Sign in to follow this  
sexymum

Why everyone hate mlm?

QUOTE (sofea @ Aug 20 2009, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
MLM is the short form of "multi level marketing". It's where distributors (aka members) earn commission when customers purchase products of the company using the membership of one of the members of their organisations A little bit challenging to explain in short but it is termed multi level, because the commission can be earned a couple of levels down (meaning they can earn commission from even the purchases done by their indirect downlines)

owh now i know.... thanx sofea...

The person who came out with the idea of MLM is brilliant. But the problem lies in the fact that those members that joined and wanted to push to achieve target and earn money would have spoiled the original idea.

To me, I don't like MLM... Reasons:

Intruders: I treasure my time after work with my family. MLMs intrude my private time with them...

Pushy: Over persuade to get one to buy the product. I don't like to repeat my decision more than twice, and that makes me flare...

Join as Member: Only this way will one get discounts.
Quality of product: Doubtful.

Knowledge: I know more than them most of the time... They are talking near nonsense to nonsense and do not know what they are talking about. They claimed that their upper lines are -- Doctors.. Lawyers... Some knowledge are true, but over blown nevertheless. (Health products are a good example)

Practicality of product: It's like selling an aircraft turbine engine to a Kancil driver, persuading them to change their car drive system to make it more _______ (fill in the blank for their products)

True that one shd work hard for money as per the traditional way but what if 1 day your company downsizes, goes bankrupt or stops employing you? Or one day when you fall sick and are no longer able to work..then where will your income come from? the government? friends?

Not all mlm companies are good but not all are bad either, the way you see it depends solely on your mindset and perception. For example, 10 yrs ago who would pay RM 10 for a cup of coffee at starbucks? Nowadays a cup of coffee for RM10 is deemed as normal and no one blinks an eye.

I am not part of any mlm but I doesnt mean i'll never join. Keeping an open mind is what separates the 5% from the 95%. One day I hope I can be in the 5%.

Then again the above is solely MY opinion and not meant to diss anyone. smile.gif

Hah...MLM...have been surrounded by those all my (17 years) life.

My mom used to sell Nu Skin,
My friend dreams of getting the Diamon seat in Amway and is dreaming on studying nutrition to promote that,
My counsin just bought a whole bag full of Eumora moor bars and it's like dumped in my house's living room.

I don't think all MLM's are bad, nor are they all good like many here have said. And the products of some are actually quite good, high quality and effective. But the problem lies with the people who use the wrong methods to promote them *Shame on you! You just soiled the whole MLM reputation!*

For example, Nu Skin is quite good *never used Amway but I heard quite a few positive responses*...Eumora...that'll be a whole new topic. biggrin.gif The products are good. But my friend who's dreaming of working for Amway all her life to achieve the "Diamond" seat just tries to promote Amway every time she gets! And my friend and I roll our eyes just because she suddenly promotes Amway out of the blue during our conversation about History and the Olympics.

From every talk I've been to *with my mom* they focus more on "come on! Let's get more people to join! And if they join, they gain, you gain, we all gain!" Yaaaay happy family. And they go on giving amazing testimonies on how even school dropouts can earn 5 figures every month because he/she has connections and can talk. Then what happens? Apparently this has inspired many alright, and has gained a lot of attention. But it has also made a whole lot out there desperate to be that "school dropout turned millionaire" Well just because we all want to be rich. And from the way they're convincing us, it's the easy wa to be rich.

How hard can it be? Just call up a few friends for lunch, chat, and when you find the opportunity just promote!

And they aaaaall have tests to prove it's better than any product out there.

So just my dua sens, MLM is great, some products are great. But the way they try to drag "minions" to do they're job just soiled the whole reputation.

