Sign in to follow this  
huili

Job as Cabin Crew/Flight Attendant/ Stewardess

Well.... it seems that there's so many FA wannabes here, i think i'll write down some experiences that i've gone thru with the SIA interview. Here's the interview procedures was like:

The first thing u need to do is to send ur application online where u can get the application form from the SIA website: http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/cont.../cabin_crew.jsp

Requirements:

Singapore citizens or Malaysian citizens who are Singapore Permanent Residents

Males who are at least 1.65m in height; females who are at least 1.58m

GCE ‘A’ Levels (2 ‘A’-level credits and 2 ‘O’-level credits including General Paper)/Diploma and above preferred

Preference will be given to candidates who are able to speak foreign languages or are experienced in customer service.

Well, after u have submitted ur form to them, u'll have to wait for their reply appox. 1 and 1/2 mths. If after for 2 mths there's no reply from them, that means u should start to plan for ur next application then. My advice for those ppl that's been keep applying for the FA position online for the past few mths or few years, u better wait for another 6 mths or more to apply for another attempt bcos they'll keep ur information in their database for the entire 6 mths. Well, u wouldn't want them to blacklist u bcos of that...right? They want to see new faces and not familiar ones everytime they check on their database.

Alright...let's come back to the main part. If u r to be invited for the 1st interview, congrats to u but not to be too happy 1st! This is just the beginning. They'll tell u where to attend for the interview, usually at a 5 star hotel. Cheers! :clapclap:

Be prepared before u go for the interview. If u r really keen to be an FA, u better prepare everything well before u attend for ur 1st interview. 1st impression is the most important! SIA is very specific in ur complexion, personality, characteristics, appearance, elegance and of course on how u bring urself and present urself well. Be urself! They can tell if u r faking it. So, be careful. Confidence and english fluency is

a good key in getting in. Make sure u practice ur fluency and what u going to say to them. Last but not least, remember to do ur facial treatments 1 or 2 weeks before the interview. It really makes a difference. Put on some make up and make sure u look presentable and not pale. U should wear an office attire or something a bit formal and not jeans etc…

First Day of Interview:

1st Round: 10 girls in a group. Group interview. U'll be asked to go into a room with 9 other girls for their 1st round. 1 interviewer will ask all of u to do self intro. Make it short and simple. U would not want to drag and tell all ur grandma and grandpa stories in front of the interviewer and other applicants. The more u speak, the more grammar mistakes u’ll make. I bet that they’ll be laughing by themselves. Just make it short and simple. Trust me, this actually happens! They will ask all of u to talk a little bit about urself one by one. Just stay calm. Actually they r testing on ur fluency and overall presentation. Be confidence of what u r talking. After the self intro, they will ask the 10 of u to wait into a room and wait for the result. Then, they’ll send someone to announce who’ll be proceeding to the next round. If u r selected in here, u’ll be send to the 2nd round after that.

2nd Round: One to one interview. In here, there will be one interviewer to ask u more in details about ur background, ur interest, ur work and everything. They actually wanted to know more about u and how keen and interested u r in joining as the part of the FA team. Just be urself and think before u answer. Then, they’ll ask u to read a short passage to test ur reading and fluency. If u r successful in this round, the interviewer will give u a piece of paper, meaning that u’ll proceed to the next round. The psychometric test.

3rd Round: The psychometric test. There r about 100 or more objective questions to be answered. There r no correct or wrong answers here. They just want to test ur characteristics and see whether u r suitable to be an FA. Just answer, don’t think too long. Then after the test, a girl there will give u a piece of paper and tell u to come for the next round interview another day. Usually it’ll be tomorrow.

Second Day of Interview:

1st Round: Kebaya check. In here, they’ll see on how u look in the uniform. They’ll also check for scars, tattoo, visible acnes and spare tires. Remember to put a lot of make up in this round. U’ll be counting on it, trust me! U’ll be asked to walk towards the interviewer that will check on ur skin. U should not neglect the way u walk here. They’ll also quite particular in the way u walk. Walk with confidence and stable. Bring out ur elegance. For those who r quite skinny, SIA do not always prefer skinny ones especially when u wear the kebaya, no curve no shape, u r gone. That’s what I know. After all the checking, u’ll have to wait for them to announce on who will proceed to the next round.If u r selected, u’ll have to go for the water confidence test.

2nd Round: Water Confidence Test. In this round, u’ll have to do a simple catwalk walking towards the interviewer and let them check thoroughly on ur skin and visible scars again on ur swimsuit. Then, u’ll have to jump into the pool around 6metres deep, and swim 50metres back and forth in the pool. After that, u’ll need to report back to the interviewer. If, u don’t know how to swim, that’s ok. They will provide a life vest for u. U only thing that can help u to reach to the other end of the pool will be swimming backwards. Swimming forwards will not help much. In this test, there are testing on ur guts whether u r able to jump into the sea in case of emergency. After the test, u’ll be asked to wait into a room to announce who’ll be proceeding to the final interview. If u passed, they’ll ask u to write down ur name and email add in a piece of paper and hand it over to them. They’ll keep in touch with u again and tell u the next venue and date for the finals.

