Sign in to follow this  
Orangez

How much does 1 Carat Diamond cost?

I think it would depend on the cut and clarity, easily can set you aside from RM4k onwards?

Ya ka Cas...i thought it need more than 5 k ... :rolleyes: i m sorry...no experience in buying diamond..hehe..

Well I’ve seen cheaper ones, and as I said, depends on clarity, cut, whether it comes with cert etc. If you want quality ones then of course it can go up to RM7-8k easily. I also no experience, lol, just based on what I know from shopping for my engagement ring.

definitely depends on the grade of the diamond.... you know... the important C's like Cut, Clarity, Carat weight, Color and Certificate.

i shop quite a fair bit hahaha..... know a little bit of factors laa :D

wahhh.... with rm7k can get a 1ct diamond ahhh?

that must be a very bad quality diamond leh.... :blink:

i think a reasonable price for an average 1ct diamond (presentable enough to shock your gal when you propose) should range from rm18k to rm35k lehhh....

the average quality is probably fg color vs1 or vs2 clarity and excellent cut...

mmmm.... anyway, i learn all these from my die-hard jeweller whom i have known for years :)

well, just sharing my knowledge laa :lol:

cheers :clapclap:

Well I've seen cheaper ones, and as I said, depends on clarity, cut, whether it comes with cert etc. If you want quality ones then of course it can go up to RM7-8k easily. I also no experience, lol, just based on what I know from shopping for my engagement ring.

errr... cas.... you are one hot gal i must say !!!

have you shopped your engagement ring already???

oh man... does that mean you are taken??

whoever your man is, he is surely veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery lucky :wub:

happy shopping!!

Yaa...I agreed . Depends on all the factors mentioned above. My mum just bought a diamond ring which has only weight 0.30 but a very fine cut , colour and clarity last month already cost her about Rm6k le.. :blink:

Yaa...I agreed . Depends on all the factors mentioned above. My mum just bought a diamond ring which has only weight 0.30 but a very fine cut , colour and clarity last month already cost her about Rm6k le.. :blink:

no way!!! 0.30ct for rm6k!!! wah liao ^_^

your mom's diamond better be D color, IF CLARITY OR VVS1 CLARITY, and EX EX EX TRIPLE EXCELLENT ROUND BRILLIANT CUT MAN!!! and also, must come with GIA CERTIFICATE WITH LASER SERIES NUMBER!

that's one hell of a money for such a small diamond :X

oh dear... rm6k....

:shakehead:

it depends on the grade...my mum have 1 diamond which is two carats cost her more than 20k..

hey there!

today's price for 2ct diamond is at least rm70k above :shocking: hehee.... your mom is very lucky to have such a big diamond man!! your dad surely loves her enough to get her such a big rock!

saluting to your daddy

:praisegod:

waw...so expensive one....

hahahaa.... you better buck up if you plan to blow away your gal in years to come :wink3:

well... i wouldnt say you must pay a bomb for your diamond, but at least a reasonably priced diamonds are worth getting laaa...

if a diamond too cheap, sure got problem one...

if a diamond too expensive, also sure got problem one...

hehehehe...

sorry ahh... it seems that i am the only talking on this forum...

diamonds keep me going :lol:

i am a big diamond freak!!

lets hope someone would write more on this forum...

at least young people like us know what diamond is all about and also, not to be simply ripped off ^_^

hey there!

today's price for 2ct diamond is at least rm70k above :shocking: hehee.... your mom is very lucky to have such a big diamond man!! your dad surely loves her enough to get her such a big rock!

saluting to your daddy

:praisegod:

na,that was bought a long time ago,10 years or even more and it was a special price quoted by my dad fren...anyway,u can still find such cheap diamond nowaday but of course it might not be perfect..but i think my mum 1 is ok lerr,also very bling...the 70k u mentioned there are probably a very high quality diamond,i have never heard of such expensive 2 carats diamond before,phew...

hmmmm, my engagement ring cost arnd 7k....hehe only 0.38 carat le. anything that is above 0.50 will have a very big difference from 0.49. So if we are talking abt 1 carat, that would be very costly

QUOTE (BabyHudu @ Sep 16 2009, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hmmmm, my engagement ring cost arnd 7k....hehe only 0.38 carat le. anything that is above 0.50 will have a very big difference from 0.49. So if we are talking abt 1 carat, that would be very costly

Correct correct. My wife's is only .24 carat... I paid 5 K already. Too bad, there are rings with higher carat, but does not suit her at the moment.

