Sign in to follow this  
berlyn

10 tips to boost metablism

1. Build lean body mass. As mentioned above, metabolism slows as we age – by as much as two percent a year! But there is something you can do to counterbalance nature. “Muscle is the single most important predictor or how well you metabolize your food, how well you burn calories and burn body fat,” insists Shari Lieberman, author of Dare to Lose. Strength training with dumbbells or resistance bands at least twice a week is essential to boosting your metabolism. Repeat – essential. And here’s the really good news: Your metabolism stays pumped for many hours after you finish your workout.

2. Get moving. You know the drill, but here’s a reminder. At least 30 to 60 minutes of walking, jogging, cycling, swimming or some other form of aerobic exercise a minimum of three times a week is the other half of the exercise equation. “People don’t like to hear it but you have got to exercise,” says Lieberman.

3. Eat. It may sound crazy to those trying to lose weight by severely restricting their daily caloric intake, but the problem with this old school of thought, explains Michigan dietician Julie Beyer, is that it actually slows metabolism. “Every cell of the body is like a flashlight bulb,” she explains. “When our bodies don’t get enough food, or fuel, every cell burns less brightly.” Recent studies show that eating smaller meals every three to four hours aids metabolism and weight loss.

4. Ditch the sugar. Of course, you still have to make good choices about what you eat. “When you eat sugar you throw your metabolic switch into fat storage mode,” says Lieberman, who suggests a predominately low glycemic index diet, meaning foods that, unlike sugars, are broken down gradually to help maintain an even blood-sugar level.

5. Don’t skip breakfast. It’s a fact that people who eat a healthy breakfast are skinnier than people who don’t. And try to think outside the box. A breakfast bowl of vegetables and brown rice is a great way to kick-start your metabolism for the day.

6. Include hot foods. If Mexican and Thai are favorites, you’re in luck. “Spicy food that has hot peppers in it appears to boost metabolism,” Lieberman says.

7. Drink green tea. “There are unhealthy things that can boost your metabolism, like a really strong cup of coffee, or nicotine, but I would never say go have a cigarette!” says Michelle Streif, a personal trainer in Nebraska. Nor overdo it on caffeine, which also has undesirable side effects. Instead, go for green tea, says Lieberman, which is known to stimulate metabolism longer and more effectively than coffee.

8. Don’t forget H2O. Staying well hydrated is essential to flushing the body of toxic byproducts that are released when fat is burned. Cold water may also give your metabolism at least a small boost because energy is required to heat the body.

9. Avoid stress. At all costs. “Stress can actually cause weight gain, particularly around the tummy,” says Lieberman. Why? Because physical and emotional stress activates the release of cortisol, a steroid that slows metabolism.

10. Sleep. Research shows that people who don’t sleep for seven to eight hours a night are more prone to weight gain. Additionally, we now know that lean muscle is regenerated in the final couple of hours of sleep each night, says Beyer. Which takes you right back to tip number one!

aiya....i think i posted into the wrong place....should be under the health or body column...hehe

kicking.gif i shud exercise more!! but i will juz end up like sleeping.gif dat!! psshh..i also need 2 eat breakfast lar! i neva eat breakfast!! i wake up @ 7 4 skul, but dats far too early so i wun eat nething at dat time! but in d weekends, i wake up @ like 11 so by d time i wake up, is d time 4 lunch!! hehe

Why ah? where u stay?

i stay in neuchatel, swiss ... very peaceful here, coz it's not a big city... and most shops clse by 6.30 every working day, close whole day on sundays, close at 4 on saturdays, mondays open only at 1.30, so relaxing... ish... and no shopping malls here, only some small shops and boutiques, restaurants, pubs, along the streets here, basically it's just like that

kicking.gif i shud exercise more!! but i will juz end up like sleeping.gif dat!! psshh..i also need 2 eat breakfast lar! i neva eat breakfast!! i wake up @ 7 4 skul, but dats far too early so i wun eat nething at dat time! but in d weekends, i wake up @ like 11 so by d time i wake up, is d time 4 lunch!! hehe

hmm at least better than me, i wake up for class in the morning, straight for lunch and dinner, and supper ... sad.gif but if my class starts at 2, i'll skip lunch as well and eat dinner straight away and maybe some biscuits between classes. For weekends, usually i'll wake up just in time 4 dinner.. crybaby.gif

hmm at least better than me, i wake up for class in the morning, straight for lunch and dinner, and supper ... sad.gif but if my class starts at 2, i'll skip lunch as well and eat dinner straight away and maybe some biscuits between classes. For weekends, usually i'll wake up just in time 4 dinner.. crybaby.gif

reali?! ar...