Last Day of Interview:

Final Interview: For the last interview here, there will be 2 – 3 panels to interview u in a room. They’ll ask u more in dept questions about u and let u know the result for ur recent psychometric test. They’ll observe u and see whether u r suitable to be an FA. Usually, they r from the upper level management ppl from the HR dept. So, be careful on what u r saying to them. They’ll be the ones who’ll be determined ur future if u r very keen to be an FA. They’ll ask u questions like, why u want to be an air stewardess?, what will u do after u’ve resigned from SIA?..stuff like that. If they ask u situational questions like, what will u do if SARS are detected on plane? That means, they r having doubts on u. So, be prepared and think before u answer. If u have customer service background or additional language knowledge, it’ll help a lot to pass thru. This interview takes around 15-20 mins. It varies for each ppl. After they have done with u, u’ll have to go back to the waiting room, and a girl will go into the panels’ room to announce whether u made thru or not. After a short discussion between them, the girl will tell u whether u can stay or go home.

If u made it, u’ll be staying for the tea party in the evening later on.

Tea Party: I’ll advice u, not to be too happy yet if u r here. Bcos in here, sometimes they’ll still eliminate someone during the tea party. So, don’t be too confident and relax in this round. It is still an interview round. During the tea party, they’ll ask all of u to chat and mingle around with others. All of u will be gathering in a circle round to chat and have tea. U may also talk to the interviewers too. Those interviewers here will observe every one of u while u are communicating with others. But from what I know, they r very seldom to eliminate ppl here, only if they r still considering that someone. This tea party usually will last for 1 hour. If u r safe in this round, they’ll give u a few pieces of paper indicating u to go for a medical check up somewhere in KL area. They’ll also give u an application form to fill in again indicating a more detailed particulars and another form to apply for an employment pass to able to work in S’pore. They’ll ask u to bring all the forms home to fill in. After u have gone for the check up and fill every particulars in, just send it back to the SIA head office.

As what they told us, for STPM or Diploma Holders, basic salary will be SGD1200.00 and for Degree or Higher Degree Holders, basic will be SGD1350.00. Training will be 4 mths and while training only basic salary will be paid. After graduation, flying allowance and transport allowance will be paid accordingly.

If u r fail to apply for the employment pass, or maybe ur medical check up is not up to standard, u’ll also cannot work for SIA. So, good luck girls! If ur medical here is cleared and employment pass is approved, u’ll have to go for another check up in S’pore conducted by the S’pore ministry. If everything is cleared there, congrats, u r finally able to work as an FA for SIA. U’ll have to sign a 5 years contract with SIA, 4 mths training, and 1 year bond contract. Then, u’ll start ur training according to availability of training classes. Congratulations!

:thumbup1:

Edited by mysty

hi all...

do u knw when they will conduct interview in mas?

and how to get into this industry? ...eg how to apply..? i`m a noob.

provide some info for me....thnx

hi chloe,

right now there is an interview will be conducted by SIA this weekend on 9th April in Penang. Y don't u try for that one 1st to gain some experience. u might get that one. U know what, there's already been some time that MAS did not recruit new ppl. Instead, they r retrenching their own staff. So, no use to wait for that one now. Better look for a better company. Good luck.

hi chloe,

right now there is an interview will be conducted by SIA this weekend on 9th April in Penang. Y don't u try for that one 1st to gain some experience. u might get that one. U know what, there's already been some time that MAS did not recruit new ppl. Instead, they r retrenching their own staff. So, no use to wait for that one now. Better look for a better company. Good luck.

omg..!! its too late..neway thnx a lot for informing... where is the venue , time etc...?

there`s too much to consider, esp my transportation prob. neway thnx again la...hehe :D

Wow..in pg? venue?But it's kinda late to know this cuz must prepare since they quite strict in our appearance

Edited by ahchak

halo chloe!the interview will be conducted at City Bayview Hotel at Farquhar Street...i've been in the interview last year before i got my diploma cert .. n i have passed the medical checkup part...i was so happy!! but the officer called me n said tat i hav to get my diploma b4 i can be a FA.... :doh: faint....but nvm...i will go for the interview again once i got my degree cert(coz the salary is higher with a degree cert..hehe)

By the way,the hardest part in the interview is the kebaya round...i can hardly breath when i put on the kebaya.. :shocking: and i find it very hard to wolk with those FA sandals..ya...like wat mysty said, u hav to put up makeup and make a tidy hairdo before u attend the interview...so good luck to u if u go for the interview!!

by the way...im new here..just joined last few days...nice to meet u all~~ Mysty,sumthing to ask u...i hav check the SIA website n i think they have updated the web coz there is no application form available..but last time i download the form from the website ler

