Sign in to follow this  
chemistry

Singapore!!

hey babes,

im planning a short trip to singapore, but im stuck & confused (first-timer).

im planning to leave from jb to singapore & travel by using buses & mrt.

so, is there any direct bus from jb to woodland mrt or any mrt stations?
or is there any pick up from custom to any bus station or mrt?
how do i get access to singapore?
i want to get access from jb directly mrt, so the mrt will bring me around. im worried that i will be lost/scared if im stuck at the custom there.

IF i choose to drive in, what are the procedures? any special documents needed by the custom?
any rules & regulations?

what are the best / favourite / popular places in singapore?
i thought of going sentosa.
which shopping complex to go (expecially for youngster, teenager - not so classy)
any recommendation?

seriously, i felt stuck expecially transportation part.
plz help!!
appreciate a lot.

Hi chemistry, I have travelled often to Singapore, so I can help you very well in this. From JB, where are you coming from may I ask?? Larkin Bus Terminal or JB City itself???

I have loads of information for you, but bcos I have exam tomorrow, I will post it after tomorrow, k.

Firstly,

Buses from JB to Singapore

Malaysian Buses-Causeway Link Bus (The Yellow Coloured Bus with a smiley, you can see the words "Causeway Link" on the side.

CW1 goes from Larkin Bus Terminal to Kranji MRT only
CW2 goes from Larkin Bus Terminal to Queen Street Bus Terminal, which is an old bus terminal used only for buses departing to Malaysia and is located near Bugis, one of the places of attraction that I will tell you about later.

CW3 Goes from Jurong East Bus Interchange in Singapore to Taman Bukit Indah via Gelang Patah. If you do take this bus (but seldom people take this bus), you have to get off at Gelang Patah which is the first town after the bus exiting the highway via 2nd link, cross the road and take Causway Link Bus Num 666 to Larkin. IMM Mall is located near Jurong East Bus Interchange which is another attraction point. Fare from JE Bus Interchange to Gelang Patah is S$ 4.00 and fare for 666 to Larkin is around RM 4.60 (I went in February near Valentine's Day)

CW1 and CW2 use causeway. CW 2 is more of an express bus which does not stop anywhere in Singapore (I have not taken this before)

Singaporean Buses-

SJE-Singapore Johor Express

From Larkin Bus Terminal to Queen Street only. You need to purchase a ticket beforehand at the ticket counter in Larkin (i dunno about Queen Street), never took this bus before.

SMRT Bus 950- Woodlands Bus Interchange to Kotaraya II Terminal in JB via Marsiling Station. (Normally i stay near Marsiling MRT so I use this) SMRT 950 that stop outside the station is heading towards Woodlands while opposite the station is heading towards JB.

SBS Transit-

Bus 160-Jurong East Bus Interchange-Kota Raya II Terminal via Kranji MRT
Bus 170-(Red plate) Queen Street-Larkin Bus Terminal via Kranji MRT
Bus 170-(Blue plate) Kranji MRT-Kotaraya II Terminal

For SBS Transit Bus 170, please take note:
Bus 170 (Red plate) is the only one that goes to Larkin. However if you wait at Kranji MRT it is quite rare. To get to Larkin and be sure that you are on the correct 170, look out for the words "Oueen Street" on the plate. If there is no Queen Street, No Larkin. Bcos the driver may "tiao kay" and refuse to tell you. Last time I went back via Larkin I took SMRT 950 all the way to JB checkpoint, then after clear Malaysia Immigration, I board the 170 to Larkin at there and not at Kranji MRT. I do that bcos I use Ez-link card, not ticket.

Please take note for all buses that go via Kranji MRT

Buses that stop at Kranji MRT no matter Malaysian or Singaporean Bus are heading towards Singapore. For buses to JB, please wait opposite Kranji MRT (overhead bridge)

Re-boarding procedures and fare payment at the "pitstops" (very important)

For all buses, you need not necesarily board the same bus you entered the checkpoint in, except for SJE. Means that, (example) if you take CW 1 from Larkin into JB checkpoint, after clearing immigration and ready to enter Singapore, you can just go down to the bus parking and just board any other CW 1.

Fare payment for Malaysian Buses:

Assuming u take the CW1/CW2 from Larkin, when you go up bus at Larkin, tell the driver your final destination, eg Kranji MRT, Queen Street. The ticket will be printed. Keep the ticket. You will have 2 pitstops, JB checkpoint and Woodlands Checkpoint. When re-boarding the bus at any pitstops, show your ticket to the driver/conductor/officer is there is one. At your final pitstop, which is Woodlands, the officer for the bus will take back your ticket after you show him. After that it will be your final stop (Kranji MRT or Queen Street)

CW 3 Bus:

If you board the CW 3 bus from JE Bus Interchange, there will be a queue line specially for it, with a cash register at the end. Payment must be made to the officers manning it (only when the bus is ready to depart) at the counter. Same procedures for re-boarding as CW 1 and CW 2, only its via 2nd Link.