Saw one at Diamond and Platinum, their Estrella series is of Perfect cut type... 1 Carat 65K. Colour is about a grade from perfectly clear, and about 2 grades from perfectly flawless...

I have seen other brands that have 1 carat at 20K, love cut.

Depends and very subjective, if you're going to buy a diamond stick with reputable dealers. Generally a good 1ct diamond in the western market goes for USD5k, but if you go for a rare (Australian) Argyle pink a good 1ct will fetch USD50k.

Don't buy diamonds thinking it's an investment, it's not - in fact it will be one of your worst "investment" decisions where money involved is concerned. Buying gold in jewery form isn't investment either but will hold value much better than diamonds.

The diamond price world wide is essentially controlled by 2 companies which work together to maximise profits. So thats why you see prices going up come recession or not. These companies - De Beers and Rio Tinto just hold onto what diamonds they can't sell to maintain price.

Consider synthetic diamonds, they cost US44/ct instead of USD5k/ct. & they are perfect 5Cs stone, that a natural diamond will be hard to get or cost 100 x more.

If you need to buy a natural diamond - then its simple: buy the biggest looking stone you can get for the money you want to spend & not so much for clarity or any of the other C's, because a bigger stone will always look more impressive. eg. A very poor 5C's 0.6Ct diamond costing RM3k will always look more impressive than a Good 5C 0.3Ct costing RM6k.

There is a 4 C criteria when you purchasing a diamond.

CUT

The cut of a diamond allows it to make the best use of light. When a diamond is cut correctly, light is reflected from one facet to another, then dispersed through the top of the stone. If the cut of the diamond is too deep, some light escapes through the opposite side of the pavilion. If the cut is too shallow, light escapes through the pavilion before it can be reflected.

Please do not confuse the cut of a diamond with its shape. Diamonds can be cut into a number of shapes, depending on the qualities of the rough stone before it is cut.

cut.gif

shapes.gif

The most popular diamond shapes are round, marquise, pear, emerald, oval and heart.

Whatever the shape, a well-cut diamond is the work of a master diamond cutter. When the cut is right the diamond gives more sparkle.

COLOR

Diamonds range in color from faint yellow or brown to very rare pinks, blues, greens, and other colors known as "fancies."

The best color for a diamond is no color at all. A totally colorless diamond allows light to pass through it easily, resulting in the light being dispersed as the color of the rainbow.

Colors are graded from totally colorless to light yellow. The diferences from one grade to the other are very subtle and it takes a trained eye and years of experience to color grade a diamond.

color.gif

CLARITY

A diamond's clarity is determined by using a 10-power magnifying glass and a trained eye.
clarity.gif 
Most diamonds contain very tiny impurities know as "inclusions." An inclusion can interfere with the light passing through the diamond.

The fewer the inclusion, the more beautiful the diamond will be.

Diamonds have the capability of producing more brilliance than any other gemstone. A diamond that is free of inclusions and surface blemishes is very rare and therefore very valuable.

CARAT-WEIGHT

This is the weight of a diamond measured in carats.

One carat is divided into 100 "points," so that a diamond of 75 points weights .75 ct.

The carat-weight of a diamond is the easiest measurement to determine.

Most importantly, two diamonds can be of equal carat-weight, but their value can differ greatly due to their cut, color, and clarity.

Don't rush into your diamond purchase. Take your time and evaluate your choice carefully. It took thousands of years for nature to form your diamond and the skill of a master diamond cutter to bring your diamond to you. The time you spend now can bring you a lifetime of pleasure.

http://www.diamondmanufacturer.com

Edited by shero

As it was mentioned above, the price depends on different factors. Here  is a good calculator, according to which prices start from near $3500 per carat

DIAMOND CARAT SIZE CHART

Even though the price of a diamond increases exponentially with the carat weight, the actual size does not. The table below illustrates the typical size relationship between diamonds of increasing carat weights. Note that when carat weight triples (from 1 to 3 carats), perceived size (represented in the images below) roughly triples as well, however the diameter increases only 45% (from 6.50 to 9.40), and crown area (the surface area visible when the diamond is set) slightly more than doubles.

CARAT WEIGHT

Approximate Size

10.jpg

20.jpg

30.jpg

Diameter (mm)

Crown (mm2)

This is important to keep in mind when reviewing diamonds of any shape; a given increase in diameter will yield a larger increase in surface (crown) area and overall perceived size. While the third diamond above has a roughly 50% greater diameter than the first, it certainly appears more than 50% larger.