Sign in to follow this  
sablejet

Advice on healthy cooking oil

Hi,

Starting to be more health conscious lately. Was told that my trusty knife brand isn't that healthy for the heart, and that I should switch to Mazola. Anyone heard of this brand? Used it? is it really good? I found it quite expensive..

Thanks!

Haha great stuff :)

Wonder if there are any differences between the brands. I did some research on Mazola, and it seems they are the best selling oil around the world. Endorsed by American Heart Foundation and Singapore Heart Foundation. Maybe that's why it's so expensive.

knife and mazola oils are different.. knife oil is peanut oil + canola oil whereas mazola is corn oil.. both give different properties.. and Naturel is either canola oil or sunflower oil or a blend of both.. also got different properties..

Im using olive oil for my cooking.. :)

[quote name='NeoSquall' date='23 January 2010 - 12:33 AM' timestamp='1264178038' post='578187']
knife and mazola oils are different.. knife oil is peanut oil + canola oil whereas mazola is corn oil.. both give different properties.. and Naturel is either canola oil or sunflower oil or a blend of both.. also got different properties..

Im using olive oil for my cooking.. :)
[/quote]

olive is good, but i cant stand the strong odour, I heard it good for joint and heart.

So far have been using Naturel to cook for children, touched by the radio ad :wub:

what type you use for cooking? I find those light olive oils have no smell.. well there is abit if you sniff it while it is heating up.. keep those extra virgin ones for salad dressings..

extra virgin is not meant to be used for cooking.. its for salad dressing! haha..

use it for salads.. do some vinaigrette with your remaining extra virgin olive oils.. its nice :)

[quote name='NeoSquall' date='02 February 2010 - 08:09 PM' timestamp='1265112549' post='578579']
extra virgin is not meant to be used for cooking.. its for salad dressing! haha..

use it for salads.. do some vinaigrette with your remaining extra virgin olive oils.. its nice :)
[/quote]

haha my hubby put it in the basket then i used it to cook :wub:

olive oil will be better choice but not recommended for high heat because will lost all the nutrient.
I read grapeseed oil is better for cooking. I have both :P

Actually I read from a book that we shud only use olive oil and canola oil. The rest of the oil are quite high in saturated fats