The whole reason why I'll never participate in MLM's. If you can sell everything off? Good, you gain. You can't? not only do you experience loss, but you have products that take up space! *stares at bag of Eumora bars*

I'm quite immature in thinking. So forgive me if I have said anything wrong biggrin.gif I still consider myself a kid biggrin.gif

hi...

juz like to add some thoughts.... MLM is a definitely convenient way of doing business... u can take ur time to do it... no one the tell u wat u shud do nor not to. I agree dat smtimes the agents tend to b pushy bcos of the target. not to mention, the products can be pretty pricey. well.... some ppl have the flare to do bisnes... most ppl don't - i'm one of those. so i rather do wat's beneficial... get the discounted pricing... buy wenever i nid them... if a few frens can tag along - a bonus for me! :D

to conclude... be a smart consumer!

cheers,
marie.

how many mlm can sustain moer than 5 years,

there is a report show that there are 10,000 mlm company in malaysia but most of them cant last for 3 years:(

how sad.

I agree most of the mlm product are overprice

i don't like MLM because my friends who joined MLM no longer treat me as a friend but see me as a potential downline / customer. If I need something, I will look for the product myself, if friends want to recommend me, once is enough, no need to repeat and repeat and repeat.

A long comment on this MLM topic. Everybody share their different feeling and experiences on this. Basically what they had experience it . some good some bad..
Too bad Msia had flooded with a lots of MLM company booming everywhere...
One of my friend who doing her Doctorate in UM thesis about the MLM in Msia.
MLM is one of the marketing strategy how the products reach the consumer hand and how the commission was distributed among the ppl involved in this distribution channel! like traditional distribution chanel fm manufacturing.. transported.. big middle man,, small.. middle man.,.. advertisement cost by superstar end to the shop owner.. and we buy fm shop . we never question the price of this products worth with what we buy or not?

Just to some of my friend finding.. MLM is one channel of Marketing strategy and theory. but People who manipulated it to their own benefit.. and one thing they use the weakness of human physcology .... want to earn fast money to make their way out... now a days the web is so advance.. always.. Check out their websites...
the manufacturer back ground.. and their products qualities... ..

a lots of ppl always thing about money... first !!!push the products they want to sale n not what the customer or their friend want.. we have to alway start with R,F,L,L,P,U only M

20 years ago.. Insurance industry also same problem.. when talk about insurance agent.. everybody run away....no regulation to control.. on this industry a lots of fault case. now the insurance industry are more.. professional... and more accepted by a lots of people.. through a series of educational.. knowledge transfer...
have every of us think one day when MLM whc actually almost same as insurance using same marketing strategy ,, different thing is only the products. will come to
one stage.. heading to more professional..who ever want to do MLM have to go for course or pass exam... ha..ha...just my point of view..

Before joining any MLM company, do detailed research on company background, products info (including price, quality and range) and their business model. Search through internet (such as forum) on the comments / feedback from the users / customers. You will find a lot of information which the distributors might not tell you. Pay attention on investment needed whether monthly or yearly. How much inventory that you need to purchase / keep? ... and many more

More research you did, better decision you will make. Analyse yourself whether this business could really help you reach your goals.

I agree that some distributors marketing strategies are making people frustrating and breaking the relationship. Be carefull.

Yes, many people make $ by doing MLM. But as a smart consumer I won't want to buy from any MLM reason being:

1. The products are overpriced (that is why many people make $ from it, you admit it or not, it is a pyramid structure).

2. People in there are not regulated by any Ethics Body.

Just imagine when they start selling supplements through Word of Mouth: A friend who promotes a supplement to you most probably has just picked up some jargons or terms from his upline/brouchures then he starts diagnosing and talking like an expert/doctor/pharmacist (who study so many years to gain their knowledge). This person might even share with you some testimonials/endorsements/misinterpretations that you will never sure if the informations are real. Are you sure that you want to spend so much $ to buy a supplement from a non-medical person instead of a pharmacist/doctor? Whatever product sold in MLM is available in most of our pharmacies probably with a different name and cheaper price, why take the risk? I am not saying that your MLM friend lies to you, but he might be bias, exaggerate things, and maybe he is mislead by someone/some wrong information!

You might be interested to read the article 'What's Wrong with Multi-Level Marketing'. [url="http://www.vandruff.com/mlm.html"]http://www.vandruff.com/mlm.html[/url]

Hello
1. When you first get into your network marketing home based business, write out your plans and goals! I'm sure you've heard it said many times before..."Most people never plan to fail, they simply fail to plan". Take the time to write out your plans and goals. Be realistic, but be tough on yourself. Push yourself. One of my favorite quotes is "What your mind can conceive, it can achieve".

