Sign in to follow this  
yuri

shall i or shall i not?

I jz wanna ask everybody’s opinion lar.. I have a situation in my work environment. The thing is, I have a very understanding boss.. I was having some major issues with the project that I am conducting and eventually because of the system nt working that well, we have decided to call off the live implementation for the project causing losses to the company lar.. so to speak bt my boss didn’t scold me.. he encouraged me say that this is a small issue compared to others lar.. dun worry …

I was really happy to have such understanding boss.. but on the other hand, because of the complexity of the project, I have made sooo many enemies with everybody working WITH me.. previously I had lack of information sent to me, then the ppl supporting this project also got pissed because I gave wrong information, this and that.. so backstabbing is like hell.. everybody seemed to be pissed with me and the way I work.. they say I dun listen to others.. even my own team members start to talk behind my back on how shitty I manage things wor..

Im nt sure whether I stay in this company or not.. its difficult to find a boss who will understand whatever I go thru .. bt its also difficult to work when the whole world is against me.. I find it really depressing because now, I cant speak up to them.. I am constantly feeling low and .. at some point, I really feel that I am stupid.

What do u guys think?

Career world is not as simple as you think it is. Your boss might seem understanding in the surface but how sincere is he/she? I am not saying your boss is cunning or anything like that. Perhaps your boss is the really understanding type. But then you need to be careful when people are nice, especially in career world. You have to trust people and yet you cannot trust people completely.

Regarding your colleagues, perhaps you have handled your working life in the wrong manner. No matter how complex or rushing things might be, you have to be cordial to your colleagues. They are the one you spent most of your time with, not your boss. Perhaps you should apologise to them. I'm not saying it is your fault or anything. But in situation like yours, it would be better to be apologise sincerely for your shortcoming.

In the corporate world, be nice to the people you meet on the way up because they will be the one who will support you when you are up there and they will also be the people you meet when you are down.

I think its a good opportunity to practise how to mend things up and win back the confidence of your colleague. At the same time, it also provides u the opportunity to correct their perception of you if its indeed wrong.

Its normal for things to have some screw ups and it does happen. But what is more important is what u do with it.

Lordy is right, this is a good time for you to TRY to mend things. As you yourself admitted, you have made some mistakes yourself, and of course some of them are misunderstandings. Although it must be very tough on you to go to work everyday, surrounded by the thought that many people are against you. But this is a great challenge for you to elevate yourself to another level altogether. Try to fix what you can, and try to change others' perception of you, at the same time, know that not everything is within your control and excel under those conditions (eg. you cant possibly make everyone like you, or stop talking about you behind your back).

Personally, I am quite against the idea of you quitting soon after the failed/withdrawn project. At least stay for a few more months. You can think of it as compensating your boss for his loss, and for his trust and confidence in you. Or you can persevere by thinking that if you quit now, you will only reaffirm every negative comment made about you behind your back. But most importantly, do it for yourself, tell yourself that you dont run just because some people misunderstand you, or do not like you/the way you work. Make a statement with your actions! It will be tough, but it will be a period of growth for yourself. If you're up to the challenge, i wish you the best of luck, and im sure u'll do so well, so much better than you ever thought you can! Good luck dear!

yeah i do agree that i should not be so weak.. whenever i hit any problem then i run away from it.. im trying

my best to cope with the huge demands from customer, operations, IT support team.. sometimes i feel sooo

tiring.. and whenever something happens, everybody blames everybodyelse.. u get what i mean? its jz so darn shitty,

and because of this issues happening over and over again, my confidence is really low to the point where i know the answer

bt i always question myself is that right? is that right?

everybody plays a role..i might be slow and that pissed everybody off because there is soo much in the system.. the complexity

is killing me... i wonder if i am right here.. i wonder if other companies are the same.. my friend once told me, dun complain

about how bad ur work is, how bad the ppl around me is.. look at myself.. i looked at myself and evaluated and i somehow find

this thing that i am doing, intresting challenging and really fast paced.. bt on the other hand, i wanted to slow down the pace,

indulge in something less challenging and more towards operational work where responsibilities are nt that high.. then again

i thought, if operational and admin work, i wont get the experience like what im getting now...

sigh..i have to change myself.. bt i need to start somewhere..

tough call. What is your plan out of this? Are you determined to get back the trust of your colleagues? Do you see yourself suceeding?

You need to spend a few minutes to write yourself a couple of sentences to specify a short term mission plan. its good that your boss is understanding. He made the call to stop the launch and incur penalties so I don't see how this whole delay can be solely your fault.

I think you need to mature some more in your role. You need to be more grown up in your interaction with others. You need to be serious about work. This means using grown up words and sentences when communicating with others. Be specific and precise in your exchange of information so when something is amiss, its easier to pick up a miscommunication, which is a lot harder if communication are in more childish sentences that are vague in detail and instructions.