Been to the MAS training academy at KJ... facilities quite okay.. not that good and not tat bad.

was doing the offshore safety training.. need to go for this helicopter simulater turn upside down in the water, pretty scarry.. but then nearby can see stewardess trainee doing training... so not so scarry d..haha..

anyway, if u go for the full training after your spm/stpm, i think you need to do a 2-3 years training(thats what im being told by my friends - they are in MAS and SIA respectively). if you apply or walk in interview like the ones they going to have in few months time, then it will be 3-6 months training.

hey sidney,

SIA right now is conducting a walk in interview, so they didn't have the link for u to download the application form only if they r asking u to apply online. BTW, i got a news from one of my fren that attended for SIA's interview this morning. Well, felt sorry for her that she didn't got in after the 1st round. I guess the interviewer still can recognise her bcos this is her 2nd attempt from her previous March '06 interview. Too soon for another try. She has to wait another 6 mths to apply again. Anyway, good luck to everyone that'll try for it. :)

Edited by mysty

Cabin Crew Full Time Permanent posted 26/05/2006

Singapore,

Requirements

We will soon be conducting a recruitment exercise in Malaysia.

As a Flight Steward or Flight Stewardess with Singapore Airlines, you can look forward to a total income of about $3,500 a month, including fixed salary and variable incentive allowances. Plus an annual wage supplement of one month’s basic salary and profit-sharing bonus. You will

also be entitled to free travel to any SIA destination once a year and enjoy discounted travel at other times.

We’re looking for the best to join our elite team of cabin crew. If you meet the following requirements, we will be pleased to receive your application:

• Malaysian citizens

• At least 1.58m in height for females and 1.65m for males

• At least 2 principal level passes and 2 subsidiary passes in STPM/GCE ‘A’ level or its equivalent; or a diploma from a

university or college.

Candidates with at least 5 credits in SPM/GCE ‘O’ level

and relevant working experience may also apply.

A minimum grade of B4 in English at SPM level is required

for the above qualifications.

Preference will be given to candidates who are able to speak

foreign languages or are experienced in customer service.

To apply, please click on the "Apply to this job" link below and fill in your details by 3 June 2006.

Shortlisted candidates will be notified via email.

http://singaporeair.recruitmax.com/MAIN/ca...tal/default.cfm

go to whatever airlines you want but not emirates. my cousin's wife is working at emirates & before i met her, i thought she was beautiful & all. but manatau, my specs also wanna jatuh. she's way shorter than me(note:i'm standing at 170) & her face is full of scars. during the wedding, i thought i could see lotsa pretty girls from her airlines. boy, i was so disappointed. all her friends from the airlines aren't tht good either. as i heard from her, they always kena touch here & there by those arabian customers. so yeah, as a stewardess herself, she don't advise you guys to go for emirates.

This might be weird. im looking forward to chase those interviews to apply job just for experiencing what its like to go for different interviews. eheh will further info this forum my own experience in my views. yeah yeah. Anyone knows wether there is any age requirements?

My neighbour (a malay guy) is a MAS air-steward. He likes to smile...very great smile too. That's the reason he was chosen to work there. According to him, he likes this job alot coz he likes travelling. So, no matter how tough the job is, he still does enjoy it. Oh ya...He just went to Tokyo last night. Not bad huh.. ;)

hi all,

for ur information, anyone between 18-30 yrs old can apply for the position above. As for the height problem, u can give it a try bcos they will measure u again but don't put so much hope though. U don't have to have a good eyesight bcos u r allow to wear contacts. :)

girls,just to clarify some stuff here..being a cabin crew member isn't all about serving tea and coffee and smiling to your customers all the time..it's more than that..the primary duty of a cabin crew member is to ensure the safety of the passengers in-flight and to be able to safely evacuate everyone out of the cabin under 90 seconds in the event of ditching or emergency landing..in other words,they are there to save your a**,not kiss your a**! LOLZ :lol: but in reality,it's extremely unlikely that they will have to execute emergency procedures..on a typical line flight,their job is to serve the pax and meet all their demands as much as possible,and also NEVER ever neglect the 2 men sitting in the front-most section of the aircraft.. :D that means serving their meals promptly without delay and come to the flight deck when they ask you to because they are bored.. :)

i would LOVE to be one.. but i have visible tattoos, im attached, not pretty enough and not tall enough... darn that!

one of my fren is also airstewardess.. she is not that pretty and not that tall too.. but i think is her confidence that get her a place in MAS... fly wit MAS for 4 years then switch to AirAsia... she told me that Airasia is not so stressful... i guess everyone can give a try for the interview.. just be more confident....

i still not sure wanna try the interivew or not since 1 of my fren,senior air steward ask me to give it a go, he can recommend me to the inside people there. salary also not so high basic around 2k only, but their allowance is high. also my height, english speaking requirement no prob but worried coz im a bit on the lean side(and they'll measure my weight) dunno can pass or not.

does it seems like every girl's dream to be a stewardess?