Fare payment for Singaporean Buses:

Please take note that for SJE, you may not board any other SJE bus. If you take SJE bus, you must return to the same SJE bus that brought you into the checkpoint.

For SMRT and SBS Transit, procedures for reboarding are same as Malaysian Buses if you pay cash (ticket issued) and you must take back the same number bus, eg, if you take SBS 170 from Kranji to Larkin, you must mati-mati wait back for the SBS 170 red-plate.

If you use Ez-link card, then you can hop between SBS bus and SMRT bus while reboarding and hop services also (eg, 160 to Woodlands, then after exit Singapore, you take 170 to cross causeway)

Warning: SMRT 950 is not as frequent as SBS Buses.

bus stops and terminals. Please take note that all Bus Interchanges mentioned here are located near to MRT stations of the same name:

Woodlands Regional Bus Interchange (Official name)-Woodlands MRT Station
Jurong East Bus Interchange-Jurong East MRT

Woodlands bus Interhchange is underground, so the MRT is on top. Some bus interchanges in Singapore are located directly beneath MRTs, or the MRT stations directly underground from the Bus Interchange, or via underground underpass (as in Ang Mo Kio bus interchange)

Kotaraya II terminal is not a full bus station and only has taxis and buses to Singapore, plus a special air-cond building that is for people wanting to go to Senai airport. There is also a whie Causeway Link bus that is only for going to Senai airport from the air-cond building. So only go to Kotaraya II if you are going to or from Senai.

Normally from JB city/City Square I walk all the way into JB checkpoint (got pedestrian bridge now) and board bus only after "exiting Malaysia"

From JB to Singapore, I recommend you take Malaysian Buses as you pay in Ringgit. From Singapore to JB, even if you take the Malaysian buses, you must pay in Singapore Dollars. Edited by timothyngim

QUOTE (timothyngim @ May 3 2009, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi chemistry, I have travelled often to Singapore, so I can help you very well in this. From JB, where are you coming from may I ask?? Larkin Bus Terminal or JB City itself???

I have loads of information for you, but bcos I have exam tomorrow, I will post it after tomorrow, k.

hey timothyngim,
there are 2 choices for me.

1) leaving from larkin bus terminal
(what are the bus fare? where do the bus stop? once enter to spore, which mrt should i go to? is the mrt just nearyby only?)

2) drive into singapore & park at somewhere near mrt station & travel around with mrt
(any special documents needed? do i need to get a passcard or touch-n-go card? which building to park the car?

thanks for your help & good luck in your exam!

QUOTE (timothyngim @ May 3 2009, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Firstly,

Buses from JB to Singapore

Malaysian Buses-Causeway Link Bus (The Yellow Coloured Bus with a smiley, you can see the words "Causeway Link" on the side.

CW1 goes from Larkin Bus Terminal to Kranji MRT only
CW2 goes from Larkin Bus Terminal to Queen Street Bus Terminal, which is an old bus terminal used only for buses departing to Malaysia and is located near Bugis, one of the places of attraction that I will tell you about later.

CW3 Goes from Jurong East Bus Interchange in Singapore to Taman Bukit Indah via Gelang Patah. If you do take this bus (but seldom people take this bus), you have to get off at Gelang Patah which is the first town after the bus exiting the highway via 2nd link, cross the road and take Causway Link Bus Num 666 to Larkin. IMM Mall is located near Jurong East Bus Interchange which is another attraction point. Fare from JE Bus Interchange to Gelang Patah is S$ 4.00 and fare for 666 to Larkin is around RM 4.60 (I went in February near Valentine's Day)

CW1 and CW2 use causeway. CW 2 is more of an express bus which does not stop anywhere in Singapore (I have not taken this before)

Singaporean Buses-

SJE-Singapore Johor Express

From Larkin Bus Terminal to Queen Street only. You need to purchase a ticket beforehand at the ticket counter in Larkin (i dunno about Queen Street), never took this bus before.

SMRT Bus 950- Woodlands Bus Interchange to Kotaraya II Terminal in JB via Marsiling Station. (Normally i stay near Marsiling MRT so I use this) SMRT 950 that stop outside the station is heading towards Woodlands while opposite the station is heading towards JB.

