Sign in to follow this  
elle

arranged marriage?

Arranged marriage was a trend in the olden days, perhaps in our grandparents' days or even parents' days. However, time is changing and it's always changing. People do not believe or rather they don't follow in the parents and grandparents foot steps any longer. What do you think of arranged marriage? Is it good, bad or no opinion on that issue?

Well, I guess everyone wouldn't want to be stuck with someone arranged nowadays. Plus the fact that in our society now individuality is much more important, so we'll be less likely to be patient and put up with someone we don't love at first.

yeah that's true, personally i dont want too but then there are too many divorced nowadays... while arranged marriage, seldom i hear it...

Wah.. really so good ar. Like that.. I arrange Cossie to be married with Elle.

How about that?

why did you choose elle ar? you must be trying to punish her for some reason.

In Malaysia this practice is nearly extinct but we should be aware that it is still a common practice in India and Pakistan. This are he countries I know of b'coz I have a few friends from this places (working in Malaysia/Singapore).

One guy is getting married soon and he has not meet his bride-to-be. 2 years ago another guy was in the same situation, at the beginning he didn't want to go thru with the whole affair but when he had a glimpse of his future bride he changed his mind... now he wouldn't want to let his wife out of his sight. Turns out that his wife is very pretty biggrin.gif

A friend of mine gave this comment: when a guy is making big money.. the family back home can afford to look for a better daughter-in-law.

pepsi.gif

-Shaiful-

errrrr epi... did i murder you? laughing.gif no way.. that is not possible at all.. I would rather die... honestly... noooooooo wayyyyyyy..... no no no no no...

I cant accept arrange marriage... yeah I really can't... even my grandparents r not from this tradition wacko.gif

An arranged marriage is one based on reason and choice, from a third party. therefore, whether it is good or it is bad, depends on the person who makes the decisions. In this case, the parents.

If the parents are wise, arranged marriage will work out flawlessly. Its is a great concept, like communism.

Unfortunately, like communism, the implementation is another story. How many of us here are good decision makers? How much do we know about our children?

Therefore, arranged marriage fails most of the time. The reason it worked in the past is because women in the ancient ages are submissive and the men rule over the women. That's y arranged marriages work, because the woman doesn't complain and tries to make the best out of it. In nowadays, where women actually stand up and speak out, and fight for their dreams, arranged marriage do not work anymore.

I know a friend whose parents are from arranged marriage and it's the other way round... her mom is the leader of the house and her dad couldnt care much about family... so yeah her mom sacrificed a lot i supposed.... maybe that makes the family works as well? hmm i dunno

How do you define "works"? As in the family continues to be seen together, or do they share an emotional bond?

Guest SakuRa

well... i think its not really tat good lo.... cos mayb they dun really love each other or wat le... but if they really do its great =D .... lolz XD .... mayb they r jsut great friends but not great lovers.... kekeke.... kinda like forced marriage now @@

works as in... the family still stick together.., and all of them are happy living under the same roof...

my grandparent got married thru arrange marriage. turns out they disagree all the time. no quarrels, but i can tell they r not made for each other. my grandpa has passed on, and instead of missing him, grandma insists tat she should sleep with another family member should grandpa decided to come back for a visit! i dun wan tat to happen to me or any other ppl....

arranged marriage is no.gif .. ur forced to spend ur entire life with some1 u dun love or worst , dun even know .. but then some may find happiness on the way ..

in arerange marriage... i supposed they tend to put more effort in it... i dunno that's just wat i observed

arranged marriage is no.gif .. ur forced to spend ur entire life with some1 u dun love or worst , dun even know .. but then some may find happiness on the way ..

my grandpap and grandma are arranged marriage. When my grandpap died, my grandma was heartbroken, but then she survived for one whole year just to hold all the rituals for him, and after completing it she passed away too. I was so touched when I heard of that... that's true love that is hard to find in this world.

got all kinds of match making wan. they either fail or succeed. for me, whether my marriage is arranged or not, i think it will be okay.

most ppl i know who are in an arranged marriage did it just to please their parents. some of them found eternal happiness while some just live their lives as it is by fulfilling all the responsibilities as a partner and parent.

im sure every parent wants the best for their kids but forcing their child into an arranged marriage without the kids approval would only lead to unhappiness. if it was me, i wont sacrifice my lifetime happiness coz at the end of the day, im gonna be the one putting up with my partner. not them.

[quote name='epileatheral' date='04 April 2005 - 05:30 PM' timestamp='1112607012' post='75565']
Wah.. really so good ar. Like that.. I arrange Cossie to be married with Elle.

How about that?
[/quote]

I support!!!!! :clapclap:

interesting topic..
weird weird weid.. most of us thought that this only happens back ol time...
surprisingly, this still happening now in Malaysia..
had a fren who in dilemma - to be married with her parent choice, who is totally way out of her taste and like.

Ppl said that you have to go thru bf gf relationship 1st before you commit to sumthing more serious like marriage in order for you to know the other person. It is true in some cases, but do remember also that usually during this stage sometimes the other person is not showing his true colors yet. Arranged marriage is not bad idea actually, the most important thing is the couples must be compatible with each other.