Sign in to follow this  
Firefox

Supplements for Women

Supplements for Women

The biological rhythms of ovulation, menstruation, contraception, conception, childbirth, lactation and menopause can send a woman's system off balance. It's no wonder that women experience a range of health issues all their own.

Poor diet, lack of exercise, stress and environmental factors can further complicate matters. While one should always consult a health practitioner, the following natural remedies may be beneficial for certain conditions.

Acidophilus, abundant in live culture yogurt, can be used to treat vaginal yeast infections.

Cranberry can help prevent or reduce the course of a urinary tract infection.

For menstrual cramps, try calcium, black cohosh, evening primrose oil, feverfew or raspberry leaf tea.

Symptoms of PMS (premenstrual syndrome) may be alleviated with antioxidant-rich vitamin C, vitamin E and selenium. Herbal remedies for this condition include chasteberry, dandelion root, dong quai, ginseng and nettle leaf.

Women with heavy periods may benefit from extra iron during menstruation. The birth control pill depletes the body of many vitamins and minerals and so women on the pill should be extra-conscientious of their diet and supplement intake.

Menopause often brings with it an array of unpleasant symptoms such as hot flashes, vaginal dryness, night sweats and mood swings. Consuming plenty of vitamin C, vitamin E, selenium, flavenoids and soy isoflavones can strengthen capillary walls and prevent the dilation that causes hot flashes.

Some claim that phytoestrogen-rich herbs like black cohosh, calendula, chasteberry and wild yam can help balance hormone levels, relieve menopausal symptoms and act like a natural form of hormone replacement therapy.

For moodiness and depression brought on by menopause, ensure you get an adequate supply of B vitamins, vitamins C and E, calcium and magnesium. Herbs like St. John's wort, evening primrose oil, lemon balm, motherwort, lavender, camomile and valerian can also have a calming, mood enhancing effect.

Women begin to lose bone mass in their mid-twenties, and even more once they hit menopause, which is why osteoporosis is such a concern. Women, especially those over 50, should consider taking extra calcium and its absorption-helper vitamin D to counteract their propensity towards osteoporosis. Magnesium, zinc, vitamin K and the B vitamins are also important bone builders.

Heart disease is the number one killer of women, more so than breast cancer. The herb hawthorn is said to improve coronary blood flow, tone the heart muscle and reduce angina.

The best way to regulate female hormones and for overall health is to use progesterone cream for 15 days from the 12th day of your period..do this monthly, it helps minimise risks of having breast cancer/cervical cancer, helps regulate hormone production. Periods will be more regular too!

The best way to regulate female hormones and for overall health is to use progesterone cream for 15 days from the 12th day of your period..do this monthly, it helps minimise risks of having breast cancer/cervical cancer, helps regulate hormone production. Periods will be more regular too!

teff, its the first time i heard of this cream, do u mind o share with me more? its to apply, and not to consume right? thanks a bunch~~! :)

teff, its the first time i heard of this cream, do u mind o share with me more? its to apply, and not to consume right? thanks a bunch~~! :)

Hi ning..yeah it's a topical application, not to be consumed. There is a misconception that progesterone cream is only for pre/peri-menopausal women but it's actually excellent for women at all ages..can start from as early as teenage years. To be frank, my mum introduced this to me last year. I started using this cream in November 2007 and I've noticed a HUGE difference. But I dont think it is sold in Malaysia (havent seen any around). My mum orders from a US website, brand name Progesta Care. Upon conversion, a bottle would cost about RM200 (incl delivery), but a bottle lasts me almost 6 months (am still using my first bottle).

It helps to regulate the female hormones to ensure that our progesterone hormone is up to its optimum level. Women tend to have estrogen dominance hence our dreadful period pain, acne, tender/swollen breasts, stress/anger before our menses. Progesterone cream applied for 15 days from the 12th day of your period counters those PMS effectively. This is the best I know of the product. You can try googling the words "progesterone cream" to learn more.

Cheers babe. :)

Hi ning..yeah it's a topical application, not to be consumed. There is a misconception that progesterone cream is only for pre/peri-menopausal women but it's actually excellent for women at all ages..can start from as early as teenage years. To be frank, my mum introduced this to me last year. I started using this cream in November 2007 and I've noticed a HUGE difference. But I dont think it is sold in Malaysia (havent seen any around). My mum orders from a US website, brand name Progesta Care. Upon conversion, a bottle would cost about RM200 (incl delivery), but a bottle lasts me almost 6 months (am still using my first bottle).

It helps to regulate the female hormones to ensure that our progesterone hormone is up to its optimum level. Women tend to have estrogen dominance hence our dreadful period pain, acne, tender/swollen breasts, stress/anger before our menses. Progesterone cream applied for 15 days from the 12th day of your period counters those PMS effectively. This is the best I know of the product. You can try googling the words "progesterone cream" to learn more.

Cheers babe. :)

wow! it sounds so interesting. i think this is better to take supplements.. 8)

For controlling a woman's hormones, you can try either Evening Primrose Oil.

This product is effective in controlling my period but lately, it has lose it's effect and I gain weight after taking it.

My Mum introduced me to a product sold as Nuvafemme. Anyone tried this product?

It was advertised in Wah Lai Toi last month and I have called the company to enquire. They have asked me to check their blog http://genistein.blogspot.com

Times are bad... This product helps controls PMS, good for skin and also can be used to increase breast size. :wub:

Anyone here tried it?