SBS Transit-

Bus 160-Jurong East Bus Interchange-Kota Raya II Terminal via Kranji MRT
Bus 170-(Red plate) Queen Street-Larkin Bus Terminal via Kranji MRT
Bus 170-(Blue plate) Kranji MRT-Kotaraya II Terminal

For SBS Transit Bus 170, please take note:
Bus 170 (Red plate) is the only one that goes to Larkin. However if you wait at Kranji MRT it is quite rare. To get to Larkin and be sure that you are on the correct 170, look out for the words "Oueen Street" on the plate. If there is no Queen Street, No Larkin. Bcos the driver may "tiao kay" and refuse to tell you. Last time I went back via Larkin I took SMRT 950 all the way to JB checkpoint, then after clear Malaysia Immigration, I board the 170 to Larkin at there and not at Kranji MRT. I do that bcos I use Ez-link card, not ticket.

Please take note for all buses that go via Kranji MRT

Buses that stop at Kranji MRT no matter Malaysian or Singaporean Bus are heading towards Singapore. For buses to JB, please wait opposite Kranji MRT (overhead bridge)

Re-boarding procedures and fare payment at the "pitstops" (very important)

For all buses, you need not necesarily board the same bus you entered the checkpoint in, except for SJE. Means that, (example) if you take CW 1 from Larkin into JB checkpoint, after clearing immigration and ready to enter Singapore, you can just go down to the bus parking and just board any other CW 1.

Fare payment for Malaysian Buses:

Assuming u take the CW1/CW2 from Larkin, when you go up bus at Larkin, tell the driver your final destination, eg Kranji MRT, Queen Street. The ticket will be printed. Keep the ticket. You will have 2 pitstops, JB checkpoint and Woodlands Checkpoint. When re-boarding the bus at any pitstops, show your ticket to the driver/conductor/officer is there is one. At your final pitstop, which is Woodlands, the officer for the bus will take back your ticket after you show him. After that it will be your final stop (Kranji MRT or Queen Street)

CW 3 Bus:

If you board the CW 3 bus from JE Bus Interchange, there will be a queue line specially for it, with a cash register at the end. Payment must be made to the officers manning it (only when the bus is ready to depart) at the counter. Same procedures for re-boarding as CW 1 and CW 2, only its via 2nd Link.

Fare payment for Singaporean Buses:

Please take note that for SJE, you may not board any other SJE bus. If you take SJE bus, you must return to the same SJE bus that brought you into the checkpoint.

For SMRT and SBS Transit, procedures for reboarding are same as Malaysian Buses if you pay cash (ticket issued) and you must take back the same number bus, eg, if you take SBS 170 from Kranji to Larkin, you must mati-mati wait back for the SBS 170 red-plate.

If you use Ez-link card, then you can hop between SBS bus and SMRT bus while reboarding and hop services also (eg, 160 to Woodlands, then after exit Singapore, you take 170 to cross causeway)

Warning: SMRT 950 is not as frequent as SBS Buses.

bus stops and terminals. Please take note that all Bus Interchanges mentioned here are located near to MRT stations of the same name:

Woodlands Regional Bus Interchange (Official name)-Woodlands MRT Station
Jurong East Bus Interchange-Jurong East MRT

Woodlands bus Interhchange is underground, so the MRT is on top. Some bus interchanges in Singapore are located directly beneath MRTs, or the MRT stations directly underground from the Bus Interchange, or via underground underpass (as in Ang Mo Kio bus interchange)

Kotaraya II terminal is not a full bus station and only has taxis and buses to Singapore, plus a special air-cond building that is for people wanting to go to Senai airport. There is also a whie Causeway Link bus that is only for going to Senai airport from the air-cond building. So only go to Kotaraya II if you are going to or from Senai.

Normally from JB city/City Square I walk all the way into JB checkpoint (got pedestrian bridge now) and board bus only after "exiting Malaysia"

From JB to Singapore, I recommend you take Malaysian Buses as you pay in Ringgit. From Singapore to JB, even if you take the Malaysian buses, you must pay in Singapore Dollars.

wow so detail! need sometime to digest..hehe
THANKS A LOT!! very helpful.

QUOTE (chemistry @ May 4 2009, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey timothyngim,
there are 2 choices for me.

1) leaving from larkin bus terminal
(what are the bus fare? where do the bus stop? once enter to spore, which mrt should i go to? is the mrt just nearyby only?)

2) drive into singapore & park at somewhere near mrt station & travel around with mrt
(any special documents needed? do i need to get a passcard or touch-n-go card? which building to park the car?

thanks for your help & good luck in your exam!

1. Leaving from Larkin. Bus fares may change. I'm also not too sure. Just look for the Causeway Link bus CW 1 and/or CW 2 bus. NOrmally they park at the end.
Like I mentioned, if the bus stops at the MRT, means MRT is nearby. All buses from Malaysia normally go direct to Kranji MRT.