Its all about using this difficult experience to grow in maturity. I think anyone can learn a lot fro mthis experience. Good Luck.

hey look at the bright side. What does kill u makes u stronger. Once u get the hang of things and over come all these issues, it will just be a small matter in years to come. Thats bcos u been through it already, and know how to handle it.

Now you are facing a tough time bcos things are new, not enough time to develope a system to manage it. But given time, u will learn such skill and be better at it. So when it happens again in future, u can just say "Hey i did it before, and i can certainly do it better again"

Im just wondering what to do.. cause previously I was sooo pissed with everything and everyone here in the company that I work in now.. I requested my friends to send my resume to the other companies cause he said there got vacancy..

Should I go for the interview if there is a call from them?. I mean, I kinda like it here because I’ve got the “hang” of it on what I should do, at least how the system works lar.. bt on the other hand, I still do not agree with the way ppl work here. I remembered previously asking the seniors for the user manuals on the existing system, they just told me, its all in the brains.. bt last Friday as I was browsing some of the unused pc there were a list of all the user manuals that the vendors have provided to them previously.. and my senior told me the vendors did not prepare.. nt only 1 senior bt almost all of them..

It is the attitude of these ppl that drives me up the wall.. I know I shouldn’t be moaning and growling on other ppl’s weaknesses bt I just cant help it. At times I am in the wrong bt at times, I really feel exhausted. I have friends who are working in another company (same industry lar) they say at their place there, the training provided is sooo good and that they don’t face anything like what I face here. No doubt that there might be some ads and disadvantages..and I also know that humans will never be satisfied. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. My boss is a really nice 1.. bt how much weight does that carry, im really nt sure.

And fyi, im now actually underpaid loe cause some fresh grad (same industry different company) gets more then me. Im like.. 1 year here already and total experience is 2 .. so was thinking should I go for the money or the work satisfaction…

Yuri, just do what's best for yourself. Life is not so subjective, sometimes quitting something doesn't necessary mean you're weak, it's because you make choices and walk your own path that you think most suitable. As for relationship with other people, believe it or not, there are people who you can never successfully mingle with, call it 'different channel' if you like. If you can't stand it anymore, don't stay because you want to act tough or want to let others know you're not someone who will give up easily, be true to yourself. Quitting something does take courage after all...

well, just an update... i have turned down the interview because felt that it wasnt a better offer.. i was jz dying to leave.. bt i think i need to change my mindset 1st.. it is a leap towards my personal development and i need to really sit down and think of it..

as of now, i am awaiting a better opportunity in order to change.. i dont wanna jump from 1 hot pan to another d.. kekekek ..

thanks for every1's advice ya...

Yuri, I feel like I am experiencing the same problem like you. Same thing happen here....work in a big reputable company but it is shitty....and I come to realise if I continue working with my current position in this big company I think I will lose my competitiveness as the job scope is so limited - as in I only do inventory accounting. There are reasons for me to stay like the benefits, the high pay, and some of the colleagues but definitely not the career satisfaction...I have actually tendered resignation letter 2 days ago, but my manager and even the HOD tried hard to convince me to stay. They have said some really nice words that in fact has touched my heart. But should I change my mind just because of that??

At the same time, I have a job offer from a really small financial advisory company....it sort of like an agent to bank....helping SME to apply for loan and banking facilities....sound like an Account Relationship Manager thing...personally I think this job may help me to get into banking line....or at least will provide good platform for me if I want to diversify to other jobs. The pay they offer is same but the benefit is not as good.

3 or 4 years later, I will be going to Australia to fulfill my PR commitment, so I will have to work there. Personally I think it is perhaps easier for me to find a job in Australia if I were to accept the new offer from the small company....is it correct to think this way? Or only a big company will make my CV look better??

Since the HOD and manager of my current firm are trying hard to convince me to say I have promised them to re-consider again and will have to give them final answer on Monday. At this moment, I really don't have a clear mind to make decision... I just need your opinion....Appreciate your help...:)

well, my dear.. im nt sure if i could give you any good advices but here's what i think.. i read some magazine previously and it says that it is at some point crucial to think for ourselves. Yeah, a MNC is nice but if they are paying us peanuts then why stay?.. but for ur case, i think since ur preparing to leave for australia i think the company that u are currently in (The mnc company) will be a better choice lah.. just what i think..

cause after all ur leaving anyway and u definitely need a good resume.. by the time, ur bosses will also give you good appraisal cause since u've said that they tried to make u stay, they really do appreciate ur work and efforts lah.. that is if u can take another 3-4 years in the current company.. otherwise, think for urself and ur financials lah.. go get money for urself..

as for me, yeah i am actively looking right now.. looking for the right oppourtunity.. have been called several times bt turned it down cause i felt that it didnt suit me much..

anywya i hope u make the right decision and be happy about it..:P