 strangers though d pics r without my face.[tht's wat digicrox teaches me 2 say].she then proceeded tht she needed 2 convince me tht it's ok 2 take tis kinda pics as models need 2 b confident of themselves.2 tht i replied tht i dun hv a nice body figure n it's not d kinda body figure tht she wants[again tis is wat digicrox teaches me 2 say].she said tht it's ok coz she juz need d pics 2 decide whether i can manage 2 get an audition which will b held in kl in 2 weeks time.ok,she told me tht it was 3weeks' time d nite b4.n i'm not tht 4getful.

she then assured me tht her office is legal bla bla bla.she said tht they hv official webpage n email add.she gonna gimme tht after i sent my pics.actually i was waiting 4 her 2 gimme d add so tht i could check d genuineness of tht co.she gave lotsa excuses tht she would gimme it 2 me later.i was kinda annoyed at tht time.i told her tht some of my frens r part time models n they r talent scouted face 2 face by agents.i asked d laydee tht hwo would she knoe tht i'm d kinda gurl tht she wanted n she said it's ok 2 b a lil scared coz of infamiliarity in tis field..i'm still a raw talent[yaya..but i'm not stoopid].

when she knew tht i refused 2 take d pics,she asked me 4 my frens contacts n she wanna open-minded gurls' numbers.me didnt give her any as i knew tht my frens wont take nude pics n send it 2 strangers.'ELITE' may b famous but it's not guaranteed tht d agent is from tis co.moreover,blurred ko ko has mentioned tht ELITE has been changed 2 Looque International.hope no gurls will b scammed.oh ya,tht laydee says tht she'll call me in future 2 get gurl's number.2 which i think it's kinda weird coz i'm not their co's talent scout so it's not my duty 2 help her.i'm not obligated 2 do so.plus,if there is really an audition,i'm sure my frens will knoe bout tht as they r in modelling industry.a nice try though..haha..i may b blur but not tht stoopid

*serra,again u dun hv 2 apologise n nop...u've not given me any probs.it's not ur fault.u dunno tht d laydee is so lame.but luckily both of us r not conned by her.*

wow, it happened to you? luckily you guys werent conned. i think it was just a prank call. *hugs*

Kylie I am still waiting for her to call me back man. N yea I checked up on ELITE and sure enough, they did change their name to Looque (thanks for the heads up Blurred). Unfortunately she never did call me back. Prob because there is nothing else she can get from me (since I dun have a camera). I was thinking that if i can manage to get at least one of her contacts, can report her to Looque and have them investigate this and take actions, cos this has got everything to do with their image, altho already changed name.

I hope nobody else get trick by this biatch.

o.O luckily nothing happened to you serra and kylie!

Well, some years back ago, I got a fren who did told me where he know of some modelling agency in KLP. Was told that if you want to become model, you can go for the interview at their office. Some photo will be taken, even nude ones as well. Not sure if this is real. Is this true?