2. Drive and park. Majority of MRT statiosn dun have carpark, bcos Singaporeans dun "drive and park". Those who take public transport, take public transport. Those who own cars, never take public transport. (I'm kinda "half-Singaporean tongue.gif)

Driving in Singapore is highly discouraged:

1. You need Autopass card for Singapore side and TOuch n Go is for JB side when re-entry to JB.

2. ERP charges is S$5 per day for foreign cars.

3. Traffic jams for car lane and motorbike lane at Woodlands checkpoint going out of Singapore is normal, while bus lan no problem.

4. The main reason why dun drive in Singapore: The traffic system is mad!!! They dun have "L-Traffic lights" unlike in Malaysia. In Msia, if you wanna turn right at crossroads, you have to stop and wait for ur own traffic light while both sides (going straight) can go. You can only go when both sides (going straight) red and you green.

In Singapore, one green means all green. That means both sides going straight, green, you turning right also green, so you have to practically "cross a busy path of cars" when the other side is going straight. I have seen the Malaysian Buses drivers doing it expertly but I dun think I have the guts to do it.

Your first visit to Singapore??? Going alone??? I have "backpacked" alone throughout Singapore before. Got lost near Katong also where got no MRT. Normally I take buses, seldom take MRT. Are you from JB???

QUOTE (timothyngim @ May 4 2009, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. Leaving from Larkin. Bus fares may change. I'm also not too sure. Just look for the Causeway Link bus CW 1 and/or CW 2 bus. NOrmally they park at the end.
Like I mentioned, if the bus stops at the MRT, means MRT is nearby. All buses from Malaysia normally go direct to Kranji MRT.

2. Drive and park. Majority of MRT statiosn dun have carpark, bcos Singaporeans dun "drive and park". Those who take public transport, take public transport. Those who own cars, never take public transport. (I'm kinda "half-Singaporean tongue.gif )

Driving in Singapore is highly discouraged:

1. You need Autopass card for Singapore side and TOuch n Go is for JB side when re-entry to JB.

2. ERP charges is S$5 per day for foreign cars.

3. Traffic jams for car lane and motorbike lane at Woodlands checkpoint going out of Singapore is normal, while bus lan no problem.

4. The main reason why dun drive in Singapore: The traffic system is mad!!! They dun have "L-Traffic lights" unlike in Malaysia. In Msia, if you wanna turn right at crossroads, you have to stop and wait for ur own traffic light while both sides (going straight) can go. You can only go when both sides (going straight) red and you green.

In Singapore, one green means all green. That means both sides going straight, green, you turning right also green, so you have to practically "cross a busy path of cars" when the other side is going straight. I have seen the Malaysian Buses drivers doing it expertly but I dun think I have the guts to do it.

Your first visit to Singapore??? Going alone??? I have "backpacked" alone throughout Singapore before. Got lost near Katong also where got no MRT. Normally I take buses, seldom take MRT. Are you from JB???

yup, my first visit to singapore. going there with my friends la. no guts to go alone.
im from kl.
hey, thanks ya for ur info. biggrin.gif

Chemistry, I hope you haven't gone. Sorry so late reply, my exam yesterday just finish. Ok, if you are from KL, I suggest you take express bus directly there, it saves on your transportation. Unless, you want to roam around in JB first, but for me, normally I go in direct to Singapore. I suggest you take the Transnasional Express from Puduraya, compared to other express buses (unless you got money and want to take the luxury ones, but they don't depart from Puduraya). Transnasional uses the second link to enter Singapore just like the luxury buses compared to other express buses like Konsortium Bas Ekspres or similar. Singapore Officers on the Second Link (Tuas Checkpoint) are much polite and treat you better than those at Woodlands. And also because the queues are smaller. Reason? At Woodlands, there are tons of buses they have to process. Apart from those "stage buses" going from JB to Singapore which I mentioned earlier, they have to process most express buses that use the causeway. In Tuas (Second Link) if you take the midnight bus from KL, most of the time the only bus they process is your express, and the occasional Tour Bus (I have seen before) and of course the luxury coaches which are not so frequent. Also if you take express bus direct to Singapore, you do not have to lug your luggage so much as in at JB side, you just have to go down the bus and check your passport/scan your passport at the autogate to exit Malaysia. At Singapore side only you have to bring them down.

If this is your first time entering Singapore or your passport is new, Singapore Immigration Officers (IOs) will most likely request to see your Malaysian IC. They only do this to Malaysians. Prior to entry you also have to fill up a white "entry card".

Another way is via train from KL Sentral.

Let me know if you prefer to do that so I can tell you where's the point of reaching in Singapore.