18 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about accents?

• 1. They are a turn on for the opposite sex
    • 2. They look fake if their mother tongue is not that language
    • 3. They are ok as long they dont over do it
    • 4. They are cool if they sounded natural
    • 5. They made the best chat up line to get the opposite sex attention

Wuddaya think?

forgive me.. but i dun really understand what u want with this thread.... what accents? malaysian accent? or malaysians putting on fake american/britsh accents?

any accents be it foreign or uniquely local.

i dislike malaysian using american accent.....why must we imitate others? and i think the english we speak is the easiest to understand...

Well, if english accent i would say it's ok as long as if you dont overdo it....and i hate those who try hard to speak with accent...

i like people with natural accents, meaning they don't put on the accent. HOWEVER i don't quite like the malaysian accent with all the las and grammatical errors!!!! haha, otherwise, our accent is pretty cute tongue.gif

i dislike malaysian using american accent.....why must we imitate others? and i think the english we speak is the easiest to understand...

agree!

in particular radio dj's and tv hosts bc they're in the public arena and dont realise how foolish and unnatural they sound..

otherwise accents are ok..people cant help the way they speak naturally..i love english accents! biggrin.gif very attractive!

I believe we have a unique accent. I have friends from oversea who tries to immitate but they just don't get the flow of how Malaysians put melodical notes behind each sentence (like "lah"). Or how we can actually understand each other without them using the right word (like how Malaysians order chicken lice and not chicken rice).

The best is to be yourself. Unless you're convincingly good enough, faking an accent will really not get you more respect.

But on the other hand...it's important to try to speak the correct form of the language esp. to a foreign visitor. Improve your grammar, use more vocab, use correct tenses...blah blah blah... tongue.gif

.....i think accents are okay as long as u dun overdo it..like you're trying to impress people..

hmm.me can still take it but some ppl hv overdone it..they sound a lil bit ridiculous

depends la who is talking to who

i will naturally speak with an aussie accent if i'm talking to some aussie... other than that, i willl talk our super nice malaysian accent tongue.gif

not faking it... but iit just comes naturally...

but if i speak american or british accent... u can tell i'm faking... ahahha

aussie accent? too deep for me to understand...

sweedish also..

i tried to speak american accent before..didnt work.. dry.gif

aussie accent? too deep for me to understand...

sweedish also..

i tried to speak american accent before..didnt work.. dry.gif

me tried american accent b4..ppl say i 'lan si' pulak..so i've stopped

i think there were elements of Brit accent in my speech whenever i talk to a Brit, it just came out naturally..as for American..yes i dig american accent sooo much! there were few incident when Americans who spoke to me thought i was an American born Chinese..but then, when i told em i was malaysian, they almost had their eye balls pop out...wahahahah..but whenever i mingle back with malaysian frens i use back manglish n malay..is automatic.

but im still learning to master those accents....not a pro yet.

I guess I stayed too long in HK liao....i'm not faking it but my cantonese accent is now naturally hongkie accent... innocent.gif no choice for me as ppl here wun understand my msia accent so i gotta tok like a local hongkie.... tongue.gif

but, i still speaks and read Bahasa Msia fluently which makes me so proud of myself. hee..hee coz i can read malay sign board in HK while others dun. whahahaha.....

I guess I stayed too long liao in HK....i'm not faking it but my cantonese accent is just like hongkie... innocent.gif no choice for me as ppl here wun understand my msia accent so i gotta tok like a local hongkie.... tongue.gif

thats cool..all u need to do is just assimilate.

I think that it's cool to have accents, regardless of foreign accents or Malaysian accents. I can identify students from just their accents in university. Malaysians and Singaporeans speak differently, though some of my friends think that they are the same.

What pisses me off is someone who's condemning those who have studied or stayed in foreign countries for years who are able to speak non-Malaysian accent English. I had a friend who think that I am trying to ACT cool coz my English has weak Malaysian accent. The thing is, I am trying to learn proper English that everyone can understand, not just Malaysian English for Malaysians..

i got kelantanese accents, does that count? tongue.gif

according to astro, we assimilitae and yes assimilation is pretty normal especially when you have been in living within that particular group...of course, you must have that skill to do so, not everyone can get it done....

this is also known as code switching....the obvious example is this.....you speak differently to different people...you swicth to manglish when u speak to your frens (who speak manglish), then when u meet your boss, you switch again to standard english...with foreigners, you speak with their accent..when u speak to a child, you use very simple english....just like following one to sing a song....

however, not many people can do this...code switching....if u can do it perfectly, then you are good...

We Are The Borg.

Resistance Is Futile.

Your biological and technological capabilites will be added to the Collective.

Prepare to be Assimilated.

Just couldn't help it.