2. Get started immediately. Don't wait for everything to be perfect before you start. That will never happen. Jump in and get started.

3. Treat your mlm/network marketing business as a serious, full-time business, and it will quickly become one.

4. Don't focus your attention on trying to sponsor the "big hitter" who tells you that they are going to bring in 120 people. Sure, it would be nice, but don't get caught up in the hype and emotion. It takes a team effort.

5. Know that rejection will happen. Not everyone is going to want what you have. There are some people that you could put a huge pile of Gold in their front yard, and they would still walk right on by it. Or, they simply will not believe it's Gold. Don't get discouraged. There are literally MILLIONS of people wanting what you have.

[b][color="#ff8c00"]I m alright with the MLM products, but depends on the attitude of the distributor lo..sometimes they r may be a bit 'over concern' [/color][/b]:P

[quote name='peach27' date='23 May 2010 - 04:26 PM' timestamp='1274603207' post='583695']
[b][color="#ff8c00"]I m alright with the MLM products, but depends on the attitude of the distributor lo..sometimes they r may be a bit 'over concern' [/color][/b]:P
[/quote]

yeah, i agree...

it has nothing wrong with the products but the distributors... guess many ppl out there hate MLM because of the distributors ... i once, had the feeling of dislike too but after i try certain products and with good, reasonable services, i now ok with direct selling products...

Actually, MLM is almost the same like the sales person in the shopping centre. when they sell something, they will get comission.

Hi all, Wow so many believe and perception on MLM!

Well, for me I don't like MLM because you need to be committed to take some time to go to their motivational talks and product knowledge talks, :C and influence a new person to be an active member!

Like last year my cousin took me to Amway talk, I have go to 3 talks, and to me the talk is motivational and good, but I hate it for the fact that I must rush there after my working hour. i know me must sacrifice our time and energy in order to gain success, but that's not the way I like to give my time. But I do love their products! To me it is a little pricey compared to the over the counter products, but hey the high class OTC product pun is expensive! So I buy them gradually hehe one product per month to be exact.

I am glad that my cousin did not push me to become a member, but just let me decide after taking me to the talks. because I don't want to do the business and become all the Diamond and whatnot, i just want to use it for myself! Right now in love with the Artistry skincare product for my skin, really soft smelling and most importantly, fits my skin! Huhu

True, you can gain success if you find enough people to be your downline and reach the target sales and all, my cousin is the perfect example, but I don't like to have to meet people up and have to influence them to be a member and do sale and ask them to find other people that are also interested to also be a member and do sale (and the action continues...), so I just be passive and use the products huhu only if someone is interested and ask me, i can share :D sharing is caring huhu

It depends on each and everyone. For those who success through MLM, of course they'll appreciate MLM while compare to those who didn't try it.

It varies from each and everyone's thinking.

My opinion, you work hard enough, you gain the benefits if you're willing to go for it. Regardless of MLM or other things you do.

it is the wrong approach of the MLM distributors that pissing ppl off, not the company n the products

Usually these distributors are in-experience lots, plus wrong guildance from the uplines, it comes down to one word 'Selfish'. Many distributors are pressured direct or in-directly by the uplines.

The professional approach is let customers know why they need the product and benefited from it, this is the same with any sales job in showroom or malls.

A satisfied and happy customer would naturally share something good to ppl, the 'Word of mouth' is the fundamental of MLM, to make money in MLM one has to back to basic.

Doing MLM business is an art of building networks, doing it correctly would make big money and retire young, enjoy the extra ordinary freedom which working class can never imagine.... Edited by enjoylife

1) pushy
People don like pushy. They don give a chance for the customer to think. This is so not respect.

2) Over price
Their basic price is very low. but they put very high. that's y the company can give package like car, vacation for their distributor.

3) stubborn
Never accept others' suggestion. For example, they selling health product but never show a good example, have bad health habit, never exercise and sleep well, when give advice to them, they will just ignore you.

4) Thick skin

You better don say NOT INTEREST, you should say NO, I REJECT. say it firmly. or they will keep coming. don't give hope to them.