Sign in to follow this  
trixie_

First time takin plane alone!

Hi girls, i'm going to Sydney on the 10th of April and there are a few things i'd like to ask..

Firstly, I booked my flight online for MAS airlines, and already payed and all and confirmed the flight. But I wish to extend my stay there for another 2 or 3 days. Can I do that?? How and are there any charges or conditions?

2ndly, my friend asked me to bring over dvds (those pirated ones) so am I allowed to do tht? Any special ways?

3rd. Those foodstuff like maggi n all can bring over and noneed to declare, rite?

Do tell. I'm quite nervous about all this =s

to your questions:

1. Call MAS direct and ask them about it, or go thru your travel agent. There are many types of fares and rates, even for the same class on the same flight depending on when you book & who you booked thru. Call them and get a confirmation paperwork and then read what they send you. A friend I know extended his stay & changed his flight but the travel agent got him on the plane one day early because the day he requested was fully booked, and told him "no problem, all fixed!" when he collected his admended ticket, but he wasn't happy when he arrived @ the airport to discover he was meant to be on yesterdays flight home.

2. Yes you can bring pirated DVD's Aust customs don't check that throughly. It will come up on their Xray machines but if they check everyone for each CD on what's legit and what pirated, the whole airport will close down. If you bring a whole bag full - then you're sure to be stopped, and even thrown into prison. If you're not comfortable, I'll rather tell you friend it's your first time travelling alone and you rather not unnessarily risk your holiday that you've been looking forward too. I'm sure they'll understand.

3. You need to declare all food stuff, you'll get a declaration card with you ticket you need to fill it in accurately. Check the Australians customs website on what you can bring in. Maggi and generally food that are packed and sealed are ok - but they need to be sealed in plastic bags, but eggs and dairy products cannot be brought in.

Apart from that, dont' worry about anything and use your common sense. Be early for your flight and if you're like me, bring along a good book for the flight and airport waiting time. Sydney is a very nice place and Australians are generally very friendly. Everything is properly signposted and organised. If you still get lost in the airport just go up to anyone in uniform and ask them, they'll be happy to give you the right info. Australian government customer service is the best i've used.

In anycase welcome to Australia! You've certainly chosen on of the best cities in the world to visit. Bring a camera, you'll enjoy it.

You must declare all foods, regardless of whether they are allowed in or not. It's ok to bring in Maggi mee but you still need to declare and show it to the customs. I'd advise you not to try to hide these things because they incur penalty if you're caught not declaring these things.

Other than that, Joukowski has covered everything in detail :)

There's little hassle declaring foodstuff, especially these are well packaged item and the customs there have seen THOUSANDS of Asian students & their families bringing it over :P

Just fill in the form (it's very simple, dont worry), and go to the THINGS TO DECLARE lane (not the GREEN LANE). Sometimes this lane is even faster than the green lane :)

Enjoy your holidays!

Edited by ilovechelc

thank you both :)

so its best if i do declare those maggi n stuff la..?

Yes, do declare. They'll let you pass, don't worry :)

hi everyone,

i will be bringing my mother to sydney next month, she needs to take those chinese medicine evryday for her leg,

it comes in a capsules form , insides the capsule is powder, ingredients are all in chinese version.

Should i seal it in a bag too? what should i do? Thank you sososooooooo much :praisegod:

Hey, pill and prescription medicines are ok. Just pack them seperately & if they're sealed in new bottles then is no problem.

Now chinese medicine that is a problem are dried mushrooms, dried animal bits and stuff like that. These carry bacteria that may be harmful to the Aust environment and plants.

Everything that's processed and sealed in a medicine bottle is ok.

Hi so ive changed my flight and everythings fine! THe only thing is im going this SUnday so i have to decide wht to pack now! Anyone stayng in SYdney able to tell me the best things to wear there ? Lol im in a crisis and i needs to know before i bring my whole closet there! Im staying there for two weeks.! Many thanks :)

Hey, pill and prescription medicines are ok. Just pack them seperately & if they're sealed in new bottles then is no problem.

