Sign in to follow this  
kas00

my first time stay in room to let in setapak advised pls

this is my first time stay in room to let in setapak. advised pls

this room rental term.. the house owner told me on room rental is rm350 + 2 month deposit = total rm1050

i will travel from JB to KL setapak to see the room ... but i worry.. after i pay money rm1050... she will denied a rental to me and chase me out of the house... my friend told me there is a lot of scam about this.. even police cannot help without proof...you know la .. agreement talk only.. later after get money talk can twist one...later can say oh "deposit cannot refund because we agree"..but i didn't

i'm trying to be cautious.. is there anyway to prevent this??

Edited by kas00

this is my first time stay in room to let in setapak. advised pls

this room rental term.. the house owner told me on room rental is rm350 + 2 month deposit = total rm1050

i will travel from JB to KL setapak to see the room ... but i worry.. after i pay money rm1050... she will denied a rental to me and chase me out of the house... my friend told me there is a lot of scam about this.. even police cannot help without proof...you know la .. agreement talk only.. later after get money talk can twist one...later can say oh "deposit cannot refund because we agree"..but i didn't

i'm trying to be cautious.. is there anyway to prevent this??

really ? there's scams like that?!

i'm also thinking to find a place in setapak.. but heard the area there very dangerous ler especially at night..

ya, that is the standard one la one rental and 2 months deposit. Ask the owner to give your receipt. Do not bank in the money to the owner. Go view the room 1st. If u like it then only rent. Ask whether or not electricity and water is included? ask also whether or not she will charge u extra IF you have TV or computer. Some owner do charge extra for that, very stupid. Setapak is a bit dangerous la from what you read from the newspaper but my friend had been renting room there for years ady and she is loving it there despite all the news.

few question u need to ask the owner:

1. y r he/she renting the room out?

2. how much is the renting? 2 + 1 (which mean 2 month deposit + 1 month utility (water, Electricity etc.))

3. ask how many time he/she been renting the room out b4 u

4. possible to ask the neighbour izzit save to stay they (try to get infor and survey the situation)

5. where is the nearest bus stand or store to purchase goods (for ur convenience)

6. can request for black n white (agreement) although is 1 room.

7. when end of d contract, did they request u to repaint the wall, fix the toilet etc. cos if renting for example 1 yr the wall will have some stain or dirty, toilet flush system condem etc.

ask as many question as u can. no harm if he/she is a genuine owner.

phew~~~ this is wat i can think of ^_^

good luck ya.. kas00~~

just make sure you got reciepts for everything. Basically proof that you paid for rent and deposit. My lawyer always says, if you can't trust a body, the best thing is don't do business. But I think I can live with proof in black and white.

few question u need to ask the owner:

1. y r he/she renting the room out?

2. how much is the renting? 2 + 1 (which mean 2 month deposit + 1 month utility (water, Electricity etc.))

3. ask how many time he/she been renting the room out b4 u

4. possible to ask the neighbour izzit save to stay they (try to get infor and survey the situation)

5. where is the nearest bus stand or store to purchase goods (for ur convenience)

6. can request for black n white (agreement) although is 1 room.

7. when end of d contract, did they request u to repaint the wall, fix the toilet etc. cos if renting for example 1 yr the wall will have some stain or dirty, toilet flush system condem etc.

ask as many question as u can. no harm if he/she is a genuine owner.

phew~~~ this is wat i can think of ^_^

good luck ya.. kas00~~

wah...black and white. You sound like a lawyer. R u a lawyer. Anyway, i don't think the landlord/landlady will bother drafting a tenancy agreement for you la. But you have a very good points.

BTW, don't forget to check who are the other people staying there. Make sure they are decent people.

wah...black and white. You sound like a lawyer. R u a lawyer. Anyway, i don't think the landlord/landlady will bother drafting a tenancy agreement for you la. But you have a very good points.

BTW, don't forget to check who are the other people staying there. Make sure they are decent people.

i'm not a lawyer. just that previously i go thru some process of selling/renting hse.

from what i understand renting a house vs a room is different. normally when its a room there wont be any contract/tenancy agreement given just monthly receipt and basic understanding. renting a house you are require to do up a contract/tenancy agreement and rent for a minimum of a year but not so for a room.

so if kas00 us renting a room and not a house guess its kinda hard for him to get a contract out from the owner in this case.

hahahhaa...i will be freak out if the malaysia landlord mostly china man aunty and uncle give me an agreement to sign. Anyway, happy hunting.