I dont have a specific time to have my food. If i've to work then i'll probably not eat breakfast, depends if i'm hungry. EAt at my work place at about 4. Sometimes if i have early lesson then no food at all till i finished in the afternoon. SOmetimes i'm lazy to cook, n there was no ready meal, then i'll eat like about 6ish. SOmetimes bc online, will eat when i finished about 6ish. Miss home, Cat. Has daddy cooks for me...

me not reali have a specific time neitha! wel, yes 4 dinner, i always eat it at 5pm. den anytime other dan dat, esp in d evening, i juz eat snacks 4 d whole nite!! juz c8nt force myself 2 stop eating em!! 1 day im gonna go kaboom lar... blowup.gif

oppppsss..so diff 2 avoid sweet stuff.....got a sweettooth here esp when now mid autumn fest wif all ta mooncakes.....OMG pinch.gif

jenzi: yayaya! same kind of tooth here..keke! once start to eat sure get more :s i heard tat one quarter of those standard size of mooncake is like a bowl of rice de calori le ye..!!

having a constant diet is vital for regulating metabolic rates.i suppose most of u noe tht the first two hours within waking up is important for breakfast.yr body *wakes up* with food and besides,the advantage is tht if u eat a hearty,wholesome breakfast,u can skip lunch!thus, relieving the guilt some ppl have after indulging in a good breakfast.but of course,avoid the nasi lemak and unhealthy stuff...most ppl i noe absolutely HATE oats.my mum started my siblings and i on oats by adding a spoon of condensed milk..sweet and yummy.or have some eggs,poached,boiled,etc.have a variety in breakfast.better still,eat it wit a teman or two smile.gif

another success story is to elevate yr fibre intake.apart from the regualr weight-losing fact,yr also flushing out toxins from yr body.however i would like to strongly advise all from taking laxative-inducing agents.diahorrea and dehydration is the last thing u'd want to go thru,believe me.all u will get is lethargy and a sore butthole,tht is if u don't pass out from dehydration already,excuse my vulgarity.

last but not least is definitely exercise.once,i offered my friend a seat but she declined,insisting tht standing boosts her metabolic rate and stamina.i really do not know how far does that go but if you really have no time and are too lazy to exercise,slip in such habits in yr daily routine.those overseas will benefit from the walking about but those of us in Msia...well...find a way!get some walking buddies who will urge one another.

~cheers,to boosting metabolisme and leading the healthy,glowing lifestyle!

IF i follow this, how many kg i can loose ler?

I want cut 10 kg.....at least...im 60 but my X say im very fat.....

IF i follow this, how many kg i can loose ler?

I want cut 10 kg.....at least...im 60 but my X say im very fat.....

hopefully, ur dieting becoz u want to loose weight and not becoz wat ur ex says.. If it's d latter, y u care abt wat ur ex's says?

Yes, by increasing ur metabolism, u would theoretically loose some weight in d process

i want to slim ow... i got prob on my hips and buttock.... bigg... bbig,.. could this method help wooo~~

Yeah, womens body is like a pear shape, where d fat is at d buttock and thigh and for mean it's apple shape where their fat is at d stomach. If u can increase ur metabolism with this or exercise to burn up ur extra calories, yes u will loose that fat.

Yeah, womens body is like a pear shape, where d fat is at d buttock and thigh and for mean it's apple shape where their fat is at d stomach. If u can increase ur metabolism with this or exercise to burn up ur extra calories, yes u will loose that fat.

Yeahh.. i agreed with u guys/gals!

Muscle = Metabolisme

Take good protein and leucine to keep your muscle while u r dieting. If not you'll be trapped under Y0-Yo diet/weight loss problem.

Thats my 1 cent tips.

Edited by consultant