Now chinese medicine that is a problem are dried mushrooms, dried animal bits and stuff like that. These carry bacteria that may be harmful to the Aust environment and plants.

Everything that's processed and sealed in a medicine bottle is ok.

TQ JOUKOWSKI..so i stll need to fill up and declare in the form?

2. Yes you can bring pirated DVD's Aust customs don't check that throughly. It will come up on their Xray machines but if they check everyone for each CD on what's legit and what pirated, the whole airport will close down. If you bring a whole bag full - then you're sure to be stopped, and even thrown into prison. If you're not comfortable, I'll rather tell you friend it's your first time travelling alone and you rather not unnessarily risk your holiday that you've been looking forward too. I'm sure they'll understand.

^^

Joukowski is absolutely spot-on. The laws against pirated DVD's are mostly there to protect the local industry. As long as you're not bringing in truckloads (and copies) they will turn a blind eye to it. The last time I went through customs, I opened my bag and my pirated DVD's were out in the open, and they just sifted through my bag a bit, and left it at that. I go back to M'sia every 1 - 2yrs and back to Melbourne again, and I've never had a problem with it. :)

Hi so ive changed my flight and everythings fine! THe only thing is im going this SUnday so i have to decide wht to pack now! Anyone stayng in SYdney able to tell me the best things to wear there ? Lol im in a crisis and i needs to know before i bring my whole closet there! Im staying there for two weeks.! Many thanks :)

According to the weather report, Sydney is going to have light rain and have temperatures ranging between 15 - 21 until Tuesday. I'd wear something warm if I were you, probably a light jacket/jeans etc. Its not going to be freezing cold (well depends on your perspective haha), but perhaps a bit chilly at times. I think after next Friday the weather starts to get warmer and sunnier. Anyway, hope you enjoy yourself! Lots of places to visit and see in Sydney... ^^

I'm a bit odd here. I've never travel alone in plane too. I am blur on where and when to check in, which terminal etc *shy shy*.

Can anyone help me here if I'm going to travel via Airasia from KL. And I heard everyone will rush to get a nice seat. Is it true?

Thanks a million

dat means u'll b flying from LCCT rite?1st u gotta check-in..there will b lots of counters over there..

jz read at d screen which flight r u going in n they will state d counter 2 check-in..

if im not mistaken, for airasia..u gotta check in 45 minutes-2 hours before d flight..

d place is not dat big so not a prob on going to which terminal n so forth..definitely wont sesat..

before u go 2 d counter, gotta scan our items 1st..

if d scanned items r to be put in d cargo, they will put sticker on d bag 2 mark it..otherwise, no need..

as for d rushing for d seats, its true!i owez wonder y u wanna rush for seating..still flying on d same flight worr..duhh~

since airasia dun have numbering like MAS, therefore ppl tend to rush to chop for seats..

but if ur likely to avoid dat, u can owez book d express boarding..which is about rm20 extra..

but its not dat much diff..u get to go on d flight for few minutes earlier..so can reserve ur own seat laa..

it's a great feeling to be flying for the first time. do remember that it's a long haul flight so be nice to your neighbours if you want them to reciprocate. for me, a simple hello, how are you and some small talk will do. you don't really want someone bugging you for the entire 8 hr journey. seatbelts are a must and i would recommend you to have them on even when the seatbelt indicator lights are off. you never know when you're going to hit an air pocket!

dvds are okay but bear in mind that you must not bring duplicates of movies for then these will give the authorities reason to slap you with a suspicion on peddling them. still, one should not overdo it by bringing boxloads. a few for personal entertainment is allowable.

all foodstuff should be declared especially those with fruit and nut contents. they are very anal about the content of food you bring in simply because australia is one big island nation and the airports are the gateways to epidemics if they do not control what goes in with a certain level of strictness

enjoy your flight and dont be shy to ask the stewards/stewardesses for anything. they're there to help you.

and oh please remember when you're travelling, always be cautious if strangers approach you for any sort of favours. politely decline if anyone asks you to keep anything for them or watch over their luggage. make sure you lock your bags at all time and be aware of anyone trying to slip something into your bags. you dont want to